I trained for a marathon (Read 1112 times)

AnneCA

I know, I've still got to run the thing.  But I feel as ready for it as I can be.  It was a big step for me to make running the priority I've made it over the last 16 or so weeks, but I'm very glad I did it.   Look for a race report in two weeks -- hopefully I'll still be happy with my training then!
      That is the way I felt when I finally entered the taper for my first marathon this spring.  In many ways, for me, the achievement was getting to the starting line, rather than crossing the finish.  Congratulations and good luck race day. 

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Good luck, Anne!

Nice to go into something confident you did all you could to prepare.

kcam

Congrats on a fine buildup.  What's your running schedule look like from now till race day?

Good Luck Anne --- I will be looking for the race report......

John

Champions are made when no one is watching

Prince of Fatness

What's the saying?  The hay is in the barn.  Do it.

Good luck.

Not at it at all. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

2 weeks of trying not to go batshit insane--good luck to you!  Your log looks beautiful...I predict a fabulous race day! Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ringmaster

Congrats, Anne--like DG said, in a lot of ways, I felt like making it to taper was the achievement--but getting the medal was nice, too.

Can't wait to read the RR!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                  Mile by Mile

AnneCA

Thanks everyone!

Ken, I don't have much of a taper plan. All the taper plans I look at are based around a three-week taper, so I can't lift cookie-cutter.  I've heard the principle advice of:  run the same quality but less quantity.  Right now, I've set a max of 30 total next week (including my midweek MP run, but a couple of  miles shorter), and 12 in the week leading up to the marathon.   But I'm going to play it by ear, and may do less.  After all, what better time than two weeks of batshit insanity to decide to just go with my gut, right? 

Good luck with that - and getting through the next two weeks.

Which marathon are you doing?

Nah, I'm just kidding.  I'm looking forward to the race report. I lived in the Bay Area for 10 years and started running there. In fact my first race was down at the Presidio. I think the course for this marathon is awesome. It might not be the fastest marathon but it could teach other cities (I'm talking to you LA!) a thing or two about having a course that showcases your city.

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
                      kcam

Good luck with that - and getting through the next two weeks.

Which marathon are you doing?

Nah, I'm just kidding.  I'm looking forward to the race report. I lived in the Bay Area for 10 years and started running there. In fact my first race was down at the Presidio. I think the course for this marathon is awesome. It might not be the fastest marathon but it could teach other cities (I'm talking to you LA!) a thing or two about having a course that showcases your city.

John

I've run that course and it is nice.  Only problem I have with it is the 5:30AM start time

AnneCA

I've run that course and it is nice.  Only problem I have with it is the 5:30AM start time

I know, that's a common complaint about the race, but it's perfect for me, since I think races that start at 8:00 start too late.  I'm in the 6:06 wave start for SFM, and that's about exactly my regular running time.  Embrace the dawn run!

#artbydmcbride

A good way to plan ahead and deal with any post-marathon depression, (where you finally acheive what you've been striving towards and are now adrift) is to sign up for another one now for the Fall.  Big grin

Have a great race!  Smile

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A good way to plan ahead and deal with any post-marathon depression, (where you finally acheive what you've been striving towards and are now adrift) is to sign up for another one now for the Fall.  Big grin

*nods* True...I had no idea how bummed I would be after my first marathon...unfortunately it was a Fall race, so I was in a bit of a funk for a few weeks.  If not another marathon, at least register for some other race.  I had my first trail race a month or so after my first marathon and that really helped--it was a new sort of race for me, so it gave me something new to look forward to.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

kcam

I know, that's a common complaint about the race, but it's perfect for me, since I think races that start at 8:00 start too late.  I'm in the 6:06 wave start for SFM, and that's about exactly my regular running time.  Embrace the dawn run!

Yeah, you're right - what do I know?!  This morning I was driving in my truck to the start of my long run at 5:45AM.  I do remember when I ran the SF marathon that it was dark (maybe they started even earlier that year?) and after the Presidio we funneled onto a narrow dirt trail that led up to the GG bridge approach.  Since it was in the trees and still mostly dark I just was hoping amongst all the other runners that I didn't step wrong on a rock or put my foot in a hole as I couldn't see a thing.  Other than that one little section it really is a great course.

I think your taper sounds about right.  I usually do a very minimal taper starting two weeks out.  I cut the quantity down a bit but I still run every day.  No hero workouts but I do a short MP run the first week and some striders during he second week and just try to stay 'sharp'.

Good luck Anne.  Don't take too long to update us with your RR.