I ran a 5k now im addicted (Read 1003 times)

I ran my first 5k with my sis in middlebury, CT on oct 27th... and now i cant wait until the next one!! my time was 30:23. It was 40 degrees and windy and was a blast! My goal for my next 5k in New Milford, CT is 28 min or so. That kicks off dec 2nd so i have time to train. I am moving to Galveston, TX at the end of Dec... can anyone help me find upcoming 5k and 10k races? Im having a hard time finding any
    http://www.climbingamerica.blogspot.com
    Rynamite

Congrats! I know the feeling, I fell in love the same way. That's a great time for your first one, and a good goal for your 2nd one. You can search for races on active.com, and usually register there as well. Good luck!
      Scout7

Congrats on your first race. Active.com, as Ryan mentioned, works pretty well. The other option is to start looking up local running shops and running clubs. They will inevitably have links to some races on their sites.
          Congratulations! Improving times in any race is a fun challenge. Good luck with finding races to feed your addiction. Smile

Michelle

I ran my first 5k with my sis in middlebury, CT on oct 27th... and now i cant wait until the next one!! my time was 30:23. It was 40 degrees and windy and was a blast! My goal for my next 5k in New Milford, CT is 28 min or so. That kicks off dec 2nd so i have time to train. I am moving to Galveston, TX at the end of Dec... can anyone help me find upcoming 5k and 10k races? Im having a hard time finding any
            You can also search on www.coolrunning.com. You can search by State.

upcoming races:

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

runningintheusa.com is another great site for finding races. That first 5k can really be the start of a wicked addiction, for certain! I don't even like 5ks anymore (didn't run any this year), but I've really come to love anything from 15k-25k. Next year I plan to run my first marathon--about 2.5 years after my very first 5k. Good luck to you in future races...it only get better! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I ran my first 5k with my sis in middlebury, CT on oct 27th... and now i cant wait until the next one!!
                Ha! told ya Evil grin
                  Thanks for the help... ill check the sites out
                    I ran my first 5k with my sis in middlebury, CT on oct 27th... and now i cant wait until the next one!!
                    I know the feeling.To make a long (but interesting) story short, at Christmas of '93, I found myself at 230+ pounds. I decided to start "jogging" in the spring to lose the weight, even though I despised running. I started in March of '94 and by mid summer, I had the weight coming off and could go 4 miles or more. My daughter, 11 then, began pestering me to race as she'd learned in health class that 5k races were only 3.1 miles. Finally, to shut her up, I agreed to "look into" the training and aspects of long distance racing. Needless to say, the lure of a marathon captured my interest. I ran my first race in March of '95 (half-m) and I've been racing & training most ever since. Wishing you all the best.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Great job! ... and welcome to the addiction Wink
                      2009: BQ?
                        It's not all that often that you can congratulate someone for developing an addiction, so CONGRATS! To afford all the race fees, you can sell your blood or pick up a second job. I'd recommend a job at a place that sells running gear, that way you can take advantage of the employee discount. Run long, run healthy. Run, run, run. Big grin

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Thanks guys! ive already shaved 2min off my 5k race time on a personal run and cannot wait... I cant belive i went from despising running, to running as a hobby!
                            Mardi Gras Beach Run 5K and 10K January 2008 in Galveston You'll probably want to look for races in the Houston area... that metro is crazy down there dude. Other sites Bay Area Houston Running Club http://www.harra.org/ http://www.amtexpo.com/barc/ If there is a race that goes over that big suspension bridge down there on the east side, I might show up!

Vim

Thanks, i think ill do the mardi gras 10k. I was in Texas for the first time in my life in august and now im moving there.. crazy. Houston is so big i dont know where anything is thats why i wanted to stick near galveston island.
                                Houston and the surround areas are insane. Even the "slower" parts on the outskirts of town are getting bad. Personally, I wouldn't want to live as traffic is so hellish. They seem to have road closings every weekend In 2005/6, I thought I was going to have to move down there for work, so glad I didn't have to. It gets muggy down there tooo! Last time I was down that way, I stayed with a friend in Rosenberg just outside of Sugarland and we did sort of a full city tour.... modal (who likes to gripe about Houston, Texas Big grin )

Vim