could new shoes be causing Achilles Pain? (Read 775 times)

Life is Good

I have been experiencing some pain in my right Achilles tendon, and I'm not sure what is causing it..I was thinking it was my shoes, a new pair asic's is when I first noticed it and then it went away after a few runs, and I have logged about 400 miles in those shoes..then I tried a pair of Mizuno's and it came back again..and although I have logged one or two long runs in them with out pain, I think they may have to much motion control or something..so I switched the other day to a new pair of Nike Air Max 360's ( Nike's have always worked for me..I don't know why I even try other shoes) and I'm back to having the same problem..I do not stretch, but I may warm up before a run by walking on the treadmill or outside to warm my muscles up.. the pain goes away after soaking in the tub, and doesn't bother me during normal day to day walking at work..anyone else had a similar problem, or care to share their Philosophy on this please feel free to do so! Confused

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

flatfootruns

Hello, did you up your miles recently, do you feel the pain when you first step out of bed in the morning, is there any swelling?" With me it was just to many miles (i also have flat feet)...Oh...do you notice your heel sinking more on the shoes you're not sure about...If it keeps up, ice, then moist heat, ice...gl
        Scott has a point. Make sure your heel is not sinking into the 360's. It could be over stretching your achilles. Be careful if it persists. A strained achilles took me out for four months last year.
        "Human beings are made up of flesh and blood, and a miracle fiber called courage" -George Patton"\

Life is Good

Scott has a point. Make sure your heel is not sinking into the 360's. It could be over stretching your achilles. Be careful if it persists. A strained achilles took me out for four months last year.
          How Can I tell if this is the problem? I haven't noticed any "sinking" before with any of my other shoes. Thanks for the advise. I'm taking it easy unitl I figure out what the problem is Undecided

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

Warrior dash 2012

Some shoes really irritate my Haglund's Deformity. Generally, for me, it's shoes with very deep and pronounced heel cups that rub against the insertion of the achilles. Possibly you're having something similar. Here's some background on it. http://www.footphysicians.com/footankleinfo/haglunds-deformity.htm
            C-R

Check your calve muscles. If they are tight and knotted it will place extra stress on the achilles. Personal experience with this one. Self massage and ART worked for me. The shoes could certainly be a factor but I'm no expert on this as mine was caused by overstriding and eccentric loading of the achilles.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Life is Good

Check your calve muscles. If they are tight and knotted it will place extra stress on the achilles. Personal experience with this one. Self massage and ART worked for me. The shoes could certainly be a factor but I'm no expert on this as mine was caused by overstriding and eccentric loading of the achilles.
                Ahh this sounds like it maybe the problem! the calf muscles in that one leg are knotted, I will take your advise and see if it helps! thanks..kind of weird how it is only effecting the one leg though Confused thanks again

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

Warrior dash 2012