Stupid 205 Question! (Read 809 times)

this is the second time it's happened, and it really pissed me off!! My Garmin started counting mileage BACKWARD -- I was at 3.35 miles, then 3.34, then 3.33 ... finally I just reset it and added the mileage. What gives?!?
    2009: BQ?
      Were you running a predetermined workout? Because those tend to count the distance down on a new screen that only pops up during the workout. You can always scroll forward/back to one of the normal screens that counts normally.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Glitch in the Matrix!!!??? I have a 205 and can't imagine how this happened. My only guess is that you had bad satellite coverage and once a few more satellites "latched on" it adjusted the distance to be more accurate? I'm totally guessing. I looked through the manual and couldn't find anything like this. Hmm...
        Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Do you feel younger after the run than before? Maybe time is moving backwards for you. Big grin Sorry, I'm no help. I rarely use my 305. It doesn't accessorize well with my frail runner's arms.
            Hmmm maybe I'll email them and ask. Thanks!
            mikeymike

You did deduct those miles from your log, didn't you? Smile I think Bonkin is on to something. YOu must be doing some pre-determined workout of x miles and one of the screens is counting down.

Runners run

mbk

I haven't had that problem, but I have had problems where my distance will essentially "stop" and my time will continue, so my pace will go to 15 mpm, then 20 mpm, them 30 mpm. I hit the lap button and it usually corrects itself. I agree with someone else that you probably lost a satellite or were getting brief bad reception and the little 205 didn't handle the disruption correctly.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I agree with Mikey. You need to deduct those miles from your log. Evil grin Er, I mean you are likely working against a predetermined set of miles, as Bonkin pointed out.
                    YOu must be doing some pre-determined workout of x miles and one of the screens is counting down.
                    I never set up a pre-determined workout of any amount of miles, and this is on the "main" screen (with time, distance, and pace). Also, if even if I "accidently" set up a pre-determined workout (which I am POSITIVE I did not!), shouldn't it do this daily, not twice in 2 months?
                      If it was a pre-determined workout, you would know it, because you have to go to Workouts and pick Quick Workout or Advanced Workout. Almost impossible to do by accident. Sounds like that possibility is eliminated and you are back to a glitch or poor satellite reception. Are you running an out and back type course when this happens? If so maybe the following explains it. I got the following from here: I really hope when they say 'improved handling of courses containing an out and back segment or a loop' they are referring to how sometimes when I retrace my steps on a run (as in an out and back or a loop) the unit seems to get confused and count strangely or lose signal in a place where it had signal the first time around. That was a problem I encountered during my race (two loops) this past weekend - imagine my shock when I looked down and saw my mileage going backwards! My running buddy got a big kick out of me trying to make it stop that. MTA - Also, a couple other places I saw recommended updating the firmware to the latest version - it supposedly improves reception. Check the garmin website for how to do this.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

My Garmin started counting mileage BACKWARD -- I was at 3.35 miles, then 3.34, then 3.33 ... finally I just reset it and added the mileage. What gives?!?
                        This happened this morning! We were down in a steep canyon on the WS100 trail, and I looked at the distance a few minutes after leaving the turnaround, to find the distance going backwards! Totally weird. It did this for about 3/10 of a mile, and then started counted up again. I'll try updating my software, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had this problem lately? My software is fairly current, since i only got the Garmin in late August.
                        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                        freckles

mine counts backwards sometimes if i am doing an out and back route, it counts backwards when i turn round for home!!! it is so weird cos it only happens sometimes. just thought i would let you know you are not alone!

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.