2013 Sub-3:30 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 1384 times)

Julia1971

I like those goals!

Tweaking/taper madness in full swing for Boston!

Modified my goals to:  A: (the stars align) sub-3:25, B: Sub 3:27, C: sub 3:30.

Northernman- are you ready & excited!?

Julia1971

I'm a freak of nature.  I actually find long MP runs harder than 5K pace runs.  I think I just have a lot of natural speed.

How's your training going?

Yesterday I had my first interval workout 10 miles with 5 x 1K @ 5K pace. It was very tough. Do you guys find it tough?

northernman

Fight The Future

Hi Jen,

Good to hear you are pumped and ready! I think it's going to be great. Still too far out for weather reports, but I'm thinking/hoping the trend is  looking good.

For my own training, I'm still on track, and have started tapering. No taper madness, though, just routine standard madness (ha ha). Still waiting for ice to thaw from the douglas trail, so I've mostly been inside, although i ran outside on Sunday over the rolling hills on 75th st. At first, I was feeling incredibly strong as I ran east from Douglas. I was going much faster than it felt, and I was taking the hills with no problem. I started to think the tapering was really kicking in, and Boston would be a breeze! When I turned around to go back, i realized it actually was the breeze (from the west) doing all the work, and I wasn't quite as fit as I had thought.

So I'm not sure about a pace for Boston. I am hoping to get a PR, so I'm thinking to try for a 7:35 - 7:40 pace. I can barely sustain that for 5 miles now, so it looks unlikely. But anyway, it should be fun.

David,

I'm with you, I hate the intervals. I'm much more into endurance more than speed. I'm definitely considering moving on to ultra/trail races after this one.

How's your training going? 

It is good I think. I completed 10 mi with 5 x 1K @ 5K pace on Wednesday, and 12 mi yesterday. My legs are in a good shape, a little bit sore on calves. Having said that, I feel a little aching on my ankles on my first step in the morning. I don't know if you all have that feeling. I don't want another injury before my marathon.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

northernman

Fight The Future

David,

I also sometimes have a few steps with some aching soreness in various joints when I get out of bed, but it feels fine after a minute or two, so may not be critical. That being said, you might be running your "easy" runs too fast. If your 5K time is 20:26, I see that your recommended "easy" pace should be about 8:53 minutes per mile, and many of your easy runs are faster than that. It's always tempting to run the easy ones too fast, and that not only makes it harder to hit the optimal paces when you do your fast runs, but it also increases your risk for injury.

Walk-Jogger

David,

I also sometimes have a few steps with some aching soreness in various joints when I get out of bed, but it feels fine after a minute or two, so may not be critical. That being said, you might be running your "easy" runs too fast. If your 5K time is 20:26, I see that your recommended "easy" pace should be about 8:53 minutes per mile, and many of your easy runs are faster than that. It's always tempting to run the easy ones too fast, and that not only makes it harder to hit the optimal paces when you do your fast runs, but it also increases your risk for injury.

Northernman, I'm curious where you're getting the 8:53 easy pace for a 20:26 5K race time? McMillan says easy pace for that 5K time should be 7:40 to 8:40.

Retired &  Loving It

northernman

Fight The Future

Oh, really? Hmm, i thought they would all be somewhat similar.

I use the Tinman's at http://www.runningprs.com

but I think the Oregon Pace wizard ( http://www.teamoregon.com/publication/online/wizard.php ) also gives similar easy paces, although less precise.

Julia1971

David, The stuff around my feet and ankles can be stiff when I wake up in the morning, too, but it's never really caused me problems after I've walked around a little.  It's hard not to be paranoid about injuries.

NorthernMan, I'm happy to hear there hasn't been much madness in your taper, yet.  If it makes you feel any better, I don't think I ever hit MP pace during any of my long MP workouts but still managed it on race day.

As for me, I'm running a 10 miler tomorrow, a half marathon at the end of the month, another half next month, and then some 5Ks this summer.  I'll be hanging out in the marathon dailies until I start training for NYCM in July.  I've got unfinished business with that race.

Julia1971

I'm not sure if people are interested in non-marathon race reports, but here's one for my 10 miler today in the marathoners daily forum.

eric :)

gh

Julia1971

gh

What does "gh" mean?  I surfed the web and I'm torn between "Guitar Hero" and "General Hospital".  Smile

northernman

Fight The Future

Ending my streak of 182 days today, to complete the taper. Hope everyone is healthy and enjoying the weather. I'm off to Boston. Weather report yesterday said East winds 5-15 mph (bad!) and this morning says West winds 20 mph (good!), so can't predict anything. I'm going to try to break 3:20, but feel like a 3:30 is just doable. See you there, maybe, Jen. Best of luck to you and everyone else!

Julia1971

NorthernMan, Wow, that was quite a streak!  You're not going to know what to do with yourself today.  Have a good trip!  I hope you get the favorable wind on Monday.

JenRosie, Hope you had a good trip, too.

Enjoy the expo you two.  And, don't miss the course video.  It's pretty neat.

Julia1971

NorthernMan and JenRosie have checked in in other threads and are alright.

northernman

Fight The Future

No PR for me this time. I had no energy. Felt like I hadn't actually tapered when the race started. Maybe went out too hard on the previous week hill run?  Who knows.. It did feel warmer than I expected in the middle of the race. Hills were not bad at all.

3:24:15

happy that at least I came in faster than my bib number. Was thinking this would be my only time to do boston, but am fairly pissed about bombings and think I will go back next year to show we will not be terrorized.