Average training pace. (Read 1562 times)

I have looked back over my log and figured out the average pace for all my runs for each month of the year to date. While not conclusive it appears I MAY be getting slightly quicker, though adverse weather conditions, heavy clothing etc. In the early months of the year may skew the results. Note that I ran races (half marathon) in April and (10k) in May, which improves my average pace in those months, especially as they are low mileage months. Here are the numbers: January average pace 5:49 per kilometer(about 9:18/mile) February 5:43 per kilometer(about 9:09/mile) March 5:42 per kilometer April 5:40 per kilometer(about 9::07/mile) May 5:28 per kilometer(about 8:45/mile) Encouraging trend though I am probably missing something! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Tyler S

According to your log, I don't think you're missing anything. Doing more miles and running longer (like more months ) puts you in better shape so your increasing speed (and decreasing time) are probably just natural. Eventually your old 9:20 mile pace feels the same as your new 8:45. Keep up the good work.
        We are fairly close in improvement, though you are a little faster than I. I attribute most of my improvement to the weather though. Running on snow and Ice really tires the legs. Try as I might I just couldn't be as relaxed as I am now. Always expecting a slip in the winter so a little tense and tight most of the time.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Prince of Fatness

I agree it is hard to pinpoint one reason for you getting quicker. If your training has been consistent then it makes sense that you are in better shape. But I also think that weather is a big factor. I'd be curious how your pace is doing once we get into the heat of summer. I too have sped up since February, but it wouldn't surprise me if my average pace slows down once we hit July.

Not at it at all. 

Carps10

We are fairly close in improvement, though you are a little faster than I. I attribute most of my improvement to the weather though. Running on snow and Ice really tires the legs. Try as I might I just couldn't be as relaxed as I am now. Always expecting a slip in the winter so a little tense and tight most of the time.
            you mean "you are a little faster than me"..... way to confuse your grammar fool. "I" is a nominative pronoun.
            JimR

Don't put too much stock in average pace. Lots of folks have a good average pace that's not much slower than their race pace. Other very fast folk have a surprising slow avg. It's all about the workouts themselves.
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Actually, I believe "you are a little faster than I" is technically correct. You would say, "You are a little faster than I am," wouldn't you? So you're just leaving off the "am." Having said that, "me" is more commonly used and is "now widely regarded as acceptable in all but the most formal writing." So if you used "me" in a formal paper, Carps10, you would be wrong. From http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/cases.htm#cases Choosing Cases after Linking Verbs and after But, Than, and As In formal or academic text, we need the nominative or subject form of the pronoun after a linking verb: "It was he who represented the United Nations during the 1960s," "That must be she on the dock over there." In casual speech and writing, however, that sounds awfully stuffy. Imagine the detective who's been looking for the victim's body for days. He jimmies open the trunk of an abandoned car and exclaims, "It's she!" No self-respecting detective since Sherlock Holmes would say such a thing. When the personal pronoun follows except, but, than, or as, you've got an argument on your hands. Traditionally, these words have been regarded as conjunctions and the personal pronoun that follows has been regarded as the subject of a clause (which might not be completed). Thus "No one could be as happy as I." (If you provide the entire mechanism of the clause — "as I [am]" — you see the justification for the subject form.) The same goes for these other conjunctions: "Whom were you expecting? who else but he?" "My father is still taller than she" [than she is]. Many grammarians have argued, however, that these words are often used as prepositions, not conjunctions (and have been used that way for centuries by many good writers). In a structure such as "My mother is a lot like her," we have no trouble recognizing that "like" is acting as a preposition and we need the object form of the pronoun after it. Why, then, can't we use "than" and "but" as prepositions in sentences such as "Dad's a lot taller than him" and "No one in this class has done the homework but me"? Such usage is now widely regarded as acceptable in all but the most formal writing. The same argument is sometimes used for the object form after as — "The coach is not as smart as me" — but this argument does not enjoy the cogency of using the object form after but and than. Please don't call people fools.
                  Stunned silence.....Teresa are you sure you are some sort of engineer/architect? Not a bad grasp of the vernacular for someone in your line of business. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

you mean "you are a little faster than me"..... way to confuse your grammar fool. "I" is a nominative pronoun.
                    WTF? I admit I do make many grammatical errors, but really man, you write stuff like the following. "this is true the lowest I've ever recorded mine was 52 and it's usually more like 55, but I ran 16:20." The above is a complete sentence you wrote. There are grammatical errors, yes? The mentality of an individual plays just as large a role in heart rate and blood pressure as their physical fitness. If you are the type of person who easily flys off the handle or stresses about minor issues, odds are your heartrate is much higher than an individual who can remain calm and unfazed even under very stressfull circumstances. Physical fitness can compensate for some of this unnecessary stress and tension some people have. You are very lucky to be able to run a 16:20. Tongue Modified- to correct the spelling of the word unnecessary. I wouldn't want to upset you.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Hawt and sexy

I would reply, but I am fairly certain my grammar would not be good enough for this crowd.

I'm touching your pants.

JakeKnight

I can't decide which is dumber: simpletons who slam other peoples' grammar, or people who actually argue with the aforementioned simpletons. By the way, grammar fool - it takes a real gift for ironic idiocy to jump on somebody's grammar while simultaneously committing no less than three glaring grammatical errors. You're a nominative knucklehead. Thanks for the laugh. I'll bet you're one of those folks who calls people "morans" with no sense of irony at all. I love that. God bless the Internet. ------------------------------ SimonR: Back on topic, I strongly agree with this from JimR:
                        Don't put too much stock in average pace. Lots of folks have a good average pace that's not much slower than their race pace. Other very fast folk have a surprising slow avg. It's all about the workouts themselves.
                        My average training pace three years ago was probably close to two minutes faster than it is now. But my actual abilities are exponentially better, and I've taken a full hour off my marathon time. Slowing way down on easy runs, and running a lot more easy miles, was what did it. If I worried about running faster - on average - in training, I'd probably be a lot slower in races.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

Hawt and sexy

... Slowing way down on easy runs, and running a lot more easy miles, was what did it. If I worried about running faster - on average - in training, I'd probably be a lot slower in races.
                          Ding. Ding. Ding. Winnar!!!!!

I'm touching your pants.

Lane

Ding. Ding. Ding. Winnar!!!!!
                            Dont ewe no its winnur, ewe foo-el?
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Stunned silence.....Teresa are you sure you are some sort of engineer/architect? Not a bad grasp of the vernacular for someone in your line of business. Simon.
                              I thought about majoring in English, but figured I'd make more money as an engineer. Wink No one told me how often structural engineers are laid off, though!

Hawt and sexy

I thought about majoring in English, but figured I'd make more money as an engineer. Wink No one told me how often structural engineers are laid off, though!
                                Or mechanical ones either. Thanks Bush!
                                Dont ewe no its winnur, ewe foo-el?
                                looser

I'm touching your pants.