Running and Weight Loss (Read 4289 times)

Hi Geordie Girl, There's no secret to weight loss -- use more calories than you burn and you will lose weight. It doesn't matter whether you get them from ice cream or granola bars. (it does matter nutrionally of course). I'm in a similar position: beginner at running, looking for fitness, weight loss, karma upgrades and all that other good stuff. I'm coming to the conclusion that I can't just work out to lose weight - I must also watch what I eat or when I exercise more I'll just eat more. So I'm also going to track calories as well as miles. But that's just me. You'll come up with whatever metric you find most convenient, perhaps as simple as "the pants test" or as complicated as the BodPod. Trent gave an excellent overview on energy delivery and "sustainable eating habits". Advice on other posters on strength training is also valid. I think balance is key though: eat a little less than you do now, run a little more than you do now, and maybe lift weights or do some situps and pushups during commercials on TV Big grin. You just have to realize that your body got the way it is now over several years so changing it will also take time. It's *so* much easier to do all this a little bit at a time and realize that you're in it for the long haul -- no pressure so less stress. Consistency and will power are key here -- planned, long term caloric deficit is way more effective at losing weight than any exercise regimen. Don't get me wrong, you *have* to exercise to get fitter, but you must *also* watch calories to lose weight at the same time. If you run a 500 calorie/day deficit you'll lose a pound a week. 52 pounds a year. I wouldn't want to go much more than that if you're also increasing your exercise since your body needs fuel to do all this new moving around stuff. Good luck at it. I'm sure you can do it.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If you run a 500 calorie/day deficit you'll lose a pound a week. 52 pounds a year. I wouldn't want to go much more than that if you're also increasing your exercise since your body needs fuel to do all this new moving around stuff.
      Amen. The key is understanding what your needs are, what you actually take in and what you actually expend when exercising. And then sustaining any change. Most of us underestimate the calories we eat and overestimate the calories we burn...
        I am down to the last 1/2 stone to lose and finding it very frustrating but I'm probably putting too much emphasis on the scales. So while I understand the principals for weight loss I had hoped the increase in training would give me the boost, just as ever with me its never quick enough Smile I will start monitoring calorie intake to ensure I'm not eating more than I think or maybe even less than I need. I'm sure at somepoint it will all even out. thanks and good luck too.
          Geordi Girl, I got over my scale-fixation by realizing that I'm mostly water and figuring a 1%-2% swing in body water per day is about a 1.5 to 3.5 pound difference at my body weight (~200 lbs). This dwarfs the 1/7 pound per day of weight loss you'd see from a 500 Cal/day deficit. If my body, for example, decides to add 1/7 of a lb per day (cuz it's thirsty Smile) over the next several days, my scale weight won't budge even if I'm running a 500 Cal/day deficit. Eventually, however, the caloric deficit will show up on scale despite body water % fluctuations, so stick with it and you'll see results. The Hacker's Diet talks about this extensively and uses a trend line to estimate your true weight. You can read the link for the details but's its basically "trend = prev.trend + 10% * (scale.weight.today - prev.trend)". As long as you're in "lose weight mode", your scale weight will, on most days, be lower than the trend. I've found this useful, since it's easy to track and gives me positive feedback even when my scale weight varies each day. I used to say: OMG! I starved myself yesterday and still gained a pound!!. Now I say: hmm, the scale says I weigh a pound more than yesterday, but it's still below the trend so i'm still losing weight. Yay! That's just me. You should do what works for you. I do though, want to encourage you to stick with it and know that if you do, you'll get to your goal.
          muse_runner

keep running.

Trent, what do you eat normally though? I eat about 350 grams of carbs (285 after netting fiber out) and about 1850-1650 cals a day. 60% carbs, 25% protein, 20% fat. I am 124 pounds or something close to that and 5'5'' I need to lose fat and it's going to take me FOR EVER to get the fat off. I'm thinking 3 pounds of fat and I'll be happy. That should take me a good 2-3 months if I am consistent.
            running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Muse, what about adding some weight workouts? I find that nothing burns fat for me like doing both running and a couple of intense strength-training sessions. Plus it makes my arms look much shapelier. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ya pick up some weights Big grin Nothing helps burn fat like muscle! I'm not Trent, but I'm going to put in my 2cents worth. Since I put alot of miles in as well as weight lift I try to keep my calories to 2000-2400. I'm 5'6 and 126lbs (was 130 a month ago). I'd up the calories a bit if I were you Muse.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Apologies if I am been a bit hopeless here but I dont have a big appetite and with adding in my running and still not losing weight I have been trying to cut down a bit more, so from advice so far I have been tracking calories for the last few days and my average is around 1000 per day, monday was only 712. I know you have to eat properly to give your body fuel but I struggle to eat even the 1000k unless I add 'bad' food like chocolate. I appreciate I wont be running as much as some of you but I am increasing slightly each week and currently at around 15 miles a week at the mo. What cals do you think I should be eating? Confused Cheers Smile
                    I think you should be eating way more! Unless you have been told otherwise by a doctor, you should eat no less than 1200 calories a day or risk putting your body into starvation mode. You need calories to just function! So you're burning calories by just being alive, and then you're burning a bunch more by running. Your body then puts itself into starvation mode. Essentially, it holds onto everything you give it, because you're not getting enough to eat, and your body wants to protect itself. Eat more! Healthy calories. Add a handful of almonds. Protein shakes. Protein bars. If you continue the way you're going, I'm afraid you're going to end up hurting yourself.
                    Scout7

Hmmm.... I would say that, at this point, your best bet would be to talk to a professional, like a registered dietician. Other than that, I will say this. Losing weight is not easy, especially when you get down lower. Law of diminishing returns kicks in at some point, and makes that last bit of fat hard to lose. That being said, the real trick to it all, is just sticking with it. Without knowing any more about you, though, there's the possibility that your body is in starvation mode. 712 calories is not a lot for anyone, especially for someone who is more active.
                        I think you should be eating way more! Unless you have been told otherwise by a doctor, you should eat no less than 1200 calories a day or risk putting your body into starvation mode. You need calories to just function! So you're burning calories by just being alive, and then you're burning a bunch more by running. Your body then puts itself into starvation mode. Essentially, it holds onto everything you give it, because you're not getting enough to eat, and your body wants to protect itself. Eat more! Healthy calories. Add a handful of almonds. Protein shakes. Protein bars. If you continue the way you're going, I'm afraid you're going to end up hurting yourself.
                        SECOND THIS!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ditto everything Piper said. Everything I have ever read gives 1200 as the bare minimum. I know that my BMR is ~1400, so I try to not eat much less than that more than a couple of days/week and never below 1200. If you make a habit of eating too little your body will readjust its "set point" and you can risk really killing your metabolism. That's the last thing you want to do. Our bodies are very adaptive, which is why it's so tough to lose weight for many of us. You definitely don't want your body to adapt to starvation, though...'cause then when you do eat a healthy amount of calories it will hoarde them for the next period of starvation. You gotta eat to live. Don't hurt your body...no weight loss is worth causing more damage. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Geordie, use this calculator just to get an idea of what yoru body needs for simple daily function. That will give you a good baseline of what you need just to be alive and breathing (this doesn't include any activity...just what your body burns to stay alive). k

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

Also, Try to eat throughout the day. I eat about 6 times a day. I have cereal for breakfast, a little later I have some yogurt, little after that I have fruit or something, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner. Keeps me from overindulging at any one moment.
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Rockin' Mama is right. Muscle burns fat and calores. If you have a good bit of muscle, you will burn more calories during they day than if you do not. If you are loaded with muscle, you could spend the day in bed and burn more calories than most folks in our society do when they sit at a desk working. I try to eat a varied diet, taking in < 1800-2000="" kcal="" per="" day,="" except="" in="" the="" days="" leading="" up="" to="" a="" long="" run.="" when="" i="" am="" paying="" closest="" attention="" to="" my="" intake,="" i="" will="" go="" as="" low="" as="" 1000-1500.="" to="" do="" this,="" i="" need="" to="" employ="" several="" techniques="" to="" keep="" myself="" from="" cravings.="" these="" include="" eating="" a="" lot="" of="" lightly="" cooked="" or="" raw="" veggies="" which="" fill="" you="" up,="" bulky="" fruits,="" complex="" carbs,="" etc.="" i="" rarely="" drink="" soft="" drinks="" (although="" i="" do="" love="" coke)="" and="" never="" drink="" diet="" drinks="" (there="" is="" research="" that="" shows="" that="" artificial="" sweeteners="" over="" time="" increase="" cravings="" for="" other="" sweets="" and="" may="" correlate="" with="" increased="" caloric="" intake="" over="" time).="" for="" example,="" most="" mornings="" i="" have="" a="" serving="" of="" raisin="" bran="" (which="" is="" much="" less="" cereal="" than="" you'd="" think)="" with="" 1%="" milk="" and="" a="" banana:="" 300="" kcal.="" an="" apple="" midmorning:="" 60="" kcal.="" lunch="" may="" be="" 1.5="" cups="" of="" brown="" rice,="" some="" seaweed="" and="" some="" grilled="" salmon:="" 400-500="" kcal.="" an="" alternate="" lunch="" is="" a="" baked="" potato="" with="" tons="" of="" lightly="" steamed="" brocolli="" and="" a="" touch="" of="" parmesan="" cheese:="" 250-300="" kcal.="" a="" few="" bites="" of="" dark="" chocolate,="" an="" espresso="" or="" two="" and="" maybe="" a="" granola="" bar:="" 200="" kcal.="" dinner="" varies="" from="" pasta="" to="" stir="" fry="" to="" home="" made="" pizzas="" to="" rice="" and="" beans,="" but="" usually="" ~500="" kcal.="" total:="" 1400="" -="" 1500="" kcal.="" a="" bit="" of="" juice="" and="" a="" couple="" of="" other="" snacks="" that="" i="" don't="" think="" about="" during="" the="" day="" and="" i="" am="" probably="" at="" 1500-1800.="" />www.nutritiondata.com is a great resource! Oh, and eating too little will put you into starvation mode and you will hold on to your consumed calories more tightly, paradoxically making it harder to drop the weight.