Garmin & Mac users (Read 573 times)

The prices are getting too good on the Garmin 305 to pass up. That being said, I work on a Macbook Pro and have heard some negative reviews on other sites regarding their compatibility. Most of the negative reviews were dated 2006. My question is, with all the updates that Apple sends out is the compatibility workable today?
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My 305 works great with my Mini--my 'puter is almost 3 years old. I'm running 10.4. If you use Motion Based you'll have to download a specific uploader client (I think it's called Garmin Communicator, or something like that), but it should work fine.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks zoom-zoom. I hope the 305 doesn't kill the "joy" of running and turn me into a machine.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hasn't had that effect for me. I love my "Big Red." It allows me to run without having to constantly wonder how far I've gone, what my pace is, etc. I find I don't push quite so hard when I can look down and see how I'm doing. Much easier to make easy runs truly easy when I can see in an instant if I need to back-off on the pace/effort. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

Much easier to make easy runs truly easy when I can see in an instant if I need to back-off on the pace/effort. Smile
            Just sold me. I think this is a big reason why I seem to get an injury every 6 months or so. As much as I try, Easy/Slow, are very hard for me to do.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You and my best friend. She spent the first couple of years running injured at least half the time. She doesn't have a Garmin and probably should. She's doing better, now...some people need to learn the hard way. Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

I've had my 305 for a couple of years now, and only had a couple of compatibility glitches. For a while (I can't remember weather I had to do this the last time or not), I had to go through Parallels (over to "the dark side", as I call it) to download and install new firmware for the device. Also, once, I updated firmware without realizing that the Mac version of the Motionbased plugin software had not been updated yet to be compatible. I had to go through Parallels to upload my runs for a few weeks until the software was updated. Of course, I should have waited to update until the software was ready, but, I failed to read before updating. That's it. Overall, no real big issues at all. MTA: I have a MacBook, running OS 10.5.2 currently. Lorrie
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, I did have this issue but it was easily fixed.

~ Sarah Kay