Starting over, again,.. Help me get it right? (Read 119 times)

mrmky

I am a soon to be 43 yr old runner. I caught the bug almost two years ago, wasn't patient enough, and was hit with IT band problems. During the couple months I was forced to not run I did a lot of reading and found several accounts of "faster running" not aggravating my condition.

Of course I tried it,...and it worked! So I got me a pair of new shoes, New Balance Minimus. Felt wonderful to run in, right up to the time that I strained both achilles.

Still refusing to take my lumps and rest, I tried a lot of low heart rate training. This was great, I learned a lot about patience and form, until a few hundred miles later, I joined a running club at a track for some speed work. Now, nearly 6 months after that brilliant decision, I have started to tentatively hit the road again. My running log is pretty up to date and I'm hoping some of you might be willing to make some suggestions.

I almost always run with a heart monitor, I have found it really helps me curb most of my desire to run faster. It also helps me gauge how my fitness level is improving. until today, I went to the track and ran a slow mile, ~ 11:30, then I ran a faster 400 in 1:57. Another mile, and then it went to a 1:45 400. My only thought was to run comfortably and smooth, no tension, relaxed. Next 400 was 1:34, I was still running with the same thoughts, and was actually slowing myself down. The last 400 was a 1:18, the little running devil on my shoulder talked me into just going with the flow and find out where it took me. I feel great and this is the best workout I have had all year!

I feel like with all my mishaps I have gotten much better about listening to my body and have cut several runs short as well as taking several extra days off cause I just wasn't "feeling it".

How do I evaluate my current level of fitness to make some realistic goals and not re-injure myself, again?

Sorry about the long winded post, I just really want to get it right this time!

beat

Break on through

Since you have a history of injuries, you should be more conservative. Build a base with consistent easy running - like every other day for six months. Forget about speed work until you've gone through this base period.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Nana_

Build a base with consistent easy running -

like every other day for six months. Forget about speed work until you've gone through this base period

seems wise to me. +1

did the faster running mean higher cadence?

I would consider higher cadence/smaller steps. :-)

i've heard to determine what you cadence is now (150?) and add one per week.