Smartphone: The Ultimate Runner's Tool (Read 343 times)

I read a great article on Scott Jurek by Gizmodo lately with the crux being the smartphone - iPhone in this case - being the 'ultimate tool'. Part about smartphones below:

Did you bring a phone with you?

I did. I was using an iPhone 6, and it was my camera, it was my communication device. It seems weird, if you’d have asked me 15 years ago if I’d bring a phone on a run I’d be like, heck no, I’d never do that. But it does anything, and it allowed me to pull up the map the GPS was sending out. The phone is the ultimate tool. It became my music player, and I’d have it playing from the speaker, not headphones, so I could hear rattlesnakes rattling or bears crawling through the woods. I would try to do a few updates on social media with it while I was on the mountain— I actually had better service than my wife, who was on dirt roads or in small towns, because I’d be on a mountain ridge getting a cell signal.

The technology can really enhance the outdoor experience, you just want to make sure you use it in a fashion that doesn’t disconnect you from the total experience.

Full article here

Do you agree? Personally, I can't imagine running without my phone now and it really adds something to every run I do.

Joann Y

Whatever.

My reasoning behind not running with my phone is less about it taking away from the experience or being a distraction and more about hating to carry stuff. I don't like carrying anything in my hands for sure. Key in a key pocket is about it.

My main reason for not running with music is I think I'd like it too much.

Yeah, well...sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

mikeymike

I don't agree but then not much about my running really has much in common with Scott Jurek's.

Plus you have to take what he says in an article for Gizmodo with a bit of a grain of salt since he's always marketing the business of Scott Jurek Professional Ultra Runner and I'm sure knows his audience.

The only time I run with my my phone or with music is on a treadmill. But to each their own.

Also, that link is broken.

Runners run

delicate flower

<3

May I suggest that we change the title of this thread to Smartphone:  The Runner's Ultimate Tool?

The current title has me thinking this:

photo 20140113_Warrior_642_zpseqzmzj7h.jpg

MTA:  On second thought, maybe that's not such a good idea either.  (Ilene, I'm looking at you.)

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

kilkee

runktrun

Whatever.

Yup.

I fell in love with running in the early '00s when any form of fun technology was just bulky and annoying, and I can't imagine running WITH my phone, or anything other than my watch. I actually like running; I don't want or need anything to distract me while I'm out there.  And while I haven't thru hiked the AT, I've spent many successive days alone hiking (the AT in numerous states + other LD trails), and many hours running both roads and trails.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

kilkee

runktrun

more about hating to carry stuff.

Haha, precisely why I ran my first 50mi trail run without any hydration pack or bottles.  (this race did not make self-fueling mandatory, AS about 6-8mi apart)

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Joann Y

I hate carrying my phone when I run. If I am on call I will sometimes bring it and even answer it while running. But I still hate it. And I really don't like smartphone armbands. I have one and don't know where it is. I would never buy another one. Ever. From anyone. Sam I am.

mikeymike

Oh dur. I just got this thread ... I haven't been on RA much lately so my spamdar is a bit rusty.

Runners run

Driver, Runner, Bestie

I do not see it as being an ultimate tool, but I do like the ability to be able to call for help, at least in theory.  As far as taking pictures, getting GPS positions, engaging in phone conversation, listening to music-- that is not me.

an amazing likeness

In case folks didn't catch Joann Y's reference....

Hey guys,

I am 'scratching an itch' and developing a new running armband product myself as I've been unsatisfied with armbands I've tried. I like some of the armbands out there and have bought previously Nike, Nathan etc but they're all strap based with plastic windows....

..so of course the OP -- who makes little arm satchels to hold one -- "can't imagine running without my phone now".

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

In case folks didn't catch Joann Y's reference....

..so of course the OP -- who makes little arm satchels to hold one -- "can't imagine running without my phone now".

That's a bit cynical but I am selling running armbands so naturally it's something I believe in. Not everyone has the money to buy a high-end GPS watch and to be honest, i like the fact I can listen to music and use Strava on my phone. Having an armband makes it a snap.

Each to their own. Smile

xhristopher

I'm kinda whatevers to the whole enhancing your experience but carrying your phone isn't a bad thing. I always have my phone simply because it's an emergency commutation device. So far this year I called 911 for an ambulance when the cyclist behind me was rear ended resulting in a broken vertebrae. I coordinated another runners quick pickup out of the woods after they turned an ankle badly and couldn't walk. I was the first to call 911 when a motorcyclist ahead of me lost control and crashed badly. In the past I was grateful to have my phone after being hit by a car and hauled off in an ambulance. I was able to call my family and let them know immediately why I wasn't going to be home in 5 minutes as expected. You find your way of carring it and just get used to it.

Now I'm picturing xhristopher as Mayhem.  Seems like a lot of bad stuff happens around him.