Women, don't run! (Read 412 times)

Dream Maker

http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/5343/why-women-should-not-run/#more-5343

does anyone else feel like the studiedo noted don't support his conclusion?

but I can't access all of them...

Of course I don't run. I don't know what kind of hulking unfeminine creature you are, but personally I would never ever run. I prefer to flit gracefully across the dewy morning grass with a gazellelike bounding movement, spreading good cheer with my melodious laughter, the odor of rose petals wafting gently in my wake.

Also, since I am a girl, I don't really know about science and stuff, but I am positive, without even clicking the link, that the hypothesis that women should not run is backed up by nothing but the most solid of reproducible results.

Julia1971

I have a lot of reservations about clicking on a link to  website called Dangerously Hardcore dot com.  The black background also gave me pause put the photo of ripped abs immediately made me realize it's a weight lifting site.  Phew!

I found myself mostly agreeing with what he was saying about fat loss at the beginning of the article but stopped reading after he started talking about it causing hypothyroidism.

Most hard core body builders aren't big cardio fans so no big surprise.

GC100k

"When I look at the fat guy in the gym wasting his time doing forearm curls to lose weight,"  

Fail in first sentence.  I guarantee no one is doing forearm curls to lose weight.  How presumptuous.

It's just some a-hole purposely trolling and wanting insult anyone who isn't "dangerously hardcore" like him.  I'm not a woman, but I run because it's my hobby, not because I'm cutting for bodybuilding.

I hate these threads where we rant about some nonrunner's rant, but this pulled me in.

Dream Maker

His rant didn't bother me, the citations that are listed to lend credence to his rant not supporting his rant diD.  I was hoping someone could come and correct me or have access to the studies I couldn't see the full text on and confirm that they continue.

I am pretty sure this article was emailed to me because I am a fat runner with hypothyroidism though, which makes me chuckle.

"When I look at the fat guy in the gym wasting his time doing forearm curls to lose weight,"  

Fail in first sentence.  I guarantee no one is doing forearm curls to lose weight.  How presumptuous.

It's just some a-hole purposely trolling and wanting insult anyone who isn't "dangerously hardcore" like him.  I'm not a woman, but I run because it's my hobby, not because I'm cutting for bodybuilding.

I hate these threads where we rant about some nonrunner's rant, but this pulled me in.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Here's a good rebuttal:

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/how-does-endurance-training-affect-your-thyroid-and-vice-versa

That said, and I really hate to admit it, but my anecdotal experience does sort of support the long-slow-distance-can-harm-hormones theory (this year I found out that my estrogen was essentially 0--I'm on BC to help elevate it now, and I've leaned out substantially, esp in midsection, due to that hormonal change).  BUT my hormones were already messed up from a history of anorexia, so I realize I am an outlier. Still, I definitely did experience fat gain and muscle loss from excessive steady-state running vs. much less volume but higher intensity.  My race performance also suffered.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

bhearn

Golden.

Of course I don't run. I don't know what kind of hulking unfeminine creature you are, but personally I would never ever run. I prefer to flit gracefully across the dewy morning grass with a gazellelike bounding movement, spreading good cheer with my melodious laughter, the odor of rose petals wafting gently in my wake.

Also, since I am a girl, I don't really know about science and stuff, but I am positive, without even clicking the link, that the hypothesis that women should not run is backed up by nothing but the most solid of reproducible results.

Scappodaqui, great rebuttal.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Not running tends to increase my oestrogen levels.

Well.... I started to grow moobs anyway.

Mmmmm...beer

Besides a small percentage of the population who have a legitimate medical condition, most people who exercise relentlessly and are still overweight are that way because they eat too much.  Exercise, even running, is not a magic bullet.

You can tell the author is a douchebag just from his blurb at the bottom about earning 20 degrees in six months (none of which are nutrition or physiology related btw).

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Besides a small percentage of the population who have a legitimate medical condition, most people who exercise relentlessly and are still overweight are that way because they eat too much.  Exercise, even running, is not a magic bullet.

You can tell the author is a douchebag just from his blurb at the bottom about earning 20 degrees in six months (none of which are nutrition or physiology related btw).

Yes, the author is a douchebag.  BUT there's something to be said for hunger levels that result from excessive training.  Hunger is controlled by hormones.

And those of us who have the discipline to continue to undereat despite that hunger REALLY mess up our hormones.  Not making that up; that's what my doctor told me.  Because I did it.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

#artbydmcbride

Not running tends to increase my oestrogen levels.

Well.... I started to grow moobs anyway.

You Brits spell funny...

Runners run

Purdey

Self anointed title

I know, right? Abusing your beautiful language... We should just get our own language shouldn't we! A language just for England maybe. We should probably call it Englandish or something.

You Brits spell funny...

#artbydmcbride

Roll eyes

Big grin

Runners run

I know, right? Abusing your beautiful language... We should just get our own language shouldn't we! A language just for England maybe. We should probably call it Englandish or something.

"Two nations divided by a common language." Smile

A Saucy Wench

I had a body builder try to tell me once that looking at the physique of (Olympic) sprinters vs. marathoners was PROOF that endurance running ate your muscles.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7