Summer Vacations ideas -Finger Lakes? (Read 748 times)

One thing we did that was good.  We stayed for like 5 days in Watkins Glen, and got a pass to use the pool in the NY State Park that was there.  So, swimming was covered.

Then when we drove up to Niagara (went to the CA side), stayed a few days there.

It was killer hot that summer (2005).  On the way back home, we stopped at every NY State Park that was on our way home in two hour intervals that had a place to swim.  Took in some hikes, lunch, etc.  You can (or could) get day passes that work on any park.  So, one pass, and all the parks we stopped at we got in with no problem.

It took us forever to get home (south jersry), but, who cares? 

Jeff

btb1490

Did a driving tour through there last year.  Awesome trip.  Skaneateles is beautiful.  Canandaigua is a neat town also, visit the culinary institute if you go there.  If you go west far enough, be sure to hit Letchworth State Park, what a gem.  Have fun!

gltsts2

Watkins Glen is really nice. We did that years ago with the kids. Stayed in a hotel right on the lake and then walked around the Glen. They have (did have) a neat show at night with lasers which gives a history of the Glen. You can do day trips to the wineries, up to Seneca Falls and the other lakes. Pretty much anywhere you go in the Finger Lakes region is beautiful.

Watkins Glen is really nice. We did that years ago with the kids. Stayed in a hotel right on the lake and then walked around the Glen. They have (did have) a neat show at night with lasers which gives a history of the Glen. You can do day trips to the wineries, up to Seneca Falls and the other lakes. Pretty much anywhere you go in the Finger Lakes region is beautiful.

We stayed in a little motel which was technically not on the lake, *just* north of the town, but on a road that was on the lake, way up high.  So it was a fantastic view.  On the other side of the road (and train tracks), there was a dock owned by the motel, which we used for swimming and grilling.  And a fire too.  It was nice.  But, even though it was killer hot, in the evening, it got nippy out with breezes off the cold water.  Which was a nice touch.

The hike up the glen was neat.  I, being a runner, made it up with no problem.  Barely broke a sweat.  Everyone else though, was beat.  We walked down through the other part of the park to get back.

Jeff

Just got back, and wanted to say it was amazing. 

And running?  Wow, lots of hills.  Well, mini mountains.   I swear, this one hill was so long, so steep, and just kept going and going.  I am not kidding, my ears popped.    Man, if you lived around there, you would be a hill expert!

We started off at a B&B in Watkins Glen. Went to Farm Sanctuary. Amazing place. And yes, I am now off meat and considering dairy. 

After the B&B, we rented a cabin at Treman State Park, just outside of Ithaca.  Amazing parks,. great hiking, beauttiful waterfalls, just amazing.

Our last stop was tent camping just outside of Pen Yan, at Keuka lake.  Beautiful , quiet.

We really enjoyed the gorge at Watkins Glen State Park.  Our girls hiked the whole thing too. ( 3 miles )    Buttermilk Falls in Ithaca was uphill, and tons of steep steps but worth the hike.   We did have to carry the 5 year old most of the way !

I love New York.  I'm from Michigan, and have always thought that Up North Michigan was the best place for kids, with Sleeping Bear Sand dunes, etc.  But, I was so surprised and happy with the Finger Lakes.   Only bad thing was the swimming does not open unitl June 17th.  The kids are still in school up there and they just don't open the swimming areas until then.   But, man, Seneca Lake was only 60 degress, so we didn't miss it :-)

For any cat lovers, check out the Ginger Cat Vegan B&B in Watkins Glen.   Interesting place, and the girls loved it!   My fiance, not so much Smile  He's just not a B&B person if you know what I mean.

- Anya

Cntrygal

I grew up on Keuka...and am very partial to that lake. Some nice restaurants/winerys...Bully Hill comes to mind.  Short drive from Keuka over to Senaca, which also has some nice winery/vineyards.  The kids will love itWink

I grew up between Keuka and Seneca Lakes!  (Went to Penn Yan High School)!

Anyway.... The Finger Lakes region is beautiful. 

Cntrygal

Anya, I'm so glad you guys had a great time!  Smile