Mizuno.... (Read 3866 times)

Feeling the growl again

Why would Mizuno replace the Precision with a heavier shoe? The reason they are dropping it is that it is too close to the Rider, which just dropped weight.

Slymoon, I also +1 the Inspire, especially the 9. But I'll also suggest you check out the Elixir too. 

The Precision and RIder are distinctly different shoes that are not all that close to each other.  I wore the Rider before the Precision.  

It's not just the weight, it's the fit too.

The reason I speculate they were going to try something heavier is that I am assuming they did not sell the volume of the Precision that they wanted so they were abandoning it to try and generate a bigger volume seller...which you are unlikely to do in that weight class.  I have never seen the Precision in a brick-and-mortar store, so they can't be incredibly popular.

How much weight did the Rider drop?  Did they really take it down to equal the current Precision?

MTA:  It appears they dropped 2oz from the Rider so now it is 1oz heavier than the Precision.  So I'm still back to going up to a heavier shoe, or moving significantly lighter than the sweet spot I've come to favor.  I'm not sure I'm happy about that.  I hate shopping shoes.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Smashy!!!

The Precision and RIder are distinctly different shoes that are not all that close to each other.  I wore the Rider before the Precision.  

It's not just the weight, it's the fit too.

The reason I speculate they were going to try something heavier is that I am assuming they did not sell the volume of the Precision that they wanted so they were abandoning it to try and generate a bigger volume seller...which you are unlikely to do in that weight class.  I have never seen the Precision in a brick-and-mortar store, so they can't be incredibly popular.

How much weight did the Rider drop?  Did they really take it down to equal the current Precision?

MTA:  It appears they dropped 2oz from the Rider so now it is 1oz heavier than the Precision.  So I'm still back to going up to a heavier shoe, or moving significantly lighter than the sweet spot I've come to favor.  I'm not sure I'm happy about that.  I hate shopping shoes.

You don't have to tell me about the Rider and the Precision. I run a ton in both. 

Depending on which source you use, the Rider 16 weighs .5 oz more than the Precision or 1 oz. if you can feel a difference of .5 oz, then you are a better man than I. 

Am I bummed that the Precision is getting the axe? Sure. But I'm also open minded about the replacement. 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Here's a link to a Blog that talks about the shoe that's replacing the Precision. The blogger says it will weigh 8 oz. is that light enough for you?

http://roguerundown.wordpress.com/2012/09/20/dendoshi/

Feeling the growl again

Here's a link to a Blog that talks about the shoe that's replacing the Precision. The blogger says it will weigh 8 oz. is that light enough for you?

http://roguerundown.wordpress.com/2012/09/20/dendoshi/

Well, this is my everyday trainer, not a racer.  As I said, I loved the Precision as it occupies a sweet spot.  If the new shoe hits that weight with similar cushioning ability, great.  If it does not, I'll be looking outside the Mizuno line.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

You don't have to tell me about the Rider and the Precision. I run a ton in both. 

Depending on which source you use, the Rider 16 weighs .5 oz more than the Precision or 1 oz. if you can feel a difference of .5 oz, then you are a better man than I. 

Am I bummed that the Precision is getting the axe? Sure. But I'm also open minded about the replacement. 

When you run a ton of miles in these shoes at mid-5 pace, you bet I can feel a 1oz difference.  If they have taken the Rider down almost 3oz it is an entirely different shoe.  We shall see.

The issue is, I don't like going through several hundred dollars figuring out what works.  And when you run good volume what does not work is immediately trash, there is no limping it through its useful lifespan.  I'm not the new gizmo type of guy, I find what works and I run with it.  The reason I stuck with Mizuno was that they left well enough alone for so long.

I will likely wait until they start the phase-out and buy a 3-year supply at discount pricing.  Then I won't have to worry for awhile.

Adidas discontinued my favorite flat in 2005.  I have tried 3 different ones since then and not found one that did not rip up my feet in a HM or full.  What would have been the best HM I would have run in that time was ruined by a bad flat experience (good things chicks dig the scar). So I am still racing in 7 year old flats.  

B-Plus

Slymoon, I also +1 the Inspire, especially the 9. But I'll also suggest you check out the Elixir too. 

Slymoon - I'm really enjoying rotating the Elixir and DS Racer, so you may wish to check out the Elixir. Actually I'm still running in the Banditos, the version before DSR8. If you're coming from Kayano though, I agree that you may wish to try the Inspire first, as I understand the Kayano to be a lot of show.
              B-Plus

I'm so glad I dumped my orthotics because used to wear them in the Rider and Precision. I'd be so choked right now if the Pre was still my shoe. Actually, I still have 3 pairs of the 10s, one brand new.
                Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Cool,

I will look at the Inspire.  I actually looked at the Elixer when I was adding a lightweight race shoe. The shoe felt good, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for at the time and I settled on the DS Racer.  However, I will revisit it as a Kayano replacement along with the Inspire.

And yes the Kayano is a beast compared to those. But I can't fault it, I needed the cushion and support at one time and I have just grown to not need it anymore.

sdfgewiuohsdf

Spam

Smashy!!!

Well, this is my everyday trainer, not a racer.  As I said, I loved the Precision as it occupies a sweet spot.  If the new shoe hits that weight with similar cushioning ability, great.  If it does not, I'll be looking outside the Mizuno line.

The Blogger writes, "The Sayonara will be lightweight trainer (roughly 8 oz for the men’s size 9)." Yes, in the previous sentence he calls it a "lightweight trainer/race" but that's because one man's lightweight trainer is another man's racer--case in point: the Precision. So, as I read it, the Precision will be replaced by another lightweight trainer (roughly 8 oz.). But you can read it any other way you want. 

Feeling the growl again

The Blogger writes, "The Sayonara will be lightweight trainer (roughly 8 oz for the men’s size 9)." Yes, in the previous sentence he calls it a "lightweight trainer/race" but that's because one man's lightweight trainer is another man's racer--case in point: the Precision. So, as I read it, the Precision will be replaced by another lightweight trainer (roughly 8 oz.). But you can read it any other way you want. 

It will just depend on the level of cushioning the new shoe has.  The weight cut is significant and apparently brings it down lighter than the DS Racer, which I do not consider appropriate for use as a daily trainer (it is a great tempo workout shoe though).

Now the issue is these light shoes rarely appear in most stores so trying them on without buying would be problematic.  This is why I prefer to just know what shoe I want and order them in batches every year.  Smile

knbradley2822

I know I posted this on their facebook page but has anyone had any trouble with hard lumps in the midfoot section of their wave rider 15's? I just so want to enjoy those shoes but it is just so painful. I tried eliciting a response with a golf ball and felt nothing and have never had any outer foot pain with my NB minimus roads or kinvara 3's. Is there a break in period I don't know about?

Smashy!!!

I know I posted this on their facebook page but has anyone had any trouble with hard lumps in the midfoot section of their wave rider 15's? I just so want to enjoy those shoes but it is just so painful. I tried eliciting a response with a golf ball and felt nothing and have never had any outer foot pain with my NB minimus roads or kinvara 3's. Is there a break in period I don't know about?

I've experienced something similar, which I attributed to the hard lugs of the flex controllers. Eventually, I got used to it, and the pain (more a discomfort) went away. 

Smashy!!!

It will just depend on the level of cushioning the new shoe has.  

Fair enough. You were just so certain it was going to be a) heavier and b) a racer, and I didn't know what was giving you either impression. That's all. 

knbradley2822

I've experienced something similar, which I attributed to the hard lugs of the flex controllers. Eventually, I got used to it, and the pain (more a discomfort) went away. 

Thanks Smile I was beginning to think I was going crazy! I knew that I couldn't be the only one to feel it.