More miles than degrees club (Read 3868 times)

Joined the club a few times in december, but yesterday it was -35F with the wind (-18F on the thermometer) and ran a slow 5 miles with four layers on.

On new year's day it was 1F (-15F with the wind) and ran 5 slow miles too.

I've had my sights on this club since I started the Holiday Streak. Something weird is happening to me and feeling a little "twisted". When planning my run, I now think if, I go a little earlier, or wait until tonight when it's colder, maybe I can joing the More Miles than Temp club. I can't wait to see what my kids think when I tell them I ran 2.11 miles in 2* F.

I'm experiencing this too.  "They" promised 3F this morning, but it was a balmy 8.  Disappointed, didn't make the club.

Well at least someone here is making relevance to the subject.

prideandjoy5

Technically, if it was -6 this morning and I ran 0 miles, I still ran more miles than degrees.  No?

It was -9F this morning, but I couldn't work up the guts for my 12 miler in that.  It's warmed up to a toasty 8F above now, which should still get me a membership...

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

Cheap and Evil Girl

Started out at zero degrees and ended at a temp of 5 degrees.  10 mile run on snowshoes.  Took me 3 hours lol.  Now I must eat all the things.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING.  

"Mental toughness is built by doing something that is hard over and over again, especially when you don't feel like doing it. Our society has conditioned us to believe that there should be no discomfort, to stop when we are uncomfortable. But the discomfort we feel when we're doing a challenging workout is an important part of the strengthening process." -Jim Afremow, The Champion's Mind: How Great Athletes Think, Train, and Thrive

Technically, if it was -6 this morning and I ran 0 miles, I still ran more miles than degrees.  No?

I think somewhere in this thread it says you have to run at least one mile.  Sorry.

Well at least someone here is making relevance to the subject.

Happy

I resigned my membership from this club last year, but I got sucked back in by a New Year's Day "Polar Dash" in Minneapolis. 14 mile race with temperature at -8 deg F at the start (warming up to a balmy -7 deg F by the time I finished).

This is me after finishing (my face froze into that smile -- I was not at all happy):

frosty mug

Some other guy who only ran the 10K (quite fast, I might add):

ouch

"Strawberry cheesecake is my absolute favorite thing to eat after a marathon."  -- Meb Keflezighi

Hey, SubDood! I ran the 10K that day. Yup, it was a little chilly. I'm impressed that you did the whole 14. You were FAST, too! Congratulations.

I've stopped reporting to the thread because I swear I rejoin the club every time I run. Right SubDood? Stupid Minnesota...

Joining the club with 7.47 @ 7 degrees. In Yak-trax.  Not as impressive as most here!

ultramarathon/triathlete

Just bought a pair of YakTrax at lunch today.  My marathon tomorrow should get me in the club.  0 degrees predicted at the start.

HTFU?  Why not!

Coach: Empire Tri Club 

Speed Coach: Brooklyn Tri Club
                      USATF Coach

JimR

Since it was 0F outside, it was a simple matter of getting out the door.  It was colder earlier in the day, but it was plenty sunny out and no wind when I headed out and pretty cozy.  I actually felt wimpy by waiting until it warmed up to 0 before I went out.

High of -4 Monday, low of -14. If I could somehow get 1 mile in...

marathon maniac #1293 2012 Goals 2000 miles - 100 miles in NC24-Fall

Ran 12 miles today.  8F at the start, 10F at the finish.  Actually was too warm for most of it.

Next week, the low on Monday is -20F and the high is -5F, so I should easily rejoin.  Twice.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                            Emil Zatopek

-8 this morning.  I ran 3 miles.

Jackie

Plans for 2014-:Red Flannel Run- Feb.  Trolley Run- April, Klompen Classic- May, Des Moines half marathon-Oct. Run the Woods-Nov.

Stay healthy!

jjbucker

ran 10 miles in 7 degrees temps this morning in Columbia, MD.