Recipe for a bad run (Read 851 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

1 33 y.o. female 3 nights poor sleep 2 of 3 days confined to the car for 8+ hours 3 days travel diet generous quantities leftover Halloween candy over past week Take 30-something female and cram into car with 5y.o. male for road-trip to ILs (spouse took train several days prior). Eat vast quantities of fast food on road. Spend first night of road trip on air mattress that deflates at 4am. Remainder of night on carpeted concrete basement floor. 2nd night sleep on too-firm mattress on said floor. Cram 2 adults and child into car for return trip. Repeat bad food. Arrive home late eve. and have issues falling asleep after being on road 2/3 days. Realize 3 steps into hour-long run that it's not going to be pleasant (sore knees and outside of left ankle--likely from sitting in car). Walk half of hour. Be frustrated by poor quality of runs ever since HM. Step on scale and become even further frustrated. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Don't fret - it took me two weeks after my HM to put together a decent run... and even though I was bummed about it at the time, I didn't lose as much fitness as I feared. Go slower, go less far and - if need be - don't go at all for a few days. It'll come back. Smile

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

don't fear Zoom Zoom, just keep plugging away and it'll come back Wink vacations, no matter how successful/stressful they end up being, usually throw any training for a loop. Be patient, and don't fret, you'll be back in no time (and we'll be here to cheer you on!) Big grin
        "The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah...and this wasn't really a vacation, either. We were visiting my FIL, who is dying of advanced liver cancer (he first had bladder cancer about 12 years ago and has been fighting a variety of recurrent cancers ever since...chemo has kept him with us ever since the disease spread to his liver a few years back). I think all the negative factors are just coming together to make my runs less stress-relieving than I had hoped. I think part of me feels that I HAVE to run--for my FIL. He once ran the Chicago Marathon...someday I hope to run it, partly for my own personal achievement, but also in his honor. His only child is a cyclist and no longer has any interest in running (even though he ran cross-country in college...which is funny, as he is 6'2" and built more like a decathlete or football player), so as his DIL I am the one to pick up that running torch (my MIL also runs and still does a 9:30 pace "easy" 4 mile run several times/week...at almost 62). The next few weeks will be so tough. Running has been a great stress reliever for me, but now that my runs have been not-so-nice in the past week I'm hoping that I can find some other healthy way to keep my mind occupied. Then that stupid self-doubt starts creeping in, even though I know it's circumstances that are making for my poor runs of late, not anything I am doing wrong. I've got a brand new kickboxing DVD...hopefully doing that tomorrow AM will be a good emotional/stress outlet until my body is more ready to run. At least if it's not I only have to move a couple of feet in any direction to land on the sofa. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Yeah - go kickbox and work out some of that stress! I've heard from others that it took them a while to recover from their HM's - like 2 weeks or so. From my side, every run I had after my HM hurt in one joint or another until I took my pace waaaaayy back down for a long run. Everything's been fine since then.

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

From my side, every run I had after my HM hurt in one joint or another until I took my pace waaaaayy back down for a long run. Everything's been fine since then.
              Come to think of it...my hip flexor issues started shortly after my miserable 10 mile race. I'm planning to do my first post-HM long run this weekend (probably in the neighborhood of 11 miles)...I definitely plan to take it VERY slow (not like I have a choice at the rate I've been going, LOL). k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

My "easy" pace has been hovering around 15:00 lately. I ended up taking the 10.8 mile long run at 18:22. Almost 3 1/2 minutes per mile slower... and nothing hurt! It was like magic! I may patent that formula and sell it on the internet. Any buyers?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heck, I'm even thinking of just walking my next "long run." Walking feels great...as soon as I even pick up to a gentle jog everything feels achey, stiff, and clumsy. k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Then walk! If that's what your body needs right now, listening to it should get you back on track quicker. Maybe make it a nice woodsy hike...

Prophet!

good job on getting back out and running...quality will go back up..the important thing is that you went out and ran and know your limits.... i did an 8 mile race few months back...before you know it 3 months have passed before i ran again.. here's another recipe for a bad run... 1. Bad ankle. 2. Lingering cold. 3. One full week of lost training the result...huffing and puffing on a 3 miler today, snot pouring out...not attractive at all (there were lots of ladies running, preparing for the marathon)...5 weeks before the marathon..assuming no relapse on the cold front, 5 miler attempt tomorrow. Aloha, steve
                        Don't worry-you'll be back! It would make our brilliant runs less brilliant if we ran like that all the time (if you get my meaning!). Try and eat lots of fruit and veg to get some goodness inside you. I don't have kids but I can imagine it's a total nightmare with all those sweet temptations around!
                          Heck, I'm even thinking of just walking my next "long run." Walking feels great...as soon as I even pick up to a gentle jog everything feels achey, stiff, and clumsy. k
                          Oh and also, I agree with Wingz. If it feels ok to walk then do. Sometimes if i'm feeling it I go for a walk in my running kit and if I end up wanting to run I run. The point is that psychologically there is no pressure. A nice walk in the woods is a lovely idea. Oh and also, if you've done a HM then i'm sure you're fully capable of a full marathon-yippee for you!
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

5 weeks before the marathon..assuming no relapse on the cold front, 5 miler attempt tomorrow. Aloha, steve
                            Steve, my fingers are crossed for you!

~ Sarah Kay

I am going through some very stressful times also and I noticed a big drop in my endurance. It also seems I get injured easier. I just treat my runs as a way to clear my mind and if in the process I forget my worries and still keep in shape then I have achieved my goal. Keep running fast or slow but keep doing it just to keep sane. SKB
                              I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                              mikeymike

Damn you have some stress. Yes at very stessful times in my life I have found that there is no such thing as an easy run. So you do what you can do to stave off insanity until you are itching to run again. Good runs will come when they are ready.

Runners run