What's the dumbest thing you've seen someone do while running? (Read 1743 times)

This morning I was out for my run and while running up a fairly busy street, there was a women runner ahead of me and across the street. I was admiring her fast pace but when she came to the intersection of 2 main streets and had the red light...she just kept going and was almost hit by a car Confused. Fortunately, the car saw her and was able to stop in time. About 100 yards later she moved off of the sidewalk and onto the street, running with traffic at her back. This women is asking to end up in the obit section of the newspaper. Bob http://bobrunner.blogspot.com/
      well its not running but I was at the gym in the winteron the treadmill... so technically it was the dumbest thing I've seen while running. This guy was holding the big bench press bar, loaded up with weight, as if he was going to do squats, and then proceeded to jump up and down. Not too nice on the knees. Looked painful. Dum dum dum dum dum
      AroundTheHorn

Dumbest thing? Getting in my way......
        Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.
          During my last marathon - I saw someone that had some hamstring issues late in the race. Her legs were already hurting and she thought that running backwards would fix some of her issues. She turned around mid-stride and managed to make about 2 steps before she landed on her tailbone. She landed hard enough that it "knocked the wind out of her". I think the only thing that helped her get off the ground was the embarassment of falling down. Kevin
          Don't let the fat fool you .....
          Scout7

Wear headphones. Couldn't resist. I've not actually seen it, but I've heard of people doing it... Wear a metronome.
              At the start of a 5K I saw a teenager racing in flip flops. He kept looking down at his feet, making it clear he was not happy with the foot ware. Then, in full stride, he bent down, took the flip fops off, and ran in bare feet. He ended up walking, with a flip flop in each hand.
                1. People that run with dumbbells - that just can't be good for you. 2. There are some larger ladies who exercise in my park and a few of them wear these plastic/rubber suits in the summer, I'm guessing to supposedly "sweat the weight off." Keep expecting to see one keel over one of these days.
                jeffdonahue

A couple years ago I used to work by a bike trail in Lexington, MA. I remember running one day behind a woman who was clearly otu for a jog - full jogging outfit, and actually a pretty decent pace. As I closed in behind her, she pulled over to the side of the path and lit a cigarette. My loop ended not too far ahead and I happened to pass her again as she finished the cigarette and continued on with her run. I swear I think I had a dumbfounded look on my face for the rest of the day because I just didnt get it.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My loop ended not too far ahead and I happened to pass her again as she finished the cigarette and continued on with her run. I swear I think I had a dumbfounded look on my face for the rest of the day because I just didnt get it.
                    DH has a friend who is asthmatic, bikes regularly...and smokes. Confused

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

325th place or bust!

A bit off-topic but is there an abbreviations guide to this forum? I've figured out most of them but the term "DH" eludes me. I get the general idea but seen this and a couple of similar ones that I can't quite figure out. I would normally think "Designated Hitter" but this isn't the right context for that. Big grin

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

It can mean dear husband, darned husband, darling husband, etc.
                        Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

TP's (training partner's) friend is a smoker/runner.
                          kcam

One time I seen a guy stop and pick up a water bottle off of the side of the road and just start drinking from it. I guess he was thirsty enough to drink anything.
                              Maybe it was his pre-placed water stash. I got yelled at by a concerned neighbor for placing one such bottle. It was a nice bike-cage type bottle, not a throw away, neatly placed by a bush, not chucked. But I had to stop and explain what I was doing so he didn't citizen arrest me for littering. In one colorful part of town we have a guy who twirls a baton while jogging (more like marching). I've never seen him while running, but seen him from the car. Don't suppose that qualifies as dumb, necessarily.
                              Lozza

In the UK there's an annual event called Race for Life - a series of 5k fun runs across the country for Cancer Research. I entered one year only to run past several women walking with cigarettes on the go. This with race numbers on their back saying "Running in memory of X who died of cancer" Good on them for raising money for charity, but unbelievable.