First race in 15 years (Read 419 times)

Swadvad

Although I'm just basically a fitness runner and not interested in racing, I decided to run a local 5K on Sat. since it was close-by. My goal was to finish below 30 minutes. I made it in 29:00 on a moderately hilly course. OK for a middle-aged, pot-bellied, non-athletic, desk-worker. Wink About 3/4 of a mile in, I spotted a guy in a blue shirt up ahead running at my pace. I made it a goal to beat that guy. I passed him with about a quarter of a mile left. I guess I do have some competitive spirit. A minor accomplishment compared to completing the Chicago Bake-a-thon, but it was fun.
      Chicago Bake-a-thon?! Any leftovers you care to mail to Baltimore? Wink Great job on a great race! You met your goal on a hilly course ANDD beat that guy in a blue shirt! ... so, still not interested in racing? Wink
      2009: BQ?
        hey, great job! Big grin I like your "picking off" technique...I always do that. I also tell myself to never pass anyone I'm not sure I can stay in front of. Blush

Jennifer mm#1231

Swadvad

Thanks. The race was fun. I'll probably do it again soon. I have to beat 29:00! I picked off the guy in the blue shirt but I failed to tell you about the guy in the grey shirt. Ha! I passed him while he was struggling up a hill about mid-way. He was a bit heavy and I thought the guy went out too fast and was fading. He caught his second wind and passed me back, while charging up the last big hill, and finished a good 20 seconds ahead of me. Maybe I was HIS target to pick off. Tongue Hopefully I inspired him to a PR.

Another Passion

Congratulations, Dave! Good race and way to beat your goal! In the first 5k race I ran a little over a year ago (I was 39), I was nearing the end of the race, about 400m to go, and tried your technique on a short, bow-legged, hobbling, 65ish-aged man that was ahead of me about 50m. As I picked up my pace and got nearer to him, he heard me coming and kicked in his 65 year old-after burners and I was left as toast! Roll eyes

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com