For those who've moved to Jersey (Read 805 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

While I appreciate the thread derailments (I'm guilty of them from time to time), I'm not considering moving to Camden, Newark, Elizabeth, or off to Detroit, etc.  I'm actually looking for opinions from people who've moved to NJ (assuming they moved from NYC).  :-P

As for Park Slope being on the "wrong side of the bridges" well, that's a bit 90's of you. Cool 

NY Mag rated in the best neighborhood in all of NYC.  "Many" would argue (correctly or not, but you can't deny people do) that NYC is the best city in the country.  Many would argue (again, correctly or not) that we're in the best country all around.  Ergo, one might argue Park Slope is the best place to live, in the world (big stretch, I know, but one might make that argument).

But, all silliness aside, my point is I'm possibly leaving a great place to live (best or otherwise), because it's damn expensive.  I'd like to find another great place to live, and that's hard and a bit scary.

And it only took to page two for the congrats.  Thanks Lagwagon.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

I'm not considering moving to Camden, Newark, Elizabeth, or off to Detroit, etc.  I'm actually looking for opinions from people who've moved to NJ  

pssst....Camden, Newark and Elizabeth are in NJ. Since you're considering a move to Essex Co., I would think some thoughts on the biggest city in Essex would be at least interesting.

Anyway, I appreciate that moving from a place you love is tough. Good luck.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      xhristopher

I'm actually looking for opinions from people who've moved to NJ (assuming they moved from NYC).  :-P

Friends of my wife moved from NYC to NJ due to the same predicament that you and your wife are in. When a second kid came along they had to move even further out. They've capped their situation at Westfield. How big do you envision your predicament growing? The 2-3 child radius from NYC seems nice and suburban.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I do realize they're in NJ, but figured moving from Park Slope might give people an idea of where I was thinking (and where I might not be). 

And I wonder if things are reallllly cheaper... I mean, I'd need a car (and insurance, and gas).  I'd need a monthly NJ rail pass or buss pass (x2, since there are two of us) PLUS, the monthly metro card.  I'm betting all of that would be at least $500 - $800 a month, no?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

Friends of my wife moved from NYC to NJ due to the same predicament that you and your wife are in. When a second kid came along they had to move even further out. They've capped their situation at Westfield. How big do you envision your predicament growing? The 2-3 child radius from NYC seems nice and suburban.

I will see to it, after delivery, that our predicament does not, ever, grow.  Black eye

We WERE planning on one and done.  

Surprise!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

I do realize they're in NJ, but figured moving from Park Slope might give people an idea of where I was thinking (and where I might not be). 

And I wonder if things are reallllly cheaper... I mean, I'd need a car (and insurance, and gas).  I'd need a monthly NJ rail pass or buss pass (x2, since there are two of us) PLUS, the monthly metro card.  I'm betting all of that would be at least $500 - $800 a month, no?

A bus pass into the city runs about $400 monthly, I think.  Same deal with the train.  You can't do it on daily tickets...that's like $40 round trip.

Or, at least from down here.  It might be cheaper up north. 

Needing a car is indeed a pain...like you said, insurance, gas, payments.  Even parking at the train station possibly $10/day.

Jeff

Tech Tee and MrFinn-   My son went to boarding school in Blairstown (he ran for Blair).  It is an awesome place, but I wouldn't want to make the daily commute to NYC.  I go back there to visit friends we made at Blair.

I grew up outside of Philadelphia and get back to the area about every 6-8 weeks to visit family.  I couldn't move back, though. 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

xhristopher

Even parking at the train station possibly $10/day.

Depending on where you end up you had better put your name on the wait list right away. By the time a spot frees up you might need it.

Jill_B

I fly.

A bus pass into the city runs about $400 monthly, I think.  Same deal with the train.  You can't do it on daily tickets...that's like $40 round trip.

Or, at least from down here.  It might be cheaper up north. 

Needing a car is indeed a pain...like you said, insurance, gas, payments.  Even parking at the train station possibly $10/day.

I lived on the train line when we lived in North Jersey - we could walk to the station from our house (which also meant the tracks were at the end of my street).  If you live in Maplewood, Millburn or thereabouts you could get away without a car for a while.  Eventually everyone in Jersey drives.

Bring it on.

I lived in Edison and commuted to Midtown for a while, office across the street from Penn Station, and will not do it if both of us have to commute, just the hours away from really young kids can become a factor.  You are adding at least 60 min commute each way when everything goes to plan, in addition to all the costs you mention.  Once the kids grow up and need space to run around maybe.

Prince of Fatness

Tech Tee and MrFinn-   My son went to boarding school in Blairstown (he ran for Blair).  It is an awesome place, but I wouldn't want to make the daily commute to NYC.  I go back there to visit friends we made at Blair.

If you will be in the area again shoot me a note.  I live close by.

Not at it at all. 

^^ For sure.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

I grew up outside of Philadelphia and get back to the area about every 6-8 weeks to visit family.  I couldn't move back, though. 

Where did you live near Philly?

I was in a township called Upper Dublin.  Ft. Washington, etc...Why couldn't you move back?

I would in a heartbeat if I could get work there...well, not sure the rest of the family would like it.

Taxes are lower, there are these things called, what is it?  "Hills"?  Can't remember.  Oh, also, there is "dirt".  Down here, we just have sand.

yet, I like it here.  it's more rural and less built up from where I grew up.  We still have two dirt roads left (only two, there used to be more when I moved here 20 years ago).

Jeff

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I moved from rural PA to Bergen County, NJ and I work in Manhattan.  I live about 10 mins from the GW bridge, and honestly, I can't see it being that much different from living in one of the boroughs (the bridge is a little longer).  It's great.  Access to the city when you want that, some peace and quiet when that's what you want.  The food isn't as good (on average) but all in all a very nice place to live.

Montclair is a nice area and has access to the PATH.

PS - I grew up hating on NJ.  If you travel the length of 95 or find yourself in Camden or Newark, it is not hard to see why it has the reputation it does.  The rest of the state is nice (for the most part).  Edison and Einstein both called NJ home...they're no dummies.

**Ask me about streaking**