Which way do I go? (Read 886 times)

Freerunner

Hi Ya'll, Got a question that I know has been answered before but forgot which way to go. Question: If I want to improve my mins/mile time do I run more mileage per week or do I cut the miles and run a shorter distance and run it faster? I hope this makes sense! Confused Only been running since November. I currently am running at a 13:00mins/miles approx. Undecided Thanks in advance for everyones input! Smile Freerunner
      More miles should do it for you. It seems really counter-intuitive, but keep running at an easy pace and you'll see big speed gains over time.

-------------------------------------
      5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
      10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
      1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
      Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

More miles. Once you've become accustomed to more mileage, run some of them faster.
          I don't remember where I heard this, but it's not mine originally: To run faster, run farther. To run farther, slow down. It's definitely worked for me the last 9 months or so.

The Greatest of All Time

Your speed should increase significantly the first year with no speed work as you become fitter and more efficient. So, just add miles slowly.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
              It depends on what your weekly mileage is now. If you are under 15 mpw then just continue to build your base. The added endurance will also increase your average pace. If you are currently running more than 15 mpw, you have an adequate base to start adding speed work. Start out with hill work and easy fartlek's then add temp runs and intervals as your mileage builds. BTW, it would help us give you better advice if you would make your running log public. Tom
              JakeKnight

Which way do I go?
                Go that way. Really fast. If something gets in your ... turn.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

geekfarm@centurytel.net

Way to go. Nicely said!
                    Go that way. Really fast. If something gets in your ... turn.
                    Better Off Dead one of the greatest movies EVER! All the advice I have ever seen says run farther the speed will come....