Fastest/Slowest Marathon Courses (Read 4594 times)

va

... Steamtown drops 900 feet so is beyond aided. ...
    Sorry Mike, what does "beyond aided" mean? Thanks
    mikeymike

An aided course is one that drops a certain amount in elevation or is point-to-point in one direction and could have a prevailing tailwind, etc. Many times these types of courses are not elligible for world or national records. Boston is actually considered an aided course, due to its point-to-point nature, though it is not a fast course. A course that drops 900 feet is very aided to the point of being silly.

Runners run

JakeKnight

A course that drops 900 feet is very aided to the point of being silly.
        So the question: if you set a PR on a course like that - do you count it?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Eryn

The Colorado Marathon in Ft Collins is pretty fast. It's a gentle downhill the entire way; it loses 1353' over the 26.2 mi. http://www.ftcollinsmarathon.com/ Pikes Peak gets another nomination for slowest. I've done it in 8:02 and am hoping to finish in 6:30-7:00 this year. The elevation gain plus the altitude is a killer! The course record is 3:16:39 for the men (set by my hero, Matt Carpenter) and 4:15:18 for the women.

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

I'm running Steamtown this year and HELL YA I'll count it if I PR. I'm also running Philly a little over a month later and if I happen to get a PR there (not sure where or if I'll get a PR) I'll count that too!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The course record is 3:16:39 for the men (set by my hero, Matt Carpenter) and 4:15:18 for the women.
              I ran Pikes Peak last year and came in at 6:48, and was delighted. Matt Carpenter won, but came in at 3:47. He is not human and one cannot measure his accomplishments in human terms Wink He also holds the record for Leadville 100, from his first and only attempt I believe. Oxygen is overrated. Kick some Pikes Peak butt this year!
              JakeKnight

Many times these types of courses are not elligible for world or national records. Boston is actually considered an aided course, due to its point-to-point nature, though it is not a fast course.
                Do they publish which courses are *not* eligible? If a course is USTAF certified - is it eligible? How about a BQ course - if its officially a BQ course, is eligible for records? Just trying to figure out where I'd draw the line for counting PRs. I figure if its certified or a BQ course, I'd count it, no matter how "aided" it might be. If not, I'd like to know.

Steamtown is a BQ Big grin

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Eryn

Thanks, Trent, I plan to rock the Peak this year! Leadville was actually Matt's second attempt. He did it the first time a year or two before, and led the race up until about mile 70 then crashed. His Leadville course record was absolutely astounding! His altitude physiology is not human...

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

Portland, OR is supposed to be pretty fast. I know a bunch of girls who BQ'd at it last year.
                      mikeymike

Do they publish which courses are *not* eligible? If a course is USTAF certified - is it eligible? How about a BQ course - if its officially a BQ course, is eligible for records? Just trying to figure out where I'd draw the line for counting PRs. I figure if its certified or a BQ course, I'd count it, no matter how "aided" it might be. If not, I'd like to know.
                        A race can be certified and aided. Boston accepts just about any certified marathon. I'd count Steamtown as a PR if I were to ever run it and PR, odds are it would not be a national record or world record Smile So many things have to go right to run a fast marathon, no matter where it is...

Runners run

JakeKnight

A race can be certified and aided. Boston accepts just about any certified marathon. I'd count Steamtown as a PR if I were to ever run it and PR, odds are it would not be a national record or world record Smile So many things have to go right to run a fast marathon, no matter where it is...
                          Hmm. Okay - got a list of courses that should *not* be counted? I guess if Boston counts it, its good enough for me. Or should be. But I'd like my PRs to be legit. Call me anal. Then again, I'm not sure a really downhill course would be all that much faster. It might kill your quads and slow you down at the end. I dunno.

Many times these types of courses are not elligible for world or national records.
                            Well, damn.
                            2009: BQ?
                              Hmm. Okay - got a list of courses that should *not* be counted? I guess if Boston counts it, its good enough for me. Or should be. But I'd like my PRs to be legit. Call me anal. Then again, I'm not sure a really downhill course would be all that much faster. It might kill your quads and slow you down at the end. I dunno.
                              Elitest prick! Tongue And yes downhills can kill the quads if you don't train for them!

JakeKnight

Elitest prick! Tongue
                                Well, half right anyway ...