Power Menu (Read 505 times)

Ok so DW got me a little pamphlet about healthy tips for runners. Well in this pamphlet there is a sample low-fat menu that is loaded with carbs and proteins and I am thinking about trying this tomorrow to carbo load for the Gate River Run 15k....without further ado: Breakfast: One cup non fat yogurt mixed with one cup fresh fruit; 2 whole wheat English muffins with 1 tablespoon each jam and peanut butter. Lunch: Grilled Chicken Sandwich made with 1 whole grain roll, 3 ounces grilled, skinless chicken and 1 teaspoon each mustard and mayo; 1 cup vegetable salad with 1 tablespoon vinegar and oil dressing; 3 oatmeal cookies Dinner: Chinese dinner of 2 cups steamed rice topped with 2 ounces lean beef (will be substituted with turkey due to not eating red meat) and 1 cup broccoli (sitr-fry); 2 cups green salad with one tablespoon sesame dressing; 2 fortune cookies (skipping this one) Snack: One 6-ounce can veggie juice; 2 ounces low salt hard pretzels So tell me what ya'll think of this Jeremy
    2009 Goals...:
    -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon

running yogi

3 oatmeal cookies ? I don't know about that. Also 2 cups of rice ? It doesn't say but I would go for the brown kind.
        Sounds pretty good, what time should I show up for dinner? I actually don't give any thought to pre-race nutrition, which isn't a very good idea. Gotta leave room for improvement somewhere, right? I personally worry more about pre-race hydration and post-race nutrition (for rebuilding abused muscles). Nice of your wife to pick it up for you, that kind of support is priceless.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

The Greatest of All Time

How many total calories is that? How many grams of carbs? I don't see anything really offensive about that. Looks pretty clean, assuming the oatmeal cookies are reasonably calorie dense.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            I'd add a frothy protein shake. Just kidding. Looks pretty good. Of course, if you're still hungry you might want to find some additional healthy snacks too... or red Twizlers. A personal favourite. Typically, I don't eat different before a race. Maybe a bit more. Possibly pasta, though not necessarily. Some salty snacks in warmer weather like the pretzels you've mentioned, though not nearly as precise as 2 oz. If you've been eating well all along I wouldn't sweat it too much.