2013 Sub-3:30 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 1384 times)

Awesome! Heard you yell on our way back. Excellent running, sir!

Yeah, there was about a 10 second brain-to-mouth delay at that point. Glad you guys both had good races!

Julia1971

I've been a bad forumite and haven't been checking the calendar.  I hope our racers have good results this weekend!  Congrats, mStuartm!  I ran a half today.  No PR, but a good result nonetheless.  One more month until I start training for NYCM!

northernman

Fight The Future

3:16:18. Looks like I 'm going to Boston!

Congratulations! That's a terrific run! Feels good, don't it?

Congratulations! That's a terrific run! Feels good, don't it?

It did when I was done! Big grin

Congratulations.

3:16:18. Looks like I 'm going to Boston!

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Hi all.  I ran the Ottawa Marathon this weekend.  Race report here, if you need a new novel to read. Smile

Finished in 3:31:56, which was basically to the edge of my fitness.  I ran pretty even splits and finished on fumes.  I'm happy with it because it was a 14:30 PR and I've had an erratic training cycle.

ETA:   (a) I did the math; I ran a 32 sec. negative split; (b) "erratic" means a WTF plan with decent aggregate mileage (more than I ever had in an 18-week period: ~600 miles), no speed at all, and  fewer LRs than I would have wanted (only 5 of 16+), including a HM and 10M PR; and (c) it was about a McMillan +6:30 off of my HM (down from McM+8 from my last FMs).

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Julia1971

Congratulations, Flinders!  I just finished reading your race report and agree that you ran a very disciplined pace.  Very consistent!  Hope you're feeling well this morning.

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Congratulations, Flinders!  I just finished reading your race report and agree that you ran a very disciplined pace.  Very consistent!  Hope you're feeling well this morning.

Thanks, Julia!  Quads are sore and stairs are a challenge, but otherwise I feel well.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

chances141

Hi all.  Love reading about all your training -- seems like a good group.

I'd like to play.  44-yr-old guy from Idaho.  I'm back after a two-and-a-half year hiatus from serious training and racing.  Looking for a BQ at the Salmon Marathon on September 7, 2013.  This will be my sixth go at the distance.  Judging by paces and effort, I've a ways to go, but hopeful the gains between now and then will be (just) enough.  :-)

Looking forward to catching up and contributing regularly.

Julia1971

This thread's been rather quiet lately but I thought I'd check in to see who was on deck now that fall marathon season has started...  Good luck today, Chances141!

If this is still maintained by someone, put me down for a sub3:30 goal at Richmond this fall, 16 Nov.

First marathon since 2011 (not counting a brutal 95 degree North Face Trail marathon in June) and training hasn't been as consistent this summer, but I think it could be realistic if all goes well.  I've done 4 marathons: 4:20, 4:10, 3:56, and 3:42, so hopefully the improving trend continues!

Anonymous Guest

Redemption! I ran Mohawk Hudson yesterday and got an 8-minute PR, finishing in 3:33:57 and beating my 3:35 goal (that I missed in New Jersey in May)! I guess now I'm going to have to keep training and actually go for sub-3:30 like the rest of you. I felt much more confident and much better trained than I did in May - amazing what a summer of unemployment (I was laid off in June, start a new job tomorrow) and higher mileage can do.

I'm running a few more this fall just for fun and to get closer to my 50 states goal, then need to decide if I'm making Boston my spring goal race or just running that to enjoy the experience and picking another spring one for my sub-3:30 attempt.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I'll be on the 2014 Sub-3:30 Marathon Goal thread. An injury and a cross-country move got in the way of my training for the TC Marathon ...

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Julia1971

Redemption! I ran Mohawk Hudson yesterday and got an 8-minute PR, finishing in 3:33:57 and beating my 3:35 goal (that I missed in New Jersey in May)! I guess now I'm going to have to keep training and actually go for sub-3:30 like the rest of you. I felt much more confident and much better trained than I did in May - amazing what a summer of unemployment (I was laid off in June, start a new job tomorrow) and higher mileage can do.

I'm running a few more this fall just for fun and to get closer to my 50 states goal, then need to decide if I'm making Boston my spring goal race or just running that to enjoy the experience and picking another spring one for my sub-3:30 attempt.

karen

Congratulations!  8 minutes is a huge PR.  My bet is if you can keep up the consistent training and high mileage, sub-3:30 is around the corner.  I wish I could give advice on spring marathons.  I've only done RnR USA and Boston.  If I had to pick one to attempt a PR, I would probably choose Boston.  And, I'm one of those people who thinks you can race AND enjoy the experience.  (Sorry to hear about losing your job but good luck with the new one.)

Anonymous Guest

Congratulations!  8 minutes is a huge PR.  My bet is if you can keep up the consistent training and high mileage, sub-3:30 is around the corner.  I wish I could give advice on spring marathons.  I've only done RnR USA and Boston.  If I had to pick one to attempt a PR, I would probably choose Boston.  And, I'm one of those people who thinks you can race AND enjoy the experience.  (Sorry to hear about losing your job but good luck with the new one.)

Thanks! In my favor is the fact that I just started running when I was 40 (I'm 46 now), so I'm still getting faster. My shorter PRs (everything from 5K to the half) say I should be able to go under 3:30.

And I guess you're right. I actually did enjoy the marathon yesterday, at least most of it...I guess you can do both.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel