Wisdom teeth coming out Monday - what to eat? (Read 1455 times)

:-( 

Yikes, I hope none of this stuff happens to me. I keep having bad dreams about it! 

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -- Leonard Bernstein

Rookie Runner

You'll do fine! Smile

Doc, my tooth hurts

If you are able to eat before the surgery, take 600mg of ibuprofen.  Then keep eating ibuprofen religiously for about a week and that will be most effective in limiting pain.  Maybe your oral surgeon will be nice and prescribe you something with hydro or oxy in it and that will make you not care if you are in pain.  It should say on the post op sheet they give you what you can and cannot eat.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If you are able to eat before the surgery, take 600mg of ibuprofen.  Then keep eating ibuprofen religiously for about a week and that will be most effective in limiting pain.  Maybe your oral surgeon will be nice and prescribe you something with hydro or oxy in it and that will make you not care if you are in pain.  It should say on the post op sheet they give you what you can and cannot eat.

Shocked

My experience:  I had my wisdom teeth cut out years ago.  The dentist prescribed Vicoden - took that as prescribed the first day...but took nothing after that first day.  I ate a chicken sandwich and fries 12 hours after surgery - never had any issues eating normal food.  I also smoked a pack a day.  I had no problems.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

When I had wisdom teeth pulled, canned pears were wonderful to eat after. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Had mine out and had no real issues at all.  No popcorn is the best advice I have seen here!  Those little parts are hard as hell to get out of the empty space left by the tooth's absence.  Soft foods but you should be good for solid foods as soon as you can bear to open your mouth wide enough to eat it.  Boost and ensure types are good for a filler up and to "ensure" you get a "boost" of energy from maintianing a balanced diet!  All in all just follow the post op plan until you feel somewhat normal.  It may take some time for the empty spaces to fill in and get back to normal.  Flush it out and rinse and spit often.  Oh yeah and no sucking for a week or so!

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

Thanks, all! 

8:15 tomorrow morning, wish me luck! Smile 

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -- Leonard Bernstein

Julia1971

Thanks, all! 

8:15 tomorrow morning, wish me luck! Smile 

Good luck!

My favorite memory of having my wisdom teeth taken out is waking up crying.  I guess some people react that way to going under.  I felt bad because a good friend drove me home after the surgery and I was a sobbing, babbling mess.  (I told a boss of mine this story years later and she said it was a sign of emotional immaturity.  Sad )

As far as food, I remember not being able to keep anything down.  I don't tolerate antibiotics well.  They tear my stomach up something awful.  But, if I recall I had a lot of tomato soup with crackers.  That's what my mom always made me when I was sick, so it's my "get well" food.

My favorite memory of having my wisdom teeth taken out is waking up crying.  I guess some people react that way to going under.  I felt bad because a good friend drove me home after the surgery and I was a sobbing, babbling mess.

I remember taking my shoes off before the procedure...then waking up in the recovery room accusing the dentist of stealing my shoes.

PS:  I was wearing them.

Good luck tomorrow! 

12-week layoff

Good luck today, Tangerine.  Hope you don't hit on your dentist as I did.  I was 12...he was... maybe 40?   But it seemed like a good idea at the time.  I have stayed away from the gas since then.

SMART Approach

Good luck Tangerine! You need some nutrition post surgery including protein. Applesauce and pudding will not provide that. Blended fruit smoothies with protein, meal replacement shakes etc. A milk shake is fine but don't live on them. Any other soft food would be ok also. Everyone has a different experience with their wisdom teeth. I stayed awake and thought it was cool how the dentist braced himself on the chair and cut and then used all his muscle and leverage to pull. I will never forget the sound of the teeth coming out. Others want to be put under. My recovery was fine - a lot of bleeding but I have a high pain tolerance. I didn't take any pain medicine other than Tylenol for a day or two. I skipped the narcotics. Careful with the Ibuprofen. I think Trent spit up on himself when that post came up Smile Everyone also has a different pain tolerance. My big brother cries when he gets his finger pricked. You will make it. Good luck with your recovery.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

My jaw is incredibly painful and I am bleeding a lot. This sucks. 

an amazing likeness

My jaw is incredibly painful and I am bleeding a lot. This sucks. 

It may suck, but recommend you try not to suck. You don't want to swallow much of the seepage....it can get your tummy pretty upset quickly.  Looks better to drool blood and guts, anyway.  Have someone get pictures. 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

It may suck, but recommend you try not to suck. You don't want to swallow much of the seepage....it can get your tummy pretty upset quickly.  Looks better to drool blood and guts, anyway.  Have someone get pictures. 

Thanks. I have no appetite too, so I've had about 3 tablespoons of applesauce all day. Just enough to get something in the stomach before the vicodin. Which, by the way, I swear I was immune to or something for like 2 hrs. Now that the pain has finally started to go down in intensity, maybe it works. I don't want to swallow anything. And I discovered that spitting hurts like a bitch.