Jogging Stroller (Read 179 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

I know there have been posts on this, but I'd like a fresh one.

For those with kids:

~Did/do you use a jogging stroller?

~Which brand/model?

~What did you like/dislike about it?

~Did/Can you run with a "non running stroller" assuming it's something pretty sturdy and not an umbrella stroller (City Select or Britax B-Ready maybe)?

~What age can babies start riding in them (not what age do the manufacturers claim, but what age did your kids start)?

~Is it worth getting a double (I have twins) or should I get a single and just plan to take one kid out at a time.

In theory I guess I could get a longer run --take one out for a run, bring her home, pop him in, go on more of a run. In reality, I bet I'd still get just one run in and my wife would make me come home but maybe then she could go on a run with the second kid.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

Hill Slug

Did/do you use a jogging stroller?  Yes

~Which brand/model?  Don't remember

~What did you like/dislike about it?  Loved how easy they rolled; hated that it was hard to see baby.

~Did/Can you run with a "non running stroller" assuming it's something pretty sturdy and not an umbrella stroller (City Select or Britax B-Ready maybe)?  Never tried

~What age can babies start riding in them (not what age do the manufacturers claim, but what age did your kids start)?  My experience:  1st ~ 3 months; 2nd child ~ 6 months (due to weather).

~Is it worth getting a double.  Two was hard.  The double stroller was wider, didn't handle as well; little separation between kids, so if one tried to sleep, the other would bother her.  

I did like using the jogging stroller because it got me out running and I didn't have to find childcare.

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

Jogging stroller addict here. Baby jogger FIT. Love it. very easy to maneuver while running. Comfy for the little dude. Lots of room to stow things. little window in the top so you can see baby. Started when my son could sit by himself, at exactly 6 months. I wouldn't run with a stroller not designed for it, as I imagine it would be unpleasantly jarring for the passengers!

If you can afford it, buy the twin one and give your wife the break Smile

NorNev

For those with kids:

~Did/do you use a jogging stroller?   Yes

~Which brand/model?  Not sure

~What did you like/dislike about it? My son loved it, except for the 2 times that I dumped him

~Did/Can you run with a "non running stroller" assuming it's something pretty sturdy and not an umbrella stroller (City Select or Britax B-Ready maybe)?  I don't know

~What age can babies start riding in them (not what age do the manufacturers claim, but what age did your kids start)? 3 months

~Is it worth getting a double (I have twins) or should I get a single and just plan to take one kid out at a time.

In theory I guess I could get a longer run --take one out for a run, bring her home, pop him in, go on more of a run. In reality, I bet I'd still get just one run in and my wife would make me come home but maybe then she could go on a run with the second kid.  Your choice

superspike113

Honorary Old

For those with kids:

~Did/do you use a jogging stroller? Yes- I run 5 days a week and I usually do at least 3 stroller runs with my 19 mo old son- have been using it since he was 10 weeks old

~Which brand/model? Chariot Cougar single

~What did you like/dislike about it? Love the enclosed design- impossible for my kid to throw stuff out and lose it, keeps him cozy in the winter time, also love the cargo areas. Its pretty big and not the easiest to collapse if you want to take it places with you and the enclosed nature of it can make it a tad warm in the summer.

~Did/Can you run with a "non running stroller" assuming it's something pretty sturdy and not an umbrella stroller (City Select or Britax B-Ready maybe)?  I tried running with the carseat in one of those clip in strollers and at any speed faster than a brisk walk the wheels started jittering like they would fall off. I would never run with a stroller that didn't have big bike-style tires. Regular strollers aren't designed with shock absorption.

~What age can babies start riding in them (not what age do the manufacturers claim, but what age did your kids start)?  I started at 10 weeks- my son was 5 lb 10 oz at birth and was teeny tiny. I used the infant sling attachment and another $5 aftermarket head support and my son did great, I just made sure to avoid potholes. I removed the infant sling when he was 10-11 mos.

~Is it worth getting a double (I have twins) or should I get a single and just plan to take one kid out at a time.- I would get a double, because really, no one runs with a stroller because its fun, they do it because its the only way to get a run in or to give their spouse a break, am I right? If a double is out of your price range, check Craigslist for one- I got my Chariot for $500 that would have been $800+ with all the accessories it included and I have logged probably 1000+ miles with it already.

In theory I guess I could get a longer run --take one out for a run, bring her home, pop him in, go on more of a run. In reality, I bet I'd still get just one run in and my wife would make me come home but maybe then she could go on a run with the second kid.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

xhristopher

I've run with B.O.B. and Baby Jogger.

I think we started pushing the kid around in it sometime around 2 months (with supports so he didn't bounce around too much). When he was young we used the jogger multiple times per day. It was a great investment and worth every penny.

The B.O.B. is a go anywhere all terrain jogger but the Baby Jogger is noticeably faster and that's what is really most important. Right?

Get this one:

spoonerweb

I used to live in Michigan. / Now I live in Taiwan.

~Did/do you use a jogging stroller? Yes / Yes

~Which brand/model? Baby Jogger (for two kids) / Schwinn Mark 3

~What did you like/dislike about it? Good: Actual jogging stroller, was higher off the road, had a rain cover, kids were in their own seats and separated. Bad: Folded, but was still very large so it wouldn't fit in some trunks. / Good: Can convert into a bike trailer. Bad: Sits really low to the ground.

~Did/Can you run with a "non running stroller" assuming it's something pretty sturdy and not an umbrella stroller (City Select or Britax B-Ready maybe)? No idea, but the larger the wheels, usually the smoother the ride.

~What age can babies start riding in them (not what age do the manufacturers claim, but what age did your kids start)? Started all four around 6 months of age. Usually when they can hold their head up. The younger they are, the more the seat needs to be reclined.

~Is it worth getting a double (I have twins) or should I get a single and just plan to take one kid out at a time? Double. Most doubles can also be used as singles, but none of the singles can be used as doubles.

In theory I guess I could get a longer run --take one out for a run, bring her home, pop him in, go on more of a run. In reality, I bet I'd still get just one run in and my wife would make me come home but maybe then she could go on a run with the second kid. Not going to happen.

When I lived in Michigan, I used the rain cover during the winter to keep the heat trapped inside and put a digital thermometer on the jogger that had a lead for the outside temp. I put the lead inside the jogger so I would know if they were warm enough or not.

Pirock

~Did/do you use a jogging stroller? yes

~Which brand/model? like this

~What did you like/dislike about it? I like it because is very big and my twins have a lot of room. I dislike because some time is difficult to pull and turn

~Did/Can you run with a "non running stroller" assuming it's something pretty sturdy and not an umbrella stroller (City Select or Britax B-Ready maybe)? Yes, mine is not a running stroller

~What age can babies start riding in them (not what age do the manufacturers claim, but what age did your kids start)? they need to have a properly control of the spine I guess 6 month at least.

Can be, sometime I get only one some time two, some time my wife isn't at home and I have to pick up both the twins.
                  I can run for only 6-10  km and I fell like I ran 20 km. whit stroller i decrease the pace of 15-20 % this can depend by the atypical stroller, my stroller isn't born for running like xhristopher ones

For those with kids:

~Did/do you use a jogging stroller? YES, as of 1 month ago.

~Which brand/model? Dont remember, bought it off craigslist...

~What did you like/dislike about it? Dont think I should answer that, haven't used it long enough

~Did/Can you run with a "non running stroller" assuming it's something pretty sturdy and not an umbrella stroller (City Select or Britax B-Ready maybe)? Yeah, although it increases my avg HR a bit, so it does add a bit of a workout. (To me) ESPECIALLY last weekend, where I ran over a thorn on 7 miles from home and had to push it with a flat tire for a LONG ways.... Ugh.

~What age can babies start riding in them (not what age do the manufacturers claim, but what age did your kids start)? Started when her head was sturdy, and not bouncing around a lot. For mine, it was about 5 months.

~Is it worth getting a double (I have twins) or should I get a single and just plan to take one kid out at a time. I cant imagine pushing a double would be a ton of fun...

catwhoorg

Labrat

~Did/do you use a jogging stroller?

Yes

~Which brand/model?

Bob Revolution SE

~What did you like/dislike about it?

I love the unlockable front wheel, as basically it is our main stroller.

~Did/Can you run with a "non running stroller" assuming it's something pretty sturdy and not an umbrella stroller (City Select or Britax B-Ready maybe)?

not tried

~What age can babies start riding in them (not what age do the manufacturers claim, but what age did your kids start)?

Walking  was about 6 weeks. I didn't run until about 6 months

~Is it worth getting a double (I have twins) or should I get a single and just plan to take one kid out at a time

I would, but then for me it would frequently be take both or not run at all.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

huoppi

I'm with the above poster. BOB Revolution is a great all around stroller. Great for running on the road and sidewalk. Also good for pushing down the grass/dirt path to the beach. Need to wait until the kids can control their heads.

1. Did/do you use a jogging stroller? - yep, my 21 month old and I still run with it

2. Which brand/model? - Bob revolution

3. What did you like/dislike about it? - Love love love mine. My kiddo and I have run hundreds of miles together in it. The longest being about 10, but usually about 3. It is incredibly smooth and easy to push. In fact, if we were living in the States right now, it would probably have been my only stroller but it's a little too big to push around the trains and streets of Japan. I loved the adjustable wheel. With our earthquake-ridden sidewalks and slanted streets, it was almost impossible for me to push with the locked wheel, so I keep it on swivel. I like the basket underneath and got the additional drink holder. It's like running with a giant purse. Now, even though I cherish those rare runs alone when my husband is home, I ask myself, "Where am I going to put all my stuff without my stroller?" 
                          The only thing I really disliked is how expensive it is, especially once you start buying all the add ons like the carseat adapter, the drink holder, the weather shield, etc. However, you can get great deals on them on Craigslist, but we just don't have that out here.

4. What age can babies start riding in them (not what age do the manufacturers claim, but what age did your kids start)? - I think they tell you not to "run" until they are able to sit in there on their own, but I started running with my kiddo around 4 months I think? I got the carseat adapter and would just put her carseat on top and go. Granted, I was running a super speedy 11 minute mile at the time, so I don't think she was really in any danger. If I were a lot faster, that might be a different story.

5. Is it worth getting a double? - My neighbor got the Bob Revolution double for her twins and she loves it. She runs with hers pretty much every day. Her twins are 7 months old now I think?

No Talent Drips

Another BOB Revolution user here. Probably started at 2 or3months old with the car seat adaptor (read the instructions after 4 months of running). It was FINE. The only reason they tell you not to run with car seat adaptor is that with it on, the stroller has a high center of gravity. Don't let it tip. Simple!

This thing is great. Everyday stroller and 6 miler.

Dei Gratia

JPF

I have a general question about these:

How do they handle very uneven sidewalks?  In my part of L.A., my choices for running are highly cambered roads (usually with a bunch of traffic to boot) or sidewalks that are pretty torn up by tree roots.  Would I have to massively slow down to move a jogging stroller over a tree root lifted part of the sidewalk?  To be clearer, I'm not talking about the really extreme ficus damage you can get in Southern California; more like lifting of three or four inches.

I use a B.O.B. with my little one. Picked it up on Craigslist for a steal. Love it. Out the door for 45-60min after work and my wife can relax and do her thing. Muted criticism of my daily runs has fallen to zero. I started my guy at about 3-4 months with short runs ~20-25min. Wasn't a problem. He sleeps for the most part. I run 5-6mi with him now mostly on paved bike paths and improved dirt trail without issue. What's nice is we use the stroller for hikes as well. His regular stroller is good for errands or walking downtown but it wouldn't be feasible to walk out 2-3 miles of moderate trail or snow cover or mud. With the B.O.B. it's just pop the baby in and go.