Running and Motrin (Ibuproen) (Read 2401 times)

Everything I said about ibuprofen applies to all NSAIDs, including naproxen.

I thought of you this weekend Trent.  I ran the Steamtown marathon, and at about mile 6 or so there was a spectator handing out Ibuprofen.  I thought you would be proud.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Golden Buff

I've read that aspirin does not cause the same malfunction, particularly if adequate hydration is maintained. I take a daily aspirin and run 3 to 6 days per week.  Have I been misinformed?
      Curt
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Daily aspirin for vascular care (i.e., 81 or 325 mg, once daily) is safe for most people.  Multiple doses of aspiring and/or higher doses is likely to have similar risk to other NSAIDs.
        galberras

fear the Col Sanders

I thought of you this weekend Trent.  I ran the Steamtown marathon, and at about mile 6 or so there was a spectator handing out Ibuprofen.  I thought you would be proud.

I was on the bus ride up to my first marathon this last June.  Next to me were two seasoned marathoners discussing the veritable drug stores they were packing in their shorts.

I felt woefully unprepared as all I had in my shorts was two Hammer Gels...

Just because I look dumb doesn't mean I'm not...

dennrunner

I know there's a joke there somewhere.

Marathon Maniac #957

My advice: don't use this line to try to pick up women...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

#artbydmcbride

Trent, how about Tylenol 8 hour ?

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The main problem with tylenol is that you cannot drink alcohol, and running without beer is just not worthwhile.
                  JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

Everything I said about ibuprofen applies to all NSAIDs, including naproxen.

Everything you say is true, assuming you are taking the NSAIDs in doses far beyond the normal recommended levels.  Her comment after I read your post to her was, "yes, that's true if you took half a bottle".

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Everything you say is true, assuming you are taking the NSAIDs in doses far beyond the normal recommended levels

Yes.  And at regular doses too.

At regular doses, some people will encounter renal failure and GI bleeding.  It is rare, or else these drugs would not be available over the counter.  But it is not as rare as you might think.  And certain activities increase the risk.  One of those activities is running.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

So taking 4 Excedrin every day probably wasn't a good idea for me, huh?  Yikes.  Now I'm on amitriptyline (10 mg a day), and that takes care of most of my headaches.  I've been tested, and the conclusion was that my headaches are just due to tension.

So taking 4 Excedrin every day probably wasn't a good idea for me, huh?  Yikes.  Now I'm on amitriptyline (10 mg a day), and that takes care of most of my headaches.  I've been tested, and the conclusion was that my headaches are just due to tension.

Teresa -- if your headaches are due to tension -- then my prescription for you is more running......that will relieve the tension..........

Champions are made when no one is watching

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Teresa -- if your headaches are due to tension -- then my prescription for you is more running......that will relieve the tension..........

Well, I thought running would help in that area, but that's the one thing it hasn't done for me!  In general, though, I feel much better (and am in a much better mood according to my kids!).

#artbydmcbride

There are other fun activities that reduce tension also.

Runners run

There are other fun activities that reduce tension also.

Yeah, but when I smoke weed it makes me so hongry.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?