Is sub 3 possible for me in 9 weeks? 16 weeks actually (Read 624 times)

Feeling the growl again

Thanks all. I will bring you all with me and think about you all in the difficult sections.

I am carb loading. So far I had two pieces of whole grain toasts with peanut butter with a glass of orange juice, 3 bananas, hydrating myself all day. Lunch is ready in 30 minutes. All home grown organic turnips, celery, eggplants, onions, zucchinis slow cook with beef and lots of steam rice. That will be my supper as well, then planning a couple of toasts with peanut butter before going to bed and the same with orange juice and banana for tomorrow's breakfast.

Remember that carb loading doesn't mean eating yourself out of house and home.  It means not letting yourself get hungry (and start harvesting stored glycogen) and feeding yourself a higher percent than normal of carbs.  Too many carbs + too much fiber = no sub-3 because you'll be timing your splits between porta-johns rather than miles.  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bhearn

Definitely I wouldn't want all that fiber. But I have been pretty happy with doing a one-day carb load ("Western Australia method") for the past few years. And that does involve shoveling it in.

Goorun

Good luck David.

One simple advice I learned from sport psychologists in my competitive years. Keep positive thoughts during the race, especially in latter, difficult parts. Think about the training you put in, don't think about how difficult it is to maintain pace, don't think about need to slowing down ( even if you do), don't think about how tired you are. Think, I'm strong, I can do it, I'm running a good race, all my hard training is paying off, most people can't do this but I can...

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Feeling the growl again

Definitely I wouldn't want all that fiber. But I have been pretty happy with doing a one-day carb load ("Western Australia method") for the past few years. And that does involve shoveling it in.

I was not familiar with that particular term so I looked it up.  Again I'm seeing a focus on percentages of calories coming from carbs, but not some drastic increase in the daily caloric intake.  Am I missing something?

I tried the "old school" 4-day ultra-low-carb depletion + 3 day carb load thing once.  It sucked, and it worked.  I've since gone with a more moderated low-carb stretch then carb load focusing on just not letting myself ever get hungry.  It also seems to work better than just maintaining normal diet all the way through.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Not a running expert but all that fiber does sound scary.

I am an expert on too many porta-potty stops.

steph  

kcam

Good luck, David!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Good luck, and enjoy the experience! Smile

bhearn

I was not familiar with that particular term so I looked it up.  Again I'm seeing a focus on percentages of calories coming from carbs, but not some drastic increase in the daily caloric intake.  Am I missing something? 

"In an experiment, the researchers asked athletes to perform a short-duration, high-intensity workout consisting of two and a half minutes at 130 percent of VO2max (about one-mile race pace) followed by a 30-second sprint. During the next 24 hours, the athletes consumed 12 grams of carbohydrate per kilogram of lean muscle mass. This resulted in a 90-percent increase in muscle glycogen storage."

Let's look at the numbers. For me (say 165 lb, 7% body fat): 165 / 2.2 * .93 * 12 = 837 grams of carbs. That is a lot to take in in one day. More recently I have been moderating that a bit.

bhearn

Last night I dreamed that I forgot my bib in the car and had to go back to get it and was late, but I won the race with 2:35. I starred at the result and thought that couldn't be true, then I woke up and it was a dream. LOL

Go get it!

B-Plus

One of the things that stood out to me from your last marathon was the amount of food you ate the days before. Obviously it worked for you, but I just try to eat like I normally do. Good luck!

I will bear that carb information in  mind. I am going to switch whole grain to whole wheat. Maybe that will be less fibre. I am eating white race instead of brown rice, so that is less fibre. No Blackberries, which I believe is very high in fibre, although I have a lot of wild blackberries in my fridge.

I am going out for a final 3-mile run for tomorrow to get my blood flow going.

Goorun, thanks for the sport psychology tips. I will definitely use those. I know there will be difficult time in the race.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

C-R

Best wishes on the race David.

This has been one of the more informative threads.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

837g carbs X 4 calories/g = 3,348 calories.  Plus non-carb calories.  That is a little higher than I would have expected.

Thanks, the numbers helped, I'm not used to looking at how many grams of whatever I'm eating.  The only numbers I really pay attention to are next to "ABV". Wink

Let's look at the numbers. For me (say 165 lb, 7% body fat): 165 / 2.2 * .93 * 12 = 837 grams of carbs. That is a lot to take in in one day. More recently I have been moderating that a bit.

muppy

Hoping you can execute a great race David, the work is done just go do it!

Goorun

I tried the "old school" 4-day ultra-low-carb depletion + 3 day carb load thing once.  It sucked, and it worked.  I've since gone with a more moderated low-carb stretch then carb load focusing on just not letting myself ever get hungry.  It also seems to work better than just maintaining normal diet all the way through.

I still use the "old school" method (for goal marathons). The problem for most people is that nobody explained to them how shitty it will make you feel 3 days before the goal marathon and people panic (It could kill your mental preparedness and since long distance racing is at least 50% mental, it could kill your performance) .  Since I know the feeling and I'm fully aware of it, I almost look for it and it doesn't bother me. Aussie method which I believe was developed for Australian athletes before Sydney Olympics is almost as effective, but much more gentle on body and mind, so most elites use that method now.

Slow and steady never wins anything.