Snowshoe Running / Running Snowshoes (Read 132 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I ended up paying ~$160.  Atlas has 3 models for running…I purchased the mid-level ones.  They typically retail for about $210.  Seems like a good starting point.

I probably won't even attempt snowshoeing until I am fully healed (having my right ovary with its kiwi-sized cyst removed).  Surgery is laparoscopic, so I'm guessing I will be cleared to do easier stuff after about 2 weeks (maybe starting with short runs on the treadmill if roads are at all sketchy.  Maybe nowhere bike, but my road bike has aggressive enough geometry that I'm not sure my gut will do well in that position with my thighs potentially whacking into lower belly incision(s)).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Village people

I ended up paying ~$160.  Atlas has 3 models for running…I purchased the mid-level ones.  They typically retail for about $210.  Seems like a good starting point.

I probably won't even attempt snowshoeing until I am fully healed (having my right ovary with its kiwi-sized cyst removed).  Surgery is laparoscopic, so I'm guessing I will be cleared to do easier stuff after about 2 weeks (maybe starting with short runs on the treadmill if roads are at all sketchy.  Maybe nowhere bike, but my road bike has aggressive enough geometry that I'm not sure my gut will do well in that position with my thighs potentially whacking into lower belly incision(s)).

Good luck, I hope it heals quickly.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks!  Last time I had a laparoscopic procedure (tubal ligation) I recall only feeling icky/sore for 2-3 days…but I also wasn't active back then and was 10 years younger.  Also didn't have organs removed, so I don't really know what to expect with this.  A friend had laparoscopic hernia surgery going on 3 weeks ago and she's still really struggling with recovery -- and she's a complete badass nearly 10 years younger than I am.

~ Sarah Kay

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I have a pair of the Atlas Runs (older model.)  They're great!  Snowshoeing is an awesome workout.  You won't regret buying them.  Find a trail with a nice, steep, long, downhill after you have a bunch of fresh powder that no one else has touched.  It's like flying running down that in snowshoes.

Heal quickly from your surgery!

Running is dumb.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have a pair of the Atlas Runs (older model.)  They're great!  Snowshoeing is an awesome workout.  You won't regret buying them.  Find a trail with a nice, steep, long, downhill after you have a bunch of fresh powder that no one else has touched.  It's like flying running down that in snowshoes.

Heal quickly from your surgery!

Thanks!  And really happy for the positive review of those shoes!

Ha, and now I am picturing myself picking up too much momentum, tripping, and turning into human snowball barreling down the hill and crashing into the nearest tree! Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Ha, and now I am picturing myself picking up too much momentum, tripping, and turning into human snowball barreling down the hill and crashing into the nearest tree! Tongue

Hee. I misjudged a hill I was on. Steep enough that you need to lean forward to get traction. And then have to move your feet faster than you possibly can to keep up with body. Trail (actually a never-used dirt road) was packed, but iirc I was able to bail in the soft snow to the side. I really didn't want to lose it on the packed trail (I was late 50s, maybe early 60s at the time).

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Latent Runner

I bought my first (and so far only) pair of running snowshoes (Dions) early this year and competed in my first race in late February, right before cataract surgery and an enforced one month cessation of all strenious activity.  During the race, and as a result of my compromised depth perception, I missed a "bump" in the trail which turned out to be the top half of a one-foot diameter rock under the new fallen snow.  I tripped on said rock and fell ass over tea-kettle off the trail and down into the woods below (did I mention this was also a night run where all of the runners were wearing headlights?).  I swear, at least a half of a dozen racers left the trail, chased me down into the woods, and helped me back up to the trail before continuing on their merry way.  Blush

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                • 2-mile: 13:49
                • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                • 5-Mile: 37:24
                • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I bought my first (and so far only) pair of running snowshoes (Dions) early this year and competed in my first race in late February, right before cataract surgery and an enforced one month cessation of all strenious activity.  During the race, and as a result of my compromised depth perception, I missed a "bump" in the trail which turned out to be the top half of a one-foot diameter rock under the new fallen snow.  I tripped on said rock and fell ass over tea-kettle off the trail and down into the woods below (did I mention this was also a night run where all of the runners were wearing headlights?).  I swear, at least a half of a dozen racers left the trail, chased me down into the woods, and helped me back up to the trail before continuing on their merry way.  Blush

This is the sort of thing I thought I could avoid by going into the woods on-foot, instead of on-bike (haven't really done any single-track on a bike in just over a year…last time I did I busted my right wrist in 2 spots.  Gunshyness sucks!!). Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Latent Runner

This is the sort of thing I thought I could avoid by going into the woods on-foot, instead of on-bike (haven't really done any single-track on a bike in just over a year…last time I did I busted my right wrist in 2 spots.  Gunshyness sucks!!). Tongue

I probably wouldn't have had the issue had I not been (temporarily) blind in one eye.  After having gone blind in my right eye in 2010 and then again in my left eye in 2013, I can honestly tell you that the gift of sight is NOT overrated, especially when one likes to run on trails with lots of stuff which requires depth perception to avoid.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

There's gonna be days when I'll want snowshoes. Wonder how well they work in 3 feet of soft fresh snow. I'm sure even a snowshoe 1 mile walk will be a good workout in those conditions. Probably more fun than post-holing (great expession someone used above).
                        There's gonna be days when I'll want snowshoes. Wonder how well they work in 3 feet of soft fresh snow. I'm sure even a snowshoe 1 mile walk will be a good workout in those conditions. Probably more fun than post-holing (great expession someone used above).

The running ones will sink. It might take a backcountry model to float in 3ft of fresh snow.

However, if you break trail and hike over it time and again, you will likely make a base. (some kinds of snow just don't like to pack, even with regular groomers). Get your buddies out for a snowshoe hike - about half a dozen work really well.

FWIW, a section of abandoned railroad trail usually takes me under 1 hr, closer to 50 min (3.8mi rt). If we get about 12-18in of fresh snow, it could take me 2 hr rt.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Latent Runner

When I signed up for the race I ran in February I did some studying on the whole running snowshoe thing, and came away with one factoid, "A snowshoe race of any given distance will be about one minute per mile slower than that same distance run on dry pavement."

Ummm, yeah, about that...

While I hadn't run a 5K in a couple of decades prior to my 5K snowshoe race, I kind of figured I could run the distance in 25 to 27 minutes; it took me a whopping 45 minutes to do the race.  Of course the fact that we had something like nine to twelve inches of fresh heavy snow to contend with didn't help.

Fat old man PRs:

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Getting intimate (so to speak) with snow by taking up regular snowshoe running (or walking even), makes you realize why Eskimos have a bunch of different words for snow.

The most difficult snow is virgin snow Wink  Breaking trail in more than four to six inches gets really hard, really fast.  Add in a hill and you are walking or barfing.  And how wet or dry the snow is makes a difference.

Snow that is iced over can leave a lip of crust that wants to catch the tip of your snowshoe when you push off.  Usually happens when you are dog tired and getting sloppy.

The easiest snow has been packed down by some lunatic who drove his four wheel drive truck on your path.  The only problem is that his tire track isn't wide enough, so you have to widen it manually (also increasing your fall risk, or at the very least tiring out your ankles).

Believe it or not, snowmobile tracks are kind of sucky to run in because the tracks have churned up the snow and make it mealy like wet sand.  Lots of slippage because your cleats can't find purchase.

It's also Murphy's Law that once you have packed down a nice trail from a couple days of out and backs, either it will rain and melt, snow a whole ton and bury it, or a snow mobiler will drive over it and obliterate it.

Happy trails!!

Leah, mother of dogs

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

For me, the best snow is when a couple of people have blazed a trail for you already, but it's not totally packed down yet.

The trails are popular around here and often there will be too many people snowshoeing, which packs down the trail so much that you're better off in regular shoes.  There's definitely a timing element to getting the best conditions.

Running is dumb.

Latent Runner

Murphy is my hero!  Smile

Fat old man PRs: