Twin Cities Runners Help me Find a Running Store Please (Read 1200 times)

Bugs

Can anyone recommend a VERY good store to get fitted for running shoes in central minnesota? I was look at Marathon Sports. I'm driving from Mankato and want it to be worth the drive. Thanks!

Bugs

Bugs: I haven't checked this message board for a while and I'm glad I checked this this morning. Go to Marathon Sports and ask for Corey Swan or...who else is still there? I haven't visited there for a while. If Corey is there, tell him Nobby sent you. He looks a bit scarey but a nice guy and he knows his stuff. Oh, and incidentally, he did "Hill Springing" for our website's Hill Training DVD. The owner, John Long, is a super nice guy and VERY knowledgeable but talks your ears off (but funny!). Another good store would be Start Line at Ridge Haven. Ask for Monica (owner). They've got a good system there too. Gear West is west end of the town (Long Lake) and it's 5 minutes drive from my place (Wayzata). And if you come this far, drop me a line or call; we'll have a coffee and check out your shoe issue! I'll be free between noon till 3. (nobby415@msn.com or 763-443-9828...I wonder if anybody contact me with this...???)
        Bugs - A great running store is Lakeville is Runner's Gate (Cedar Ave and Cty Rd 46). They've got a treadmill in the store which allows you to test out the shoes on the spot. I highly recommend this store for you. Let me know if you need directions or have any other quesitons. Peter
        obiebyke

Marathon Sports has a treadmill, too. They're great. Give Minneapolis a kiss from this homesick ex-pat.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Bugs

Nobby, Not going up till Saturday, but maybe I'll see you at the Irish Day race? I talked to Cory, he's not working that day but he gave me names. Told him you recommended him! Cool mn_26p2_man, I may stop there too, curious to see what two different places say. Oh might have to stop by Buccas on the way. Num.

Bugs

I like Run N Fun in St Paul. A huge selection of clothing and shoes, much bigger than Marathon (which I also like, just not as much). They also have a treadmill, and Olympians on staff. One odd thing about this store is everything is on sale, starting around 10% for shoes, and everything else you buy that trip is more off. http://www.run-n-fun.com/
              Mr R

In all my travels, I've never found a running store like The Fun. They have so much stuff, and big closeout racks. I can't comment on shoe fitting, because I know exactly what I want in a shoe, but I've always been very impressed with their knowledge about products and the sport. They also support a lot of local sub-elites, so I like to support them. Nobby, I didn't realize you were a Minnesotan.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

bratschtown

I like Run N Fun in St Paul. A huge selection of clothing and shoes, much bigger than Marathon (which I also like, just not as much). They also have a treadmill, and Olympians on staff. One odd thing about this store is everything is on sale, starting around 10% for shoes, and everything else you buy that trip is more off. http://www.run-n-fun.com/
                  Dittos on Run-n-Fun. They always have found ways to give me discounts I don't deserve. They are all very knowledgeable, too.
                  I'm just finishing the second coat.
                    Try Startline in Minnetonka by Ridgedale. I went to Marathon sports once and they put me in the wrong shoes, took me a year to figure it out injury after injury. Marathon put me in NB 767's and I later learned that I am not an overpronater, I eventually learned that I have low arches so my sole wear pattern looks like an overpronater. 767 was the wrong shoe. The kid at Marathon determined I needed that shoe by looking at the sole of my old shoe, he didn't watch my gait at all. I haven't bought shoes at Startline, but I know people who have that rave about the place.
                      Dittos on Run-n-Fun. They always have found ways to give me discounts I don't deserve. They are all very knowledgeable, too.
                      I went here yesterday afternoon to ask them about some lower leg pain and possible inserts for my shoes (I think the issue is inadequate arch support) and they just kind of stood around and gave me half-assed answers or "I don't know"s while I was there. The store was not busy, so I had been hoping that someone would have spent more time really trying to help me. I had brought my running shoes with me, in case they wanted to watch me on the treadmill and either recommend another shoe or an insert or something...but they didn't even ask. WTF? modified to add: and the inserts were 35.00, with NO sale or discount. Hmm.

Bugs

lfichtel, That stinks. When I talked to Corey at Marathon Sports he said, "Bring everything, old shoes, orthotics, etc.." It was blowing snow pretty good today so I didn't go to the cities. Dramatic change in temps today. Hope you guys got your run in this morning.

Bugs

lfichtel, That stinks. When I talked to Corey at Marathon Sports he said, "Bring everything, old shoes, orthotics, etc.." It was blowing snow pretty good today so I didn't go to the cities. Dramatic change in temps today. Hope you guys got your run in this morning.
                          Well, I'm glad you didn't come! I totally forgot! ;o) C'mon; the weather wasn't that bad--ran 1:15 at 5PM; 3F or -16F with windchill. Actually had a nice run around Long Lake area. It'll be interesting tomorrow morning though... Ifichtel (or is it lfichtel?): What makes you think your leg problem is caused by inadequate arch support? I would suggest strengthening your arch first (in general)... Sure, sometimes I would put some extra cushion (usually just a strip of cut-off Dr. Schole's insole) to build up medial side of the shoe; but I would definitely consider some alternative before you slip your feet into some of those overly built-up bulky "stability" shoes or spend extra 3-digit $$$ on some rigid orthotics. Just my 2 cents...
                            Ifichtel (or is it lfichtel?): What makes you think your leg problem is caused by inadequate arch support? I would suggest strengthening your arch first (in general)... Sure, sometimes I would put some extra cushion (usually just a strip of cut-off Dr. Schole's insole) to build up medial side of the shoe; but I would definitely consider some alternative before you slip your feet into some of those overly built-up bulky "stability" shoes or spend extra 3-digit $$$ on some rigid orthotics. Just my 2 cents...
                            (it's lfichtel) Smile I started running last fall, and started developing pain in my inner lower legs once I was doing 3 miles/3-4x a week. I went to a physical/massage therapist, and she indicated that my deep lower calf muscles (not the ones I can get with stretching, but the ones that I can't reach - go figure) were super knotted up. I took 8 weeks off and got back to normal, then started up again (very slowly - I thought maybe I had just done too much too quickly) last month, using The Stick to help with muscle tightness. Well, recently, the pain has been returning. I've been studying it, and it seemed to me as if it was being caused by a slight pronation when I ran, leading to more stress being put on the inside of my leg when I landed than the outside. I know that I don't have great arches (I also dance ballet, and I am insanely jealous of people with beautiful, strong, flexible feet, because mine just aren't), and I will work on strengthening them as well, but I thought I'd just talk to someone with running knowledge and see what they said. Well, since they weren't much help at Run N Fun, I made the decision myself to get the inserts, and I ran a quick mile on the treadmill with them yesterday - and they definitely helped my leg pain. It felt great! There was some residual tightness from a quick run the day before, but nowhere near the gradually building knots that I could feel before. So, I think my game plan now is to use the inserts to keep my legs from hurting, but also work on building foot/lower leg strength (I know that running uses different muscles than ballet, but trust me - my legs are pretty strong from all of those plies and releves and jumps and stuff!). If you know of any specific exercises that help build running muscles in the feet or lower legs, I'd love to hear them! Smile Lauren
                              lfichtel: I think your assessment is correct. Naturally, if your arch collapses, you will put a lot more pressure on the inside of your leg; medial side of shin as well as medial side of the knee mostly. There are, however, number of reasons/causes that might have contributed and I cannot simply say; yeah, it's pronation. Once again, the shin pain is probably from over-pronation; but that pronation might have come from weak arch; could be from your running style; could be bone structure (are you knock-knee?). There was this girl I coached years ago; she shuffles around but her toes were visibly pointing outward as she lands. Consequently, she was putting a lot of pressure on the inner ankle as she lands on the tip of her heel; yet momentum would carry on the rest of her leg to move forward. In this occasion, I cut open the medial side of her shoe and inserted a piece of foam to build up the medial side of mid-sole--much like old Brooks' varus edge. I don't think it worked... I think she needed a lot more than just that. For someone like her, I would now recommend serious technique work to straighten her leg. I like the circular motion of legs; this way, you would land your feet almost directly from the knee and you shouldn't create too much torque this way. Some people are naturally knock-knee (being a ballet dancer, I would think you are not but you never know... ;o)) and it's hard to work on the born structrue like that. One thing you have to realize; the higher off you are from the ground, the less stable you will get. This means, for whatever the reason, if you tend to get this torque more than usual, it would most likely be better off if you stay low to the ground; meaning, get a shoe with minimal heel lift. Again, learning this circular motion of the leg can help--I remember Kenny Moore, being terribly knocked- knee, ran very much tip-toe and he did alright (4th in the Olympic marathon). Of course, he's from old Onitsuka-Tiger school (of course, later Nike). Being a ballet dancer, another thing you might want to consider is running very much tip toe (right after I mentioned about Kenny Moore being tip-toe...). I mean, I've seen people run very tip toe and, particularly in the initial building-up phase when they are not moving over the center of gravity fast enough, they tend to "over-stride" and that seems to put a lot of pressure on their shin and cause commonly known as shiin splint. It is from the braking action as they land on their toes. I'm not a heel-to-toe proponent; once again, I think it might pay to learn the technique of landing mid-foot (or Japanese would call it; "flat-footed" landing). I think it's good that you're experimenting with your own insole. I usually cut up small piece of sponge here and there just build up till I feel most comfortable. I always look at it like "no shoe would be perfect for you coming out of a box". I always almost expect to have to work on it to fit most comfortably to my feet. Most of the time, all it takes is, like I said, is a few strips of sponge. Structurely, my left foot tends to collapst inward very slightly. I usually place a small piece of wedge (was it varus wedge, or varus edge...???) in the medial side of the heel in my left shoe. 99% of the time, this is enough to take care of most uncomfortable feeling as I stand in my shoes. Now, I babbled along... There are few exercises you can do to strengthen your arch. I think most common ones would be to pick up a wet towel with your toes (feel the arch contracting and working...); or place a piece of cloth or handcacheaf (spelling?) under your foot; secure it by placing weight on your heel; and by wiggling of your toes, curl it up toward you (does this explanation make sense?). Or by placing a rope or something around your toes; secure it with both your hands and slowy try to push the rope with your toes. Once again, feel the arch doing some work, contracting. Of course, the best thing you can do, once the weather gets warmer, is to go out on a soccer field or something and walk around bearfoot. You don't have to be too ambitious and jog 3 miles around the park bearfoot or anything like that. Just walk around first; then do some skipping; the side ways... Even for 5 minutes or so, doing things like these bearfoot would help. Once again, feel all those small muscles doing the work in your feet. Spread your toes, walk pigeon toe; then frot toe (spread out outwardly); play around a little bit... Also one of the most important thing, I think, is not to wear those rigid ski boot-like bulky shoes during the day. Your feet would eventually lose the ability to properly fundtion if they are ristricted in those rigid shoes all day long. You may run for 30 minutes or an hour; but it's what you do the rest of the day that sometimes counts. Oh, by the way, what shoes do you wear now? Just curious...
                                PS: One more thing, I used to have what was casually called "calf heart attack" (by John Parker, Jr. I believe...). My calves got so knotted up, cramping up, and eventually bang! muscle pull. Rest didn't help... This was when I was trying to come back to running and was running about 20 minutes or so at a time (I don't count miles; I go by time). I would be jogging just nice and easily and then all of a sudden, bang! My calf would knotted up followed by a sharp pain and 2 weeks of running gone. I was so frustrated; I used The Stick; I used iceing, massage, stretching... Nothing seems to have worked. Then one day, I just decided I'd go minimalist shoes and starting, very short and slow, running in Japanese marathon racing shoes--hardly any heel lift. I started running up and down the cross country trail in those shoes and.... Next thing I know, all my calf problems went away. I believe it was because of more natural movement of my feet and legs and consequently it stretched all the muscles in my legs in a more natural way. It took me a while (didn't quite count...) and in the beginning, very slowly and not much running at all--in fact, couldn't run that much in those shoes much at all at first! I just ran 2-hours (well, 1:55) in these this morning. Yes, you're in Twin Cities, right? It was -15F and -38 with windchill! http://www.asics.co.jp/hinban/TMM391/ASI_TMM391_0150_G2.jpg