Body Aches from illness.... (Read 645 times)

A Saucy Wench

So I have a bad cold with body aches...wake up in the morning feeling like I ran the marathon yesterday. Why is this? I have always wondered. Clearly the muscles really are tighter than normal, its not just nerve confusion. I pulled my hamstring yesterday putting my daughter in her carseat which pisses me off to no end. Hopefully it is minor and wont impact any running once I am able to run again.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

The Greatest of All Time

Well, the medical answer to your question is your immune system causes the body aches. Specifically interleukins relased by macrophages in response to an infection, which a cold technically is (albeit a viral infection). Interleukins cause muscle pain and nerve hypersensitivy. IL-2, interleukin 2, is a known causative agent in fevers that you get with certain infections. It's actually a sign that your body is working to kill the virus so that's a good thing. I know it sucks, but it will pass. Just take some Ibuprofen and rest.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The Greatest of All Time

You call yourself an attorney?
        Lol. One of my undergrad degrees is a B.S. in Biochemistry...science nerd.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I hear that JD/MDs do very well. Wink

The Greatest of All Time

I hear that JD/MDs do very well. Wink
            I have heard the same thing, but do not have first hand knowledge. Could be something to look at in the future although the thought of being a 'student' again doesn't sit well with me. I would have to relearn so much long forgotten stuff to take the MCAT....