House Hunting sucks. (Read 638 times)

Village people

Selling a house is 1,000,000 times worse.

I agree. We sold one house and that is it, I am staying put.

Good luck.

CrisRuns

It's incredibly stressful, I agree. Hopefully you can get the house you want and enjoy it for a long time. Good luck!

We have to sell and move overseas... We bought at the peak of the housing market, of course. It's not going to be fun.

bhearn

Yeah, house hunting sucks.

House selling sucks worse.

Never having the financial resources to be able to buy a house sucks the most.

Keep it in perspective.

There are different kinds of suck. House selling can suck, I guess, as you watch your property sit on the market and have to keep dropping the price. I have been lucky enough to always sell everything quickly. It's mostly about money.

Likewise, not having the financial resources to be able to buy a house is also about money.

But house hunting... there are special kinds of suck there. One kind we just went through is hunting in a market with very low inventory. Inventory in the Bay Area is about a third of normal now. So you have a lot less to choose from, and a lot more competition. Then, when you find something you are actually willing to offer on, for me at least, this requires a big emotional commitment. I have to see, feel myself living there, perceive it as my actual future, before moving forward to offer. Then... in this market... the rug gets pulled out from under you when you are not the highest bidder. Sorry, the life you just committed to is gone, better luck next time. It took us six(!) tries this time. That's a lot of world-shattering. And for most people hunting in the Bay Area it is much worse; we had the good fortune (or so we thought) to be looking at the higher end of the market.

Like some of the other posters, I do enjoy looking at property. But it can get old. I have other things I'd like to do with my weekends, sometimes, besides hit open houses.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Selling with a congentency is a long, drawn out stressful experience that I hope to never live through again. The buyers should have closed on their house in another state today. This one is supposed to close 2 weeks from today. Our sub-division has 15+ homes that have been on the market longer than the 4 1/2 months our home spent on the list.

We didn't want to deal with a contengency, but when it's the only offer you get, at asking price........

bhearn

Good luck.

One thing I will say about Bay Area real estate, stuff happens really fast here. When we sold our house in Vancouver (BC), closing took a couple of months. Here, literally one week from offer to closing. That was exceptionally fast, but it's never very long.

I'll just say that I hope your seller doesn't happen to be a hoarder who still hasn't moved out the day before the closing, and still manages to leave an infestation of fleas behind for you to deal with on your own while your husband is overseas and you take care of your 4 children under the age of 6.  Cuz that would really suck.  

The fun part of buying a house is that you always get a story out of it.  Joking

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

Neverrow, weren't you thinking of moving to R. O. ? (trying to protect your privacy by using initials) Have you made it up here? Is that the town you decided on? (if I've confused you with someone else, forgive me)

an amazing likeness

[bump] (test)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

xor

[grind](success)

an amazing likeness

[grind](success)

Not for me...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

bhearn

I'll just say that I hope your seller doesn't happen to be a hoarder who still hasn't moved out the day before the closing, and still manages to leave an infestation of fleas behind for you to deal with on your own while your husband is overseas and you take care of your 4 children under the age of 6.  Cuz that would really suck.  

This is our backyard two weeks after moving in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgvsl0zE__k

Hollie S.

Merry Christmas!

Uggghhhh.........hate househunting. I might be moving and cant find a house for the right price. *hates the whole dang thing*

I wish I was as young as I look in the forum picture! But I'm not. :(

I'm dealing with this now with an investment property I'm buying.  There is crap everywhere... if it's not out by closing, the contract specifies $100/day in fines, but collecting that from a seller with no money isn't likely.

I'm just planning to rent a roll-off dumpster to have it all hauled away.   Anyone want a sailboat?  Smile

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

...and the week before closing the appraisal comes back low. It turns out that when the house was built in the 70's the tax office recorded the wrong sq. footage by over 50 feet. It has been sold 3 times.

34 years later, we have to drop the price $7500 or they walk.

Closing is still next week. As of today.

...and the week before closing the appraisal comes back low. It turns out that when the house was built in the 70's the tax office recorded the wrong sq. footage by over 50 feet. It has been sold 3 times.

34 years later, we have to drop the price $7500 or they walk.

Closing is still next week. As of today.

I'd let them walk... unless you have to sell immediately.