Need Advice - marathon 2 weeks away (Read 801 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Okay so I am having knee issues on both knees. I know part of it is the ITB and I am using a roller, ice and Advil to help it. However, I also have sore thigh muscles and it seems as though I also have pains on the top / lower part of the knee cap. I have done light running for the last few weeks and last week I ran a 20 on Sunday and did not run again until this Saturday to see where it was. I ran a 12 mile run but could still feel the issue. I have even tried the ITB band things but those don't seem to do anything except annoy me. So the question is what do I do for the next couple of weeks. A.) Should I not do anything again until race day. B.) No running but do some elliptical (spelling error) stuff maybe three days to keep my fitness up. C.) Just keep running as two weeks is not going to do much for it and I might as well keep my fitness up. The pain exist more when going up hills and down them but it is still there even on flat runs. I tried to do one today as a recovery and felt it with the first few steps. So I skipped that run and went to the gym to do the eliptical machine for 20 minutes. Any help or guidence would be greatly appreciated. Right now I am leaning on Point A but I still worry that my fitness will be gone and even if my knees will be healthy that I will still have a bad run. However, what I really fea is that my fitness will be gone and I will still have my bad knees!!!
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Oh Mighty Wing

maybe take some time to really stretch out your quad's. If your ITB is tight maybe it's causing your other muscles to act up. So maybe they need good regular stretching.

Junior Amphibian

If it's the ITBS, it wont' go away in 2 weeks. By running, you'll just aggravate it more so you have to rest and do something else. Elliptical or cycling seem like good choices, because at least they'll keep your cardio fitness up. As a side note, I came to conclusion that my own ITBS is probably caused by stability shoes. When I switched to neutral, I immediately felt a relief.

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

Bugs

Never had ITB, but have had lots of success with graston treatment. I would find a good chiropractor that provides the service. Make sure the doc examines the entire kinetics of the problem and not just where it hurts.

Bugs

Bugs

What did you decide to do?

Bugs

Imminent Catastrophe

Bearcat, I would opt for option B. You will not lose any endurance in two weeks. The key here is to avoid making things worse. Believe me, you will not lose ANY fitness in two weeks. But you could do a lot of damage in that time. Just relax, do some elliptical, and you will be fine. Sorry I didn' t respond earlier, I didn't see your post. Let us know how it worked out.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Go Pre!

Ran my last marathon with bad ITB...didn't take enough time to rest. The stress fighting the pain will zap your endurance. Don't run again if you can manage it. Maybe a couple of 10-20 minute runs the week before to stay loose. D