Falling asleep while running (Read 362 times)

ROD in Miami

Really spooky thing happened to me this morning.  Bad night -- for a bunch of reasons only got a bit over an hour sleep last night.  Nonetheless, as always, no matter how much my body needs sleep, at 5:30am sharp my eyes pop wide awake.  So before 6am, still pre-dawn pitch dark, I'm out the door running my usual morning 6.2-mile out-&-back.

The last I clearly remember is pushing my Garmin button as I start out past my mail-box.  Next awareness is I'm running along at a random spot on my route that in the darkness I could not at first tell from any other spot - but still on my route.  For several seconds am kind of confused as to where I am.  Hit the light on the Garmin and see I'm past 0.8 miles.  That gives me enough bearings so I then recognize where I am and what's ahead.

Freaky.  Anyone else experience something like this?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

How was your pace?  Maybe you could race an ultra and sleep through the pain.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, but I go with scary.  How about the street crossings while unconscious?  Recipe for disaster?  I suggest a good deal more than one hour of sleep in the future.

Missing time? You didn't see one of these guys on your run, did you?

jeffdonahue

Never had that happen running, but it has happened while driving.  Driving along then all of a sudden I think back and can't actually remember the last mile or two at all.

tinman11

Were you sleepwalking from the start or did you wake up, start running, then fall asleep?

This may be something you don't really know for sure.

zonykel

I don't think you "fell asleep". Your brained probably went into auto mode in cruise control. That probably happens when you do monotonous things repetitively. When I take a shower, sometimes I forget if shampooed my hair or not. And as others mentioned, when you drive the same route, you may not remember what happened from one moment to the next. your Brain is simply retracing well-known patterns that have been imprinted in it with repetition.

L Train

I think that's pretty cool.  And only having one ultra experience as a pacer between 12:30 AM and 6:30 (for someone who had already run for 15 hours) I can imagine that you are not at all alone in this.

Once, at 3:30 AM, I was running down a long dark road, and I think this happened.  I was just sort of running along on "auto-pilot", and came up to a stop sign at the end of the road.  It sort of woke me up.  I don't remember anything about running down that road.  Maybe it was because it was dark out, and all I was doing was focusing on the road below me, not sure.  There are very few street lamps on that road, and it's in a rural area, even at 6 AM there aren't many cars, and at 3:30, there are absolutely none.

I don't know if I was asleep, or in just one of those modes similar to the other poster's experiences while driving.

Oh, and so you don't have to ask why I was running at 3:30 AM...I was training for a marathon, needed to get an 18 miler in that week, and had commitments on Sat and Sun, so I had to do it at 3 AM Friday morning.  In the summer.  When it was 80 degrees out.  It wasn't pleasant.

Jeff

LeighDS

Live Free & Run

Wow, freaky. I've never had it happen while I was running. But I used to have "black phases" during reading (mostly boring stuff) where I would start to read that all of a sudden I realzied I was a few pages into it but don't remember a damn thing I read!

But the 1 hour of sleep I am feeling didn't hep you on this run.

PRs

1-Mile - 6:18 on 4-4-2015

5K - 21:48 on 10-31-2015

10K - 47:57 on 10-24-2015

HM - 1:52:36 on 3-25-2017

FULL - 4:41:12 on 1-11-2015

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Disney World 19.3 Challenge

Race the Runways 10K

Wandering Wally

I don't go to sleep, but sometimes I get so deep in thought I lose track of the outside world when I'm running.  I'll kind of "come back" and look around and have no idea how I got where I am.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Gator eye

Sometimes during a run I'll zone out only to wake up and find I don't remember the last couple of miles but never from the first part of a run.

FSBD

This is a bit off topic but this thread reminded me of this song.

http://youtu.be/yy-Z-6-Mcus

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

ROD in Miami

I don't think you "fell asleep". Your brained probably went into auto mode in cruise control. That probably happens when you do monotonous things repetitively. When I take a shower, sometimes I forget if shampooed my hair or not. And as others mentioned, when you drive the same route, you may not remember what happened from one moment to the next. your Brain is simply retracing well-known patterns that have been imprinted in it with repetition.

That may be.  Might not have been asleep just brain "checked out".  Spooky though.

csab

Happened to me more than once. It's not sleeping. It happened at various time of the day, usually fully rested. I just start to think, and the next thing I know that I have no idea when I am. About half of the time I was still on my route, but in the other half, I didn't take a turn, kept going, and something like a big road or T-intersection wakes me up, when I don't know what way to go. I don't even think it is dangerous, because any usual situation snaps you out of it.