Running Cadence (Read 315 times)

Thats rad

So your cadence (the amount of steps you take) is supposed to  be 180 steps per minute, or 3 steps per second. My cadence isn't even close to that. my cadence is more like 130-140ish, depending on the pace of the run.

I've tried taking three steps per second but I either go much faster than I want to, but when I slow down I feel like I'm doing more hopping up and down than moving forward. I'm 6'0" and run at a fair pace, so should I be worried about my cadence? Will increasing it help my training? What do you guys think?

day after day sameness

Choosing my words carefully has never been my strength I've been known to be vague and often pointless

beachrun

Everyone is different.  I find that around 155 to 165 is about right for my long trail runs.  But pushing to 180 for a bit can be good training for me.  The 180 number is what the fastest runners will run at.   I'm definitely not in that category.

Every once in a while I'll run with music like this at a certain BPM and it's really cool.  Running becomes like dancing and it really helps distract from the effort and gets you in a zone.  This guy has a bunch at different rates.

http://www.djsteveboy.com/podrunner.html

I did some experimenting a couple of weeks ago.  I downloaded a metronome app and used it to measure my cadence.  I started at 175 and couldn't keep that up for very long.  After about 3/4 mile I decided to run at a natural cadence and adjust the metronome to match as closely as possible.  I ended up at about 162.  I was nursing some injuries and thought it might be due to excessive heel striking, so my focus was mostly on how my foot was landing.  Some of what I was reading indicated that one method to encourage a midfoot strike was to keep a faster cadence.  Their recommendation was that although elite athletes maintain about 180, amateurs should fall in the 160-180 range.  What I discovered was: I can't keep a 180 cadence at my current level of fitness; I have a mostly midfoot strike; I most likely have core strength issues that have more to do with injury/soreness more than foot strike.

My $0.02:  Dont worry about it.  Run more miles at a slower pace than you think feels right and you'll soon run more miles at a pace faster than you thought possible.  I have the hardest time with that.  I always feel like I must run faster than I did last time.  I catch myself trying to run training runs at or near race pace.

Willis