Help me break 20:00! (5k training ideas) (Read 555 times)

Hey all. I just finished a (5k) race today, and I set a new PR of 20:23. I started the year at 22:30, and set a goal of 19:30 for the end of this year, which I felt was pretty reasonable given my training levels at that time. I've been making up my own training schedule, but would like some recommendations from others at this point, to help me get over the hump. Although I don't have last year's data in RA, I stalled out around 20:40, and I don't want that to happen again. My Plan starting in April was to concentrate on building a slow base, and then in June begin increasing the workout intensity a little bit to improve my stamina. I've been building my mileage slowly, using a staircase pattern where every 4 weeks or so I drop back and then gradually increment up above where I was previously. Not sure if this link will work for others, but here's my weekly mileage graph, to show what I mean: http://www.runningahead.com/logs/eef8fc916c5b4a80b8b3710321379a93/adv_graph It is probably a little on the conservative side mileage-wise, but last year I had tons of problems with my shins and lower legs hurting, and since that was part of the reason I burnt out, I wanted to do what I can to ensure this doesn't happen again. This race, I ran two 6:26 miles, and then kind of imploded and ran the last 1.1 at like a 6:45-6:50 pace. So to break 20:00, I just need to maintain my two mile pace across the entire distance. To break 19:30, I'll need to speed up a little as well. My current plan is to lengthen my tempo runs. I am normally run 4-5 times a week, and I will probably plan on running Tempo, Easy, Tempo, Long one week, followed by Tempo, Easy, Interval, Long the next, where there is a day off between my second intense workout and my long day. Does this seem reasonable? I also want to increase the length of my tempo runs from 2 -3 miles at pace to 3-4 miles at pace. I'll continue to gradually build mileage until I hit 30 miles in late August, and will probably stick around there, as that is about all the time I am willing to put into it. Will this get me there? Any recommendations for good workouts that will help me my last 1.1 in a 5k? Things you think I should do differently? Thanks for your input!
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

A good 5k workout is 3x1mile at your target pace with 3~4min recovery jog. Aim to run the last interval slightly faster than the other two. If you get way slower as the workout progresses, you've picked too fast a target pace. Also within that workout, run the first 1/2 of each mile a few seconds slower than target pace, and speed up slightly in the last 1/2 mile. Doing this will get you used to running faster in the latter part of the race. Even on some of your easy runs, if you do an out-n-back, go out for 20 minutes, aim to come back in 18~19 for example. More work on finishing faster than you start. (but don't overdo it on easy days) And don't forget that the biggest mistake made in a 5k is running the first mile way too fast. We've all done it. Try to run the first mile just a little slower than you feel like you want to, and you'll be ok -- start surging in the 2nd mile. BYW, congrats on your New PR! Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

mikeymike

To me it seems like a lot of fast running without much mileage to support it. I know you said you had some injuries as you built up but I think you would benefit the most from gradually trying to add mileage even if it means backing off from some of the tempos and intervals for a while. If you were able to get your mileage up to even 30 per week I think you'd be amazed at the results.

Runners run