Shoes with more padding (Read 122 times)

GinnyinPA

I'm preparing to train for a marathon, still building base but I've started doing longer long runs every other week.  Yesterday at mile 12, the bottom of my left foot was killing me.  It felt like some bone around the ball of my foot was broken.  I kept going another 4 miles, and the pain lessened after a mile or so, but it made me think that the shoes I was wearing might not be padded enough for really long runs.  They were fairly new Sauconny Guides.  Other shoes I'm wearing are Brooks Adrenaline (about to be retired) and Asic 1000s.  I have wide feet and a midfoot strike.  I've always had a problem with no padding on the ball of my foot.  It made backpacking more difficult when I started doing more than 20 mile days. After the run my feet were fine, which says it's the shoe, not an actual injury.  Any suggestions for a good stability shoe with a padded forefoot that is good for marathon training/racing?

TripleBock

Not sure if it is even a padding problem ... but the Asics GT2000 has much more padding than the 1000.

I prefer the less padded 1000, but have run in both and they have a similar wider toe box.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

mikeymike

Padding usually refers to the soft material around the ankle collar and in the tongue. Cushioning is what's in the sole. I'm nitpicking, I know.

I'm not sure that's a cushioning problem. I have experienced pain similar to what you're describing when wearing shoes that were too tight, too narrow, or too posted.

Runners run

Altra Olympus with zero drop work for me.   But like most highly cushioned shoes, they don't seem to last as long and cost more.

Asics Gel Kayano or Brooks Transcend  or maybe Hoka Conquest?   I tried the Saucony Guide 7 for awhile & felt like there was no padding/cushioning in the forefoot at all

Mmmmm...beer

If you like Saucony, try the Triumph, very cushioned and comfortable for long runs.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Asics Gel Nimbus are pretty cushy.

~Mike

kcam

The most cushioned shoe I've ever worn is the Hoka Clifton.  Pretty lightweight (7.8 ounces in M9.5), neutral and about 4mm heel to toe drop.  I've been wearing them since I developed PF.  I like them very much.

Wing

Joggaholic

I run in Skecher GoRun Ultra, more cushy than Asics Nimbus and Nike Vomero, but the sole wears out really really fast, it probably lasts only half as long as the other two.

You might pay attention to the stack height in the forefoot area. I've had some forefoot issues and like Saucony Xodus 3 (not sure about newer versions) with 22mm of forefoot protection. They're not cushy, but they absorb shock. I've got Hoka Stinson Trail version from a couple years ago and Altra Olympus, but Xodus works better for me. Cushy in forefoot is sometimes unstable for forefoot striker, depending on fit and other things.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Kayano is similar to Adrenaline but with slightly more padding.

Asics Gel Kayano or Brooks Transcend  or maybe Hoka Conquest?   I tried the Saucony Guide 7 for awhile & felt like there was no padding/cushioning in the forefoot at all