Improved times due to weight loss (Read 822 times)

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Any comments or experiences.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Top 'O the World!

I'd like to think so.....but then again, maybe it's only that I'm training more w/my legs than w/my jaw these days.... Big grin
      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
        Any comments or experiences.
        Use the search feature. This has been discussed here several times in the last 3-6 months.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Bugs

hard to say, my weight gain always happens when I run less.

Bugs

Yes. Can't remember where, but there is a chart that estimates (roughly) how much faster you will be based on weight loss coupled with consistent training. I increased mileage, lost 25 pounds, and imporved marathon time by 18 minutes.

VictorN

I thought I had a link somewhere, but I can't find it. I believe rule of thumb is 1 second per mile per pound of weight loss. Victor
              Eustace Tierney

YoYo

thanks all! found a link.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

VictorN

thanks all! found a link.
                  Care to share? Victor
                  Eustace Tierney

YoYo

www.runningforfitness.org/calc/weighteffect.php

Here is my experience with a 5K I did every April from 2002 to 2005. The weight represents a six month average. I weighed myself after every run, and put the number in my running log. I did not do the 5K in 2006, but did it in 2007. I did not record my weight that year, so did not add it to the list. Date, 5K Time, Average Weight 04/20/2002, 21:33, 185.11 04/19/2003, 20:18, 166.77 04/17/2004, 20:06, 167.91 04/16/2005, 20:04, 167.24 I improved the most when I lost a lot of weight. However, I continued to improve even though I gained a little back. __________ The race this year is April 19! Smile