Where do you run? (Read 832 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

SpinDr: I am going to be in San Diego in the middle of June for a conference and was wondering if you could share a couple of your favorite running routes. I will be downtow close to the convention center. I was thinking of making up a couple of runs but if you have any you would like to share I would love to see them. I would like to do a run from my hotel over the bridge into Cornado. Not sure how to get to the bridge or how far that would be though.
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

I feel like I live in the middle of runners heaven. Or maybe I'm easily pleased, either way its all good. I can run through the canyons behind the house and around the reservoir nearby. Those two combined with another section of canyon and a couple nearby parks I can put together a multitude of runs 3-8 miles long. All of them away from any traffic at all. And, with a good possibility of seeing a hawk, bobcat or coyote along the way. Then there's the Santa Ana River trails nearby if I want something that's flat and fast. Between that and the great weather - gotta love California. Smile
        I was doing most of my runs on a rubberized track, but it's jacked up now. Sad Angry Not sure if I'll ever use it again if I move. It's funny, but today I was thinking about hard wants... I guess I found one... a rubberized track! The only time the track was a issue would be during the summer after a rain. You could smell the rubber. Now, I will be running around on a grass field. When it's wet I'll use my older shoes. I'll probably start running around the neighborhood again. I have to figure my run miles on the internet. The Garmin would be useful, but I do not feel like shelling the cash.

Vim

still alive

I run outside summer and winter. Yes, even at -30F I will be running outside. We have great trails along our river that I run on usually. I have also taken some long runs out in the countryside on the county roads. I also travel a bit for my job, so I run in all kinds of places. I just returned from two weeks in France. I ran along the Seine in Paris, along the Garonne in Bordeaux, in the Gardens of Lyon and through the midevil neighborhoods of Strasbourg. I have run in Beijing and Shanghai.

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

I am with you Greg, I too am orginally from ND and will run outside in any weather. My runs tend to be in the country on gravel roads and in farm land. Brad

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

vicentefrijole

I'm about half a mile from the UW Arboretum. It's a wooded road that winds around Lake Wingra, and is beautiful.
              I grew up in Madison and I agree... the UW Arb is BEAUTIFUL! Big grin I live in Chicago now... there's an excellent running/biking path ("Lakeshore path") that goes along Lake Michigan from the north of the city to the far south side... there are drinking fountains and restrooms at beaches along the way... very convenient for marathon training.
              Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Here in the Boston area we have some pretty great running options. The bulk of my runs are on the Charles River paths, the Emerald Necklace parks down to Arnold Arboretum, and the Minuteman Bikeway out toward Lexington. If I need some hills I take a drive down to the Blue Hils Reservation. There are lots of runners here. On a nice Saturday afternoon, the riverway can feel almost like a race with all the runners. Even late at night, in the rain, I rarely fail to see other runners.
                Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                  I have several options near my house, including a national park with nice paved trails. There is also a smaller park just down the road, several other trails and then I can also run on base. I have more than enough options - I just have to find the motivation to move off the couch, which I haven't found in almost two weeks.
                    GreginND - I just checked out your web .. that's pretty cool. Congrats on the transformation! You said you run in -30 degrees? I am here in MI and have been using the whole winter thing as an excuse for a while, is it just a matter of right clothing? It would seem that trails aren't plowed/sidewalks shoveled, etc. ... my excuses are creeping in, again ... how do you guys (and women, of course!) do it?

The steady plodding of the diligent leads surely to advantage(victory), But everyone who is hasty comes surely to poverty.

vicentefrijole

Here in the Boston area we have some pretty great running options. The bulk of my runs are on the Charles River paths...
                      Yeah, last time I visited Boston I was really happy with the running scene.. and you can pretty much run around and see the whole city in one long run... the Charles River path is great for tourists like me!
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You said you run in -30 degrees? I am here in MI and have been using the whole winter thing as an excuse for a while, is it just a matter of right clothing? It would seem that trails aren't plowed/sidewalks shoveled, etc. ... my excuses are creeping in, again ... how do you guys (and women, of course!) do it?
                        Hey, I'm just an hour NW of you--I ran all Winter...my mileage was down quite a bit (15-20 miles most weeks, when I had been in the 25-30 mile/week range for much of the Fall). My limit was pretty much any time when the windchill or air temps were much below 0º. I think the coldest day I ran was -5º windchill, but the sun was shining and it honestly didn't feel *that* bad. That said, there were days when I would have sold an organ or two for a treadmill.... Something I think I will look into for this Winter are a pair of NB shoes that are designed to have good traction on ice and snow and not have the cushioning go hard when it's cold. They also have removeable ice spikes. Either that or a pair of Ice Joggers or Yak Trax or something. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

GreginND - I just checked out your web .. that's pretty cool. Congrats on the transformation! You said you run in -30 degrees? I am here in MI and have been using the whole winter thing as an excuse for a while, is it just a matter of right clothing? It would seem that trails aren't plowed/sidewalks shoveled, etc. ... my excuses are creeping in, again ... how do you guys (and women, of course!) do it?
                          Well, -30 is colder than it usually gets here in Boston, but I do run all winter, with plenty of days below zero and windy. It's all about equipment and conditioning. Your body gets used to it. Just don't skimp on your clothing. An old sweat suit isn't going to cut it. You need a variety of moisture-wicking and wind-proof layers. When it's really cold I do my warmup indoors by doing jumping-jacks, squats, etc. Otherwise it's hard to choose the right amount of layers that will work both for the warmup and the workout.
                          Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                            all over! i am finally starting to get happy w/ the running in my current town-- i moved from the burbs to a city and the concrete and crabby drivers and sketchy characters really bummed me out for about 8 months. there's an overwhelming amount of concrete here, but there's also breezy waterfront and i found a path to liberty state park near my work for long runs, and sometimes i can sneak some sprints in on the lacrosse field of a local prep school, so i'm getting there. i'm kinda finding my favorite routes and figuring out the best times of day to run them and i'm finally settling in ok! still love love love running in my old town-- any business i have down there, i make sure to tack a run onto the end of it. oh, the lovely 'burbs-- safe running any time of day or night, folks have gardens that smell sweet, and the kids get out of your way when you say "sorry, on your left." plus, that one has fun hills and more parks than roads, it seems like. speaking of hills, i often head west to visit my sister, who lives on stanyan street in san francisco-- ha! hillllls! my dad lives in san clemente-- more hills! and sand! super fun & perfect weather! have to say, as much as i will always have nj in my heart, you california folks do have a sweet deal, too.