Low Light Running Survey (Read 284 times)

PSURunningTech

Hello fellow runners!

I'm part of a group of business and engineering students at Portland State University doing research on low-light running (pre-dawn or post-sunset).  We're ultimately trying to develop gear that will help you, as runners, be better seen while running in low-light conditions.

We would LOVE if you all could take 5 minutes to fill out the anonymous survey below in order for us to get a better look at your experiences with running in low-light.

Low Light Running Survey

This is NOT a "drive-by survey".  We really want to create a dialog with you, our fellow runners, to help meet your needs in every possible way.

Many thanks to you all in advance!

Hoban-Jay

A flashlight /headlight and reflective gear is all that is needed.  No surveys required!

Half Fanatic #846

I just like to take surveys.   Especially about shoes.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

PSURunningTech

Haha.  Regardless of whether or not a survey is required, we appreciate you taking the time to read this post and (hopefully) taking our survey!

Chris Pinney

my problem is not being seen its seeing where my foot is going to land.my dream would be a miniature helicopter flying 8 feet in front of me and perhaps to feet above my headwith a nice quality downlight it could be controlled by GPS or Bluetooth or something.you should work on that

an amazing likeness

Answered the survey for you. When do I get my $50 Amazon gift card?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Slow and Steady

Happy to contribute, as I do most of my 25ish miles a week before the sun has risen!

And geez, @milktruck, don't be so greedy with the $50 Amazon gift card. You know that $20 would be sufficient. :P

Eric S.

Trail Mix ||| dailymile ||| RA log

Goals: 50km, 50-miler, 100km, 100-miler

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

How many pages is the survey? How many questions?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xhristopher

I run in low light a lot. Aside from gear to make me seen from drivers, the best thing I found to improve my low light running was to pick up my feet so I don't trip on anything. No equipment was required.

The problem for me isn't seeing where I am going it is the stupid drivers that either aren't paying attention or deliberately swerve toward you.

Can someone do a survey of drivers to find this out?  Something like-

why do you swerve at runners?

1) I am a moron

2) I am an a-hole

3) I am too busy texting

4) all of the above

an amazing likeness

The problem for me isn't seeing where I am going it is the stupid drivers that either aren't paying attention or deliberately swerve toward you.

Over the years I've asked a driver or two who have seemingly "swerved" at me "What's up with that?" when our paths crossed at the next stop sign. Yeah, not always the most fruitful conversations...but from a few I did learn that they are trying to figure out what the odd lights were in the road and just looking carefully to get it sorted out.  Most of the reflective runner stuff today is all odd lines and zags -- there isn't anything that outlines your shape to make it easy for drivers to have a quick realization of "person in road".

Sure, there's the "get out of the road you a-hole..." driver as well.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I like to think running in the dark trains me to look where I am going rather than admire my feet, which I can't see very well when there isn't much light.

SillyC

I'm worried about sexual assault.  And dogs.

One thing that typically happens to me on predawn runs?  People let their dogs out to pee, and then they are standing in the door with a coffee and a towel skirt on.  I'm getting chewed up, and they are all, "Fido, fido, bad dog" and won't even come out to help.  About every six months or so, I'll get bit.

joescott

1) I am a moron

2) I am an a-hole

3) I am too busy texting

4) all of the above

Yes.  I too would like to see such a survey!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

BeeRunB

This is what I use. They work great. You wouldn't believe all the night animals you can see when running with these. I just have to remember to Bodyglide my nose: