Mizuno.... (Read 3866 times)

Cyberic

When I tried on a pair of Wave Riders 16, I fell in love with them. They became my favorite running shoes. I used to run in Asics Cumulus and a guy at the store made me try those on and I bought them immediatly. I later on bought some Sayonaras that I use for racing. Love them. But I still had a pair of Asics Cumulus 14s that were very good, so ever since I bought the Riders I'd alternate between the Riders and the Cumulus 14s. But yesterday I had to take the sad decision to retire my Riders because they no longer offer proper insole support in my right foot. What I find sad is that this happens after only 656 km (406 miles). My Asics Cumulus 13s lasted 853 km before I retired them, and I still use my Cumulus 14s after 914 km.

Since the Riders cost the exact same price as the Cumulus, I will now have the dilemma of buying either Riders that I prefer or Cumulus that last almost 50% longer.

I weigh 175-180 lbs, so I think that 406 miles is decent mileage for a running shoe, but is this common that Asics last longer than Mizunos?

Hi, I just want to set the record straight. I thought my first pair of Wave Riders 16 had not lasted very long. After a little over 400 miles I retired them. I thought the cushioning had flattened in some parts and they were not supporting my foot correctly anymore. I thought that was a short life for a running shoe, but since I loved them so much, I still bought another pair (and a third).

About a month ago I tried on my retired shoes before sending them to charity. When I tried on the Riders 16, they felt just like the ones I’m running with currently. What? Maybe I was wrong about retiring them? So I un-retired them and threw them back in my shoe rotation. At first I used them for short runs, not trusting them. I wore them with confidence for an 8 miles run today, and they’re perfect. Now they’re back in my normal rotation.

So now I have 2 pairs of Riders 16s in my rotation, a pair of Sayonaras (and a pair of NB). I also have a pair of 16s still in the box that I bought even when I thought they didn’t last long. That’s how I love running in them. Now that I know I was wrong about them not lasting long, I’m thinking about stocking up on them while they’re are some available. I also love the Sayonaras but they’re still easy to find.

I’m trying to figure out how I thought they weren’t supporting my foot correctly anymore, and can’t really explain it.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I picked up a pair of wave rider 17 and so far I'm liking them. A nice marriage of the wave rider and the precision.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

elodie.kaye

I’m trying to figure out how I thought they weren’t supporting my foot correctly anymore, and can’t really explain it.

Congrats on "finding" bonus miles!  I've found my impression of freshness in my shoes is highly variable, depending on my own fickle body and mind as much as the properties of the shoes.  At least one factor is how fatigued my legs are, both short and long term.  The day after a hard workout, all but my softest shoes feel harsh.  When carrying high volume for many weeks, the responsive, nimble shoes I loved during the build-up feel dead.

Another significant factor is the other shoes in my rotation.  If most are firm, or at the latter half of their lives, new and softer shoes feel almost mushy.  Same with support or stability properties, my sensitivity depends highly on what my feet are used to from the other shoes.  Sometimes I'm asked to wear-test a single pair of shoes exclusively for a couple of months.  From massive, motion-control bricks to super-bendy slippers, it's a shock and a revelation every time when I discover shoes I initially loathe come to feel natural.  Not saying this would be a particularly useful adaptation, but a lot of what we think feels "wrong" has more to do with unfamiliarity than true hazard.

Tim_Easterday

I know the Elixir's are gone now but I have an older pair of version 7's that I picked up at a clearance sale over a year ago and never wore much. I need just a slight amount of overpronation support and I can't seem to find a definite answer about the Elixir's stability features. Are they OK for me or maybe just short runs? I like how they feel but occasionally feel some inner shin pain at the post tibial tendon.

I also picked up the Wave Inspire 8's which I like a lot and have worn much more than the Elixir's.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Wave rider 16 = Asics 2000

The wave rider outer covering feels like foam. Very flexible. It maybe a lighter shoe. I did a 12 miler in them 2 weeks ago. No issues. $64 at running warehouse.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

obiebyke

I'm on my 3rd pair of Wave Inspires (9s). I'm interested in trying something a little more minimal/neutral next time around. Is that the Riders?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

meaghansketch

obiebyke - maybe the Sayonaras?  They are slightly lighter and with a little less support than the Inspires.  The Inspires are my primary shoe still but I use the Sayonaras for tempo runs and long races.

Docket_Rocket

Either one would work.  Sayonaras have less cushion than the Wave Riders but both are great to train and/or race long distances with.  If you want something for 5Ks and speedwork, something even lighter might be better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

obiebyke

Thanks, guys!

Cyberic

I'm on my 3rd pair of Wave Inspires (9s). I'm interested in trying something a little more minimal/neutral next time around. Is that the Riders?

The Riders are not what I would call minimal. Runner's World measured the 16's at 13.1 mm drop and the 17s are at 14.1mm drop. The Sayonaras have 8.9mm drop.  I love both the Riders and Sayonaras, but minimalist they are not.

meaghansketch

The Riders are not what I would call minimal. Runner's World measured the 16's at 13.1 mm drop and the 17s are at 14.1mm drop. The Sayonaras have 8.9mm drop.  I love both the Riders and Sayonaras, but minimalist they are not.

I took obiebyke's 'a little more minimal' request to mean 'slightly less cushioning/support than the Inspires'.  I agree they're not minimal, but I don't think obiebyke's asking for a minimalist shoe-- just something that's slightly less shoe than the Inspires.  obiebyke can correct me if I'm assuming wrong.

obiebyke

You're right on, thanks.

I took obiebyke's 'a little more minimal' request to mean 'slightly less cushioning/support than the Inspires'.  I agree they're not minimal, but I don't think obiebyke's asking for a minimalist shoe-- just something that's slightly less shoe than the Inspires.  obiebyke can correct me if I'm assuming wrong.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Does anybody had a recommendation for a neutral shoe with a similar drop as the Mizuno Sayonara (someone here said 8.9 drop)?  I like everything about the the Sayonara but the toe box, although wide, seems to rub on the outside of my left big toe.  Maybe just the way my foot is shaped versus the toe box?  I may try another pair because, other than the slight toe rub, which is only an issue on long runs, I really like them.

Docket_Rocket

I got the Sayonara 2s last week.  OMG.  They really improved the Sayonaras.  Love them.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Does anybody had a recommendation for a neutral shoe with a similar drop as the Mizuno Sayonara (someone here said 8.9 drop)?  I like everything about the the Sayonara but the toe box, although wide, seems to rub on the outside of my left big toe.  Maybe just the way my foot is shaped versus the toe box?  I may try another pair because, other than the slight toe rub, which is only an issue on long runs, I really like them.

I think the New Balance 890s are around 8mm drop.