Running and Motrin (Ibuproen) (Read 2401 times)

#artbydmcbride

True.......how about Alleve?

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Alleve = Naproxen = NSAID

Best Present Ever

so everytime this comes up, I wonder what should I do when my knee flares up?  Etodolac helps a lot, but obviously I need to take it regularly.  it doesn't make sense to stop running so that I can take the medicine that helps me keep running! Oral steroids are great, too, but much more of a risk than the etodolac. My sports medicine doc doesn't seem too worried about the etodolac and running.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Go back to my original rant, wherein I state that it is okay to do it under the supervision of a doc in treatment of a specific problem.  It is the popping of NSAIDs to treat the normal aches and pains of running that worries me.

it makes me so hongry.

is that hungry and horny at the same time?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

xor

Forgive bonkin, he's in Texas.

so everytime this comes up, I wonder what should I do when my knee flares up?  Etodolac helps a lot, but obviously I need to take it regularly.  it doesn't make sense to stop running so that I can take the medicine that helps me keep running! Oral steroids are great, too, but much more of a risk than the etodolac. My sports medicine doc doesn't seem too worried about the etodolac and running.

As Trent said, if your knee pain is preventing you from running, than take the pain medication (at the regular dose).  But if it's just achy, then learn to live with it.  Back in college, I had an issue where the pointy bone below my knee would hurt like a dagger.  Before an important half marathon, I decided to take 400mg of Advil.  I had zero trouble with the bone and ran a huge PR.  After that day, the pain went away and I didn't need to take medication again.

I don't see why people feel they need to alleviate EVERY soreness and ache they experience.  Soreness is good, and it's there for a reason; let it talk to you.  As Wesley in The Princess Bride said, "Life is pain; anyone that says otherwise is selling something."

Forgive bonkin, he's in Texas.

Heh. Nice log. Bout time.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

xor

sssh.  Don't tell.

Best Present Ever

Go back to my original rant, wherein I state that it is okay to do it under the supervision of a doc in treatment of a specific problem.  It is the popping of NSAIDs to treat the normal aches and pains of running that worries me.

right, I get that.   I suppose the underlying rationale is that the risk/benefit ratio in the case of meds prescribed by a doc is such that it's reasonable to take the meds.  Except that I wonder if that's really true.  I often think, "is it really reasonable to risk kidney failure because I want to run?"  Then I think, "oh shit, I don't care, I want to go for a run," and I do, and when my knee feels twinge-y in that prodromal, pre-visible-swelling way, I take etodolac for a few days in the hopes that it won't swell this time.  Then this thread pops up again in some form, and the hypochondriac in me worries about imminent kidney failure, and so on ....

HOSS1961

The main problem with tylenol is that you cannot drink alcohol, and running without beer is just not worthwhile.

One of the main reasons to run...

I guess what is important is that if you are too injured to not run w/o pain relievers then you may need to not run.  Understand your pain.

HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured

uncontrollable

alcohol with motrin is a no no as well

peace

I guess what is important is that if you are too injured to not run w/o pain relievers then you may need to not run.  Understand your pain.

Very true.  I wish I hadn't learned this lesson the hard way.