Best balaclava? (Read 1536 times)

Any better than any others? Couldn't really find any info saying so in a search, and I need one. Seems my lunch time run is a lunch time run in a wind tunnel during the winter and it stings! Thanks!
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have had a hard time finding one that works well for running, too...most are designed for hunting. Heavy breathing makes sunglasses fog up bad, but gotta wear 'em when it's really cold/windy. I do recall some funky technical fabric head-wrap things that were recommended. Hopefully someone will come along with a link. I want to try one of those.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I use the Seirus Thermax headliner. Thin, wicking - awesome. I sweat like a whore in church, so fleece and the heavy stuff is out for me. Here's the link to the catalog. Page 24, top left, #2205. I got mine at a local retailer, and I think I paid somewhere around $15-$20. Well worth the investment. http://www.seirus.com/catalog/catalog.pdf MTA: Catalog says p. 24. It might be p.25 on your PC's page counter. I'm sure you'll figure it out. Wink

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

I sweat like a whore in church, so fleece and the heavy stuff is out for me.
          Ha, me too. I will check it out...thanks!
          Dunottar

I don't usually wear anything on my head unless the windchill is single digit or below. When it is, I've been wearing a Seirus FLEECE beanie-type thing with a pull down facemask. Like Jvol, I'm a sweathog and let me tell ya,..it's like wearing a wetmop on your head. It's just not real comfortable. I've taken a bloodoath against UxderArmxr products, but did receive a UA headliner(thin balaclava) for Xmas and it's absolutely perfect. Ran in it this week in a windchill of 0 and a brisk breeze and it was just enough to block the wind and keep my ears and face comfortably warm. I noticed afterward that it does get wet, but it's not like running around with a gob seaweed on your noggin. It's also versatile.....coverage can be full face, half-face, or you can pull it down and use it just as a neck gaiter. So, depending on your metabolism, I think a 'headliner' is the way to go. The Seirus in jVol's link looks very similar to the UA, and it's probably less expensive [translation: not grossly overpriced].

Member Since 2008

Mine works fine, I call it a beard.Big grin

A Saucy Wench

I actually wear a really thin gaiter instead of a balaclava. I like it because I can pull it up over my hat in back and the whole way up under my eyes and it is thin enough to breathe through (of course I look like I am wearing a burkha) , but then when I warm up I can push it down as a neck warmer or if I want pull it up like shown in the picture. http://www.rei.com/product/691367

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, I love the stuff! I agree, it is the best. Problem is, each piece I eat, I gotta then go run some 3-4 miles. Goes great with the morning coffee tho.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mine works fine, I call it a beard.Big grin
                    Well, crap...I got at least 20-30 years before I can grow one of those... Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

C-R

I bought mine from Campmor. Very thin tech material that works great for wind and cold and for a great price (<$10).>

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dunottar

Yeah, I love the stuff! I agree, it is the best. Problem is, each piece I eat, I gotta then go run some 3-4 miles....
                        Nike Air Spanikopita 5's would work well for this type of run.

skinnycaponesugar

Yeah, I love the stuff! I agree, it is the best. Problem is, each piece I eat, I gotta then go run some 3-4 miles. Goes great with the morning coffee tho.
                          I came looking for this one too...never mind...seeyasRoll eyes

Love, Run, Sleep

I bought a couple of Buff's from REI. They are a mulit-tasker and can be used as a balaclava

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Thanks everybody! I bought a Buff gaiter from REI. Hopefully it will arrive this week for my longer runs over the weekend.
                              xor

I bought a couple of Buff's from REI. They are a mulit-tasker and can be used as a balaclava
                                And as we learned from Survivor, you and knifey can wear them as tube tops as well.