Race Bandits (Read 1312 times)

EliBuford

What's your opinion of them? The ones who just hop in races for a workout. They don't use the aid stations, take water/snacks, just run. Do you consider them as thieves or do they not bother you? 

depends if they are in my way

I have never noted the bibless during a race. No, I don't consider them theives. Rude as hell the race organizer, at most.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I met a pretty prominent coach at the start line and while chatting with him, I asked him his bib number (because it would be easier to remember than his name).  At the time, I didn't know his name.

He was layered so much on the cool morning, and I couldn't see his number. 

He ended out providing his name, and his website, and quickly skirted the "no bib" issue.

It was a Sunday race, and he had explained that he rode 120 miles on his bike on Saturday, and this was just a casual run for him.  His goal was a fast marathon, but more importantly for him, it was to maintain a manageable heart rate for the entire run.

I thought he should have paid, and I was somewhat taken aback by someone with name recognition choosing to hide within the race without paying.

I think he should have run casually through a "Tour de moi Village" type of run.

Yes, they're thieves.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Not a fan.

Liz

pace sera, sera

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yes it is theft.  The race organizers and volunteers put out time and money to get the permits, ensure that the streets are cordoned off, marked, and patrolled for everyone's safety, etc. etc.  Yes, and bandits are rude as well.

if a bandit gets hurt or can't finish do they get medical attention that the RD provides? they probably will

Imminent Catastrophe

ON a related note, I was running in Central Park recently and there was a NYRR race going on so I used the portajohns. Was that wrong? Because the alternative was to go in the woods. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

As with many questions on message boards, this is stated as a yes/no either/or.

My answer: it depends.

That is all.

If it's a 5K and they are charging $50 to enter, or a half marathon charging $100 to enter.....I'm not so sure that the bandit is the thief.

JimR

Do you consider them as thieves or do they not bother you? 

These aren't mutually exclusive options.

DoppleBock

Bandit #1)  Just running to get a workout - Uses water stops etc - Hey its easier than carrying the stuff  =  Theif

Bandit #2)  Just running to get a workout - Will not use anything from race, but the course = Annoying - Can't you do your workout not in my way

Bandit#3)  Just want to run some of the race with a friend = cheating - Everywhere on the race course there are people doing their best - they may not be genetically gifted, but are trying to beat the person in front of them - Having a bandit help them to a time - just sucks.

Bandit #4)  Little kids that run last 1/4 mile of Marathon with Mom or Dad = Cute - as long as they are not impeding

Bandit #5)  Thinks he/she is running the race but does not want to spend the money = "If you ain't got no money - take your broke ass home!"

I really do not care that much - Just having fun

I have been irritated in 10ks when someone jumps in and paces a friend that I am trying to race

I have seen many friend jump in and pace a marathon person near me - They take off away from me and then I see them broken and walking at mile #22 - The pacing friend usually does more harm than good.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If it's a 5K and they are charging $50 to enter, or a half marathon charging $100 to enter.....I'm not so sure that the bandit is the thief.

If you walk out of a store with an item you didn't pay for, even if it is overpriced...

Curious as to how many RD's make that much $$ with the shorter races

Bandit #1)  Just running to get a workout - Uses water stops etc - Hey its easier than carrying the stuff  =  Theif

Bandit #2)  Just running to get a workout - Will not use anything from race, but the course = Annoying - Can't you do your workout not in my way

Bandit#3)  Just want to run some of the race with a friend = cheating - Everywhere on the race course there are people doing their best - they may not be genetically gifted, but are trying to beat the person in front of them - Having a bandit help them to a time - just sucks.

Bandit #4)  Little kids that run last 1/4 mile of Marathon with Mom or Dad = Cute - as long as they are not impeding

Bandit #5)  Thinks he/she is running the race but does not want to spend the money = "If you ain't got no money - take your broke ass home!"

I really do not care that much - Just having fun

I have been irritated in 10ks when someone jumps in and paces a friend that I am trying to race

I have seen many friend jump in and pace a marathon person near me - They take off away from me and then I see them broken and walking at mile #22 - The pacing friend usually does more harm than good.

well put