Mizuno.... (Read 3866 times)

Hey there RunHarrietRun!

sorry to be the bearer of bad news.. But yea, the Nirvana has been phased out.

i think for MOST runners, they will fit very well int the Wave Inspire.  The fit and feel is closer to the Nirvana than the Alchemy, plus the new 9th edition is super smooth on the run, yet provides just enough stability AND cushion,

let me know if I can help any further...

Thanks for the info Smile I will try the inspire next time. One of my favorite details on the Nirvana is the stretchy mesh upper, which is SO comfortable when you have wide, oddly shaped feet like mine. All shoes should have it, in my opinion.

Anyway, thanks!

Purdey

Self anointed title

Oh snap: Has anyone run in the Musha?  Stable and on the light side. 

I currently have nearly 700 miles on my Mushas.  The uppers are starting to tear a bit, but apart from that they are still good.  Like the shoe.

MTA  - I see that I also have 850+ on a pair of Wave Inspires - so at the moment Mizuno get the thumbs up from me.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

700 miles on the Musha? Wow! I have about 350 on my first pair and probably need to retire them soon within next 100 miles. Still feel good, but don't think I'd stretch to 700 miles. that just sounds like a recipe for an injury imo.

I currently have nearly 700 miles on my Mushas.  The uppers are starting to tear a bit, but apart from that they are still good.  Like the shoe.

MTA  - I see that I also have 850+ on a pair of Wave Inspires - so at the moment Mizuno get the thumbs up from me.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Purdey

Self anointed title

. that just sounds like a recipe for an injury imo.

Why?  I'm not getting at you - genuinely want to know why this is.  Shoe companies want you to change your shoes every 300 miles imo.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Just seems like a lot of miles to be running in a racing flat like that to me. Just my 2 cents.

Why?  I'm not getting at you - genuinely want to know why this is.  Shoe companies want you to change your shoes every 300 miles imo.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Purdey

Self anointed title

So... no real reason then?

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

As advised I picked up a pair of Wave Inspires and can report:

First run was strange as I felt a bump or difference in material in the foot bed on my left foot. I could feel it for about the first 2 miles and then forgot and could not feel it anymore.

Second run, the reports are correct the toe is airy and damned cold. But no worries the shoe felt good. Though after my run during the day I noticed my right achilles was sore and tender.

Third run, I had been working on transitioning to forefoot striking but in light of a sore achilles I chose to see what happened when I returned to my normal mid-foot.  Felt good and my achilles was not as sore after.

Fourth and Fifth runs went fine nothing special to report, no achilles soreness at all.

Sixth run was my long run, 12 miles. I figured this would be the tell tale if the shoe worked for me or not. I do think the shoe will be a great addition. I had absolutely nothing negative or of note to say about it. Which in my opinion is what a really good shoe should do. Allow me to perform with no thoughts or worries.

Thanks for pointing me toward the Inspires

I have three pairs of Mizunos and all are in rotation.

Mizuno Wave Universe 3:  1049 miles

Mizuno Wave Universe 4 (Orange):  453 miles

Mizuno Wave Universe 4 (Red):  120 miles

I use water shoes if it is raining out lest I ruin any of the Mizunos.

Feeling the growl again

I did quite a bit of testing with shoes to see how many miles I could get out of a pair of shoes.  The hardest I ever ran a pair of trainers was a Brooks...can't remember the model....somewhere just over 1000 miles and I started having foot/ankle problems.  This was all on concrete.

What I arrived at was that I can consistently run lightweight/midweight trainers (such as the Precision or Rider) to 700 miles.  I try to rotate in a second pair when the first reaches 500 miles, and not do runs over 10 miles in the older shoe from there to retirement.

With the massive increase in treadmill running I have been doing the past couple years, I have found that with the softer surface I can consistently run these same shoes to 1000 miles.  By then I am wearing holes through the heel of the liner so I see no need to press further.  The cushioning is down to about what a pavement 700 mile shoe has and the actual outsole wear is a bit less.

Heavier shoes wear out faster, IMHO.  Years back I bought a pair of really, really cushioned shoes (Brooks Dyad?) and they were hosed in under 300 miles.

Flats aren't meant to be cushy or give support....I wear them until they fall apart.  I still have my very first flats circa 1998-9 (Nike).  They probably have 1500-2000 miles on them and I've glued them back together twice.  Since I have not found a few flat I like since the Adidas Cubato was retired (2005-6) I am still using them in all my races and hard workouts....so some of them have a ton of miles on them.  The freshest pair which I save for marathons probably has only 150-200.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Purdey

Self anointed title

Thanks Spaniel - I too think that lighter trainers can be run til they fall apart.

Probably not true for everyone.

all great feedback!

IMO... I like to "retire" a pair of shoes around 500 miles... some make it longer, some a lot less.

---------

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I saw on a FB post Elixirs being retired. Any truth to this? I don't run in them, but was just curious.

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

I hope this is not true, being that it's the best shoes in existence!

I saw on a FB post Elixirs being retired. Any truth to this? I don't run in them, but was just curious.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

EricR

I hope this is not true, being that it's the best shoes in existence!

I agree.  Best shoe I've ever found for me.  Nothing close.

Melton

It is true, the Elixir and the Precision are going bye bye, Nirvana too, but be heartened, the Prophecy isn't going anywhere!  Big grin