Why I walk and don't run races -- response to "walking a race" (Read 1068 times)

munchkn883

I didn't take the time to read all of the thread concerning walking a race b/c as a walker it bothered me. I coach TNT walkers and we try to teach them some racing etiquette...don't walk more than 2 abreast, move over when runners are coming (hoping they let you know when you are coming), start in the back, don't stop in the middle of water stops (move over at the end of the stop if you much take a break). Let us know when you are coming up (and preferably which side) so we can move. Now to the personal point....I too used to run and wondered why in the world anyone would want to walk a marathon (even though it took me 6:30 hours to "run" my first one). Well, after my first two bouts with cancer, surgeries, chemos, radiation and collapsed lung, I found out why walking was best. Now I have cancer again...bone mets (tailbone, spine & hips). Walking is all I can really do as running jolts the back and it doesn't feel real good (am also hoping I will be able to exercise for a longer time before they tell me to stop). I want to continue to walk and participate to encourage others who may have medical issues. I also continue to participate to help raise money for cancer research and show others you don't have to stop...just maybe slow down a bit! My oncologist also told me that if I wasn't in such good shape I would have not tolerated everything I have been through so well. He and his staff delight in asking me every time I go in (every two weeks for ever and ever) what I'm planning next and encourage me to bring in my medals to show them. Yes, there are some walkers who would like to run, but can't. There are other walkers who just plain like it and have no desire to run. I suggest the runners who have issues with us try to walk (not stroll) a few miles. You'll be surprised at the sore muscles the next day! Next time you are "out of sorts" because a walker is in the race, stop and think why they may be walking.
    Ringmaster

Munchkn, thank you for your response. When the thread started, I had the same response. My husband was recently diagnosed with MS and while he still runs, the time may come when that will not be possible for him. When that happens, I hope that he will be just as welcome at races as any other participant--because finishing a 5k in any frame of time may be quite an accomplishment one day, and one that should not be put out of his reach. He loves to run, and I don't look forward to the day when his only way of experiencing the atmosphere is handing out water. K

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
      Mile by Mile

Hannibal Granite

From the majority of posts by "runners" in that other thread and in pretty much every thread I've ever seen on the subject in a variety of forums it is not walkers being in the race that we have a problem with, it is the walkers (or very slow runners) who don't know the rules and/or get in the way of people who are trying to run fast and compete. You said you tried to teach race ettiquette and this is something we runners apreciate, many of the walkers don't have that knowledge or choose not to act on it and that is the frustration. I have nothing but respect and admiration for those like yourself that cannot run, but are still doing everything you can to stay in shape and be active. I honestly do not think I would be brave enough to conitinue entering events if I knew I would have to walk all or most of the distance.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Did you really need to start a new thread?
          I didn't take the time to read all of the thread concerning walking a race b/c as a walker it bothered me. I coach TNT walkers and we try to teach them some racing etiquette...don't walk more than 2 abreast, move over when runners are coming (hoping they let you know when you are coming), start in the back, don't stop in the middle of water stops (move over at the end of the stop if you much take a break). Let us know when you are coming up (and preferably which side) so we can move.
          And if the above is true, no one would ever have a problem with how you perform in a race.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

fxdgear

From the majority of posts by "runners" in that other thread and in pretty much every thread I've ever seen on the subject in a variety of forums it is not walkers being in the race that we have a problem with, it is the walkers (or very slow runners) who don't know the rules and/or get in the way of people who are trying to run fast and compete.
            Uh..excuse me, but if walkers are getting in your way then you are competing for anything. Lighten up and have some fun, you are not going to win the race.
              Munchkin, First I want to thank you for coaching those TNT walkers. My husband/running partner is a leukemia survivor and the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society was such a help while we were going though it. It is a wonderful cause and I appreciate all of your hard work. Smile I also want to add that I'm glad you started a new thread. I never would have seen your post because I quit reading when things start to get negative. I want to say you are my hero for getting out there and walking while you're going through chemo. I discovered running after I was diagnosed with viral cardiomyopathy. I was one of the lucky ones. I didn't have to have a heart transplant. My heart started to get better on it's own. My heart function isn't back to normal and it probably won't ever be. It has improved to the point where my cardiologist cleared me to run and running has really turned my life around. I'm slow. At 43 and with heart issues, I probably always will be slow. But I'm out there and I intend to stay out there as long as I can run, walk or crawl across the finish line. I'd be proud to walk a race with you any day. Smile Teresa

Cause I CAN

please define "slow runners" - at what pace are you considered slow?
                Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
                  From the majority of posts by "runners" in that other thread and in pretty much every thread I've ever seen on the subject in a variety of forums it is not walkers being in the race that we have a problem with, it is the walkers (or very slow runners) who don't know the rules and/or get in the way of people who are trying to run fast and compete. You said you tried to teach race ettiquette and this is something we runners apreciate, many of the walkers don't have that knowledge or choose not to act on it and that is the frustration. I have nothing but respect and admiration for those like yourself that cannot run, but are still doing everything you can to stay in shape and be active. I honestly do not think I would be brave enough to conitinue entering events if I knew I would have to walk all or most of the distance.
                  Uh..excuse me, but if walkers are getting in your way then you are competing for anything. Lighten up and have some fun, you are not going to win the race.
                  I usually stay a way from walkers/runners/gallows arguing. However, this is wrong. Asking someone to know and follow the rules makes racing a lot more fun for everyone involved.

Feeling the growl again

Ummm....you have cancer and you think anyone begrudges you for walking??? I think you should have read the whole thread, you would realize that it was more people getting ruffled over things that WERE NOT said than runners having any real problem with walkers (who follow reasonable etiquette). As for the comment about "you're not going to win the race", if you expect a runner to respect your goals in walking you need to respect that someone may have some serious goals in running that don't involve the need to win the race outright to take themselves and their event seriously. Some people seem to hang around just looking for reasons to be offended and creating them when they don't find them. Nobody posted with any serious problems with walkers in principle.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

please define "slow runners" - at what pace are you considered slow?
                      It's analagous to the old driving thing - 'Anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac'.
                        I took the time to actually read the thread, because I was shocked at the thought that this forum would be frowning on anyone running OR walking races. I found two out of sixty responses negative to the idea of walking a race. I mean, jeez, there's really not much to be offended with in that 5 page thread. All people want is for walkers not to line up at the front where they're going to be living moguls for the runners behind them. Other than that, the more the merrier, and everyone here is happy to have more people out and about at the races. More people to drink with at the finish line (bar) imo.
                        munchkn883

If I offended anyone, please accept my apology. Starting a new thread was the only way I thought my feelings would be read and not be buried.

Cause I CAN

I wasnt offended by you in anyway...my question was for a poster above who was talking about walkers and "slow runners" so I was curious.
                            Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                            http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
                              Nobody should begrudge walkers or slow runners if they line up at the appropriate pace point/finish time area in the starting pack. Recently I was running in a local park and saw a guy wearing a shirt with my old company logo walking along. It turned out he's on a team from work and they are registered for a local walking relay, which BTW corresponds to the last half of a running relay. Most of their team is in the 12 m/m to 12.5 m/m pace range. Some on the team walk faster than 11 minutes/mile. I've done the running relay, and we never had any problem with the walkers. In high school some of us chuckled at the funny form of a racewalker working out after hours on the track one day. We talked to him a little and he asked us if we would time him for a measured mile. We did. He was under 7 minutes. Since that day, I've never looked down on walkers.
                              Hannibal Granite

I wasnt offended by you in anyway...my question was for a poster above who was talking about walkers and "slow runners" so I was curious.
                                What I meant by slow runners was the people who line up well in front of where their ability dictates and therefore still act as roadblock to the people behind them. I'm talking about the folks who know they will finish in the back or near the back, but still insist on lining up in the first couple of rows. Just to make it perfectly clear I heartily encourage people of all levels to come to and participate in races, but following just a few simple rules makes the event more enjoyable for everyone involved.
                                Actually I have won several races, and even if I'm not competing for the overall win I'm still trying to run as fast as I can. Sometimes walkers and slow runners (as described above) do not line up where they are supposed to. As an example last weekend I ran a race with almost 7000 people, there were several people who were quite a bit faster than me, so I didn't get one the front row I was about 10 rows back. However, between the front row and me were several people who had no business being that close to a race with that many people and it was so crowded I couldn't get any closer. Ultimately I finished 35th overall and 2nd in my age group after literally slolaming through the first mile, so while I wasn't going ot win the overal race I was certainly competing. After that experience I realized that not lining up in the correct position is not only a frustration to the faster runner, but also potentially dangerous to both the slower runner in front and the faster runner behind. I saw and was almost involved in several near collisions between a runner trying to go fast with nowhere to go and no way to stop momentum.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara