Toronto Marathon (Read 371 times)

mp30

I'm planning to run this in October and i'm wondering how the course is, how well supported it is and all that good stuff. TIA!
    JimR

Haven't run it but I know the course. Some steep declines late in the race, particurlarly around Casa Loma and later down Rosedale Valley Rd. The final 1 1/2 miles is a gentle but very noticable rise that ain't too pleasant at that point of the race. You circle Queen's Park, can see and hear the finish line and you've got to go allllll around to get to it. Part of the fun! Support isn't too bad, but this is Toronto and people consider these things to be highly inconveniencing to their day, especially since this race runs right down the middle of the city. I like watching it mainly for the arguments between the cops manning the intersections and the p-o'd drivers wanting to get through. Stuff a couple of dollars in your bag for the finish line. The pizza slice you buy will be better than the bag-o-cold-food you get. If I get my 5k goal early, I might do the half in this. Almost every year someone dies doing it (seriously!).
      mp30

great thanks! we're expats living in the US and we're going back to visit family and I'm thinking about running it. i always feel bad when they have to block streets for a race.
          They've change the route from past years. Start is still in North York, but runs south from there. The second half is along Toronto's Waterfront. Haven't run it, but from what I hear, this change has made it better. I would classify crowd support as somewhere between ambivalence and outright anger. At best, I think reviews are mixed.
          JimR

They've change the route from past years. Start is still in North York, but runs south from there. The second half is along Toronto's Waterfront. Haven't run it, but from what I hear, this change has made it better. I would classify crowd support as somewhere between ambivalence and outright anger. At best, I think reviews are mixed.
            You're right. It puts the descents early in the race rather than later. The section through Casa Loma was at about 24/25k and Rosedale Ave was about 33k I think. Now that all occurs within the first 17k. I guess diverting the race to Lakeshore lets them free up the core streets earlier. You still have the slow rise along University Ave to the finish. Definitely changes the view and crowd support. You won't see many people between 22 and 38k.
            mp30

oh great. hmm, maybe if i have some angry villagers running after me it'll motivate me a bit.