Flu shots? (Read 840 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Do you get them? If you don't, why? I just got mine yesterday. I think it's been a couple of years since I last did. I am so prone to sinus and respiratory infections taking over after colds and flus (and allergies...so I'm on year-round meds for that) that I need to make a better effort to get mine every year. Yesterday I went to my PCP for a raging sinus/lung infection and had them give me my shot at the same time (now I need to get my guys to get theirs, as well).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dog-Love

I don't get them because ...well I still hate shots. I think because I run...I have resisted lots of evil bugs. I eat well and stay away from children! Wait, I have 2...I teach at a University infested with students...so I should get that shot. It just comes down to not liking shots.
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh, Sherry...my immune system was SO much better when I was subbing or working retail and going to college. All those bugs kept me on my toes. I have gotten sick much more often since we had DS and I'm not around a variety of people every day. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Do you get them? If you don't, why?
          I got one this year because it was convenient and cheap. I believe increased water consumption during colder times (when the air dries up ) greatly reduces one's susceptibility to colds and flu. I also believe a lot of allergies can be reduce when one flushes their system.

Vim

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

My company offers free flu shots. It saves them money because we won't be out sick from the flu. I didn't get mine this year because I got mine for the first time last year and I was sick for a month after I got my shot and I never get sick like that. So, illogical as it seems, I'm not taking anymore shots. Dr. Sherry: the shots don't hurt at all. I didn't even notice the needle went in until the nurse said it was all done.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dr. Sherry: the shots don't hurt at all. I didn't even notice the needle went in until the nurse said it was all done.
              In the past they haven't hurt...this one felt like a horse kicked me for hours. I've heard a couple of other people say the same. I don't know what's different about it. Not too sore today, though.

~ Sarah Kay

Dog-Love

In the past they haven't hurt...this one felt like a horse kicked me for hours.
                LOL!!! I had a cholesterol test done at the University for free and that damn finger prick shouldn't hurt but the nurse must have jammed the "pricker" into a nerve/artery and it bled and hurt for hours. Then I got a big black bruise on my finger. I know I am a wuss with needles...
                Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                  I've gotten them the past few years since it's free as a student and hey, I'd rather avoid getting the flu if I can help it. Smile This year I got sick after the shot for the first time ever. I got the shot at lunch and by 4:00 I felt like I had the flu- achy, chills, etc. I took a nap and was fine in a few hours, but man it was weird. No shot soreness though, although the health center did warn that this year there is more soreness associated.
                    I get one every year b/c they're free at work...and why the hell not. I hate being sick (although it's better than being at work) so I put up with the minor pain in the arm.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The (real) flu hurts far worse than them shots. And the flu kills. More people die from the flu in this country every year than die of AIDS. The shot hurts a little. But less than the flu. The shot won't prevent the flu, but it makes it far less likely, far less severe if you do get it, far less likely to share the flu with family and friends, and far far less likely for the flu to kill you.
                      GP160

I get the flu shot for free at work also. I even take advantage of the 3 step Hepatitis shots they offer.... Glad I got the shots...I just got spit in the face the other day by a crazy guy....always nice getting it right in the eyes.... Tongue
                        Ironman Louisville 8-30-09
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The (real) flu hurts far worse than them shots. And the flu kills. More people die from the flu in this country every year than die of AIDS.
                          That's part of what inspired this thread. We were talking about flu shots on a parenting board I frequent and I am one of the rare people who gets theirs. I'm amazed at the people who think it's just to avoid inconvenience. Of course, there are also those folks who don't immunize their kids at all...but that's another rant. My grandpa died from pneumonia. I live in fear of a respiratory bug killing me someday. The flu is nothing to mess with, IMO. k

~ Sarah Kay

LOL!!! I had a cholesterol test done at the University for free and that damn finger prick shouldn't hurt but the nurse must have jammed the "pricker" into a nerve/artery and it bled and hurt for hours. Then I got a big black bruise on my finger. I know I am a wuss with needles...
                            Oh, I used to get my finger pricked every year at my doctor's visit, I agree, it hurts like HELL!! Much worse than any shot I've ever had (except perhaps tetanus). I did get a flu shot last year, they did it the same time I went in for my allergy injection. I am not sure if I will be getting one this year or not, I need to ask the doc if it is safe if DH and I are trying to get preggers. Confused Last year was the first time I've ever had a flu shot and had no adverse side effects. I seem to have a rather strong immune system though, I haven't actually had the flu since 1993.
                            ---- Cynthia
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I am not sure if I will be getting one this year or not, I need to ask the doc if it is safe if DH and I are trying to get preggers. Confused
                              My doc actually recommended I get the shot when I was preggers, especially since I was going to school and subbing, so I was in contact with a lot of nasty viral stuff. k

~ Sarah Kay

I started taking them last year when my company offered them. Beats being sick. I don't have any trouble with shots. Not even when I had to get tested for lyme disease in high school and I had to put the stupid needle in because the nurse was putting so many holes in my arm that I was starting to look like a heroin addict. Unfortunately, they usually offer the shots right before or right after a marathon, so I generally wait until a few weeks after the race before I go ahead and get it done. It means I need to use a lunch break to travel to the place that administers them rather than getting it done in my office, but so it goes. I don't want to risk getting sick right before the marathon, or risk getting sicker right after.

Run to Win
                                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)