how to keep my cute trouble maker away from the toilet (Read 768 times)

run4fun8910

Hi, I have a 20 month old little boy. I can not keep him from playing in the toilet. He likes to find cups and transfer toilet water to where ever. He gets all covered in it and it makes me really freak out. My oldest did not do that and I do not know what to do. I keep freaking out more and more and I need to find a solotuion. NO toilet lock has worked. He just pulls them off. Strong little sucker. Any ideas. Or I am going to lose my mind and then who knows what is going to happen to my running.
    Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Time...Dane went through a phase around 2 where he was fascinated with the toilet. One infamous time he was walking around with a cup of water that neither of us recalled pouring for him. As he sipped it he said "mmm...good water." Then we noticed the puddles in the bathroom. Dead Kid has the most amazing immune system... Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

run4fun8910

that is exactly what grosses me out. I keep the toilet clean but oh is it so gross. It is a good thing that Harrison is just so darn cute. :-)
          I dont have any advice for you. But if it makes you feel any better there's probably no germs in the toilet that your kid isn't already exposed to from daily contact with the people that live in the house Tongue Yeah, it probably wouldnt make me feel better, either. But seriously, trying to grow bacteria from toilet water usually yields nothing at all!
          Heroes never die. They just reload.

Rim Rock Dad

At least he didn't ask you for the tea bags. Wink Maybe he'll be the guy that solves the water shortage problem in the western US.
            James "We're only at home when we're on the run." -Neil Peart
            gracerunner

Playing with your own poop in the toy-toy is a rite of passage that no parent can stop. According to my parents, apparently I was one hell of an American Standard rebel in my tot days. Ah, the sweet days of no worries in life.
                put a hook and eye catch on the door so he can't go in there. You can also buy cheap alarms so every time the door opens you get a piercing alarm...and then you can apply suitable discipline.
                  put a hook and eye catch on the door so he can't go in there.
                  Beat me to it!
                    Ever see the monster thingy that pops up when the lid is picked up.....Ive seen it on Americas Funniest Home Videos and in a couple of whacky catalogs. I think its green? Not that I think scaring the crap out of your kid is funny, but maybe it would work. Please dont kill me, i'm not a mom!!

Big Chicken!

OMG too funny! None of mine has ever done this so I can laugh about it but I know I'd be as grossed as you if he were mine. The worst I have encountered so far has been both boys (now 5 and 2) eating scrap food out of the trash. DD has never been an issue, but at 7 years old I know when it happens it'll be a doozy! Good luck!!
                      Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!
                      run4fun8910

I really appreciate all the feed back. Some of it was pretty scary or funny depends on the hat I am wearing. All of them though I considered. Problem is I can not scare him or lock him completely out of the toilet room as I want him to be able to learn to potty train. My solution: Keep it sparkling clean. And try to not make a big deal about it. Maybe he likes my reaction. Also I am telling everyone if possible to not use that toilet. If that does not work I think the monster in the toilet is up next. Clowning around

My sweet new crank!

we chose an outhouse...
                          Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO
                          msl

Flush it then turn off the water so it doesn't fill back up...Don't forget to turn the water back on before doing your business... 2 young daughters ( 3 & 2)...that never happened to me....Everything is a phase...that cute trouble maker will find another fascination!

My sweet new crank!

This could easily segway into "what is the strangest thing you have pulled our of your toilet" So far, we have a doggy chew rope, a bottle of make up, and the one that did the damage was the toy magnifying glass... Of couse, I have lost several toothbrushes, but that does not see strange any more...weird huh? Who knows what we have NOT had to pull out of there. I do not even want to speculate.... The toughest part is we have a 4 year old who uses the potty, a 3 year old who we are trying to train...and a 13 month old that we want out of there. Makes it tough to lock em up. (sorry about the excess use of ...) ((I am trying to shake that habit))
                              Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO

Think Whirled Peas

(sorry about the excess use of ...) ((I am trying to shake that habit))
                                Too funny Ryan! I also suffer from the overused ellipsis syndrome! I usually look back at something I wrote and am amazed at the number of ... all over the place. I don't know where it came from, but I have to make a consious decision to take them out.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>