Running my first half marathon! Need advice! (Read 59 times)

jcondon

Hi! I'm running my first half marathon in Boston this May and need any advice I can get! I want to begin training now if possible, to build up my strength and endurance in these upcoming months. I ran cross country and track for four years in high school, so I'm no stranger to training schedules, but it's been months since I've formally competed. I currently run about 3 miles every day at a comfortable pace (usually 6.0 mph on the treadmill) plus 10 mins/1 mile of elliptical and moderate core and stretching each day. I definitely want to rework my training habits to build up to my half marathon, perhaps alternating light, average and long run days as well as heavy and light core days, though I'm not sure how efficient such a strategy is in preparing for such a race. I hope to run the half marathon somewhere in the 11-13 minute/mile range at a steady pace. Additionally, I was a very healthy eater living at home in high school and have definitely fallen to some less-than-healthy eating habits in college and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to stick to a runner's diet when there are few options available. Also, if anyone could give me advice regarding running terrain - treadmill vs pavement vs trails, etc. - and which would help me prepare for this race, that would be great! I currently run exclusively on treadmills, but would be willing to change my habits if it would improve my overall performance. Any other advice is welcome & greatly appreciated! Thanks! (:

Joann Y

I would suggest getting a book. For example, The Competitive Runners Handbook is a nice one for beginners and experienced runners alike.