I'm a heel striker...do I need to change? (Read 1057 times)

My shoes...I wear out the outside of the heels after about 200 miles. There's barely any wear on the soles of my shoes except for the heel. I see it in pictures, I can feel it when I run. I've been running for years. I've just now started considering that maybe I should work on more of a mid-foot strike. or not? and if I should, how do I go about it? I mean, besides the obvious, "take notice of every single step I take" answer...are there drills for this sort of thing. am I just overthinking? Does it even matter? I was wondering if it could be the reason why I'm so injury prone when I do speed work and hills. In the last week,I have been attempting to change my foot strike and my calves and feet are really sore. Maybe I should work on it in my off season?

Jennifer mm#1231

JakeKnight

Prediction: this becomes an entertaining thread.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Scout7

According to THIS, no, you don't need to worry about it.
          I sat here for a very long time wondering if I should hit post. Blush

Jennifer mm#1231

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

That's worth copying here in full:
            Q: Coach, since I was young, I ran heel strike first. However, in high school track I changed over to Ball First running because I was doing shorter distances. Now I'm in college and want to run long distances and I am not sure which way is better. I have seen people run both ways, is one way more correct than the other for long distances? A: You're better off not trying to consciously make alterations of this type to your form. Besides, there's really no "either-or" when it comes to footstrike; everyone runs "heel-to-toe" to some degree, even if it may not appear that way. However, all runners will be "up on their toes" more at faster speeds. As you accumulate miles your body will naturally seek out the most efficient stride at any given pace. --Coach Kevin Beck

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

That's worth copying here in full:
              ok, thanks! I couldn't get that link to open for me. I'm satisfied with that answer. Yes

Jennifer mm#1231

Scout7

See? I CAN be civil.

The Greatest of All Time

I almost wrote the same thing.
                  all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

See? I CAN be civil.
                    I was actually worried you might be sick, and feeling so feeble you couldn't muster the energy to type, all the while mumbling "DILLIGAF", "snark", "globule's mom", and "180" at your screen.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

I was actually worried you might be sick, and feeling so feeble you couldn't muster the energy to type, all the while mumbling "DILLIGAF", "snark", and "180" at your screen.
                      I'm just tired from spending so much time with your mom last night.
                        Thanks for the question. I have the exact same problem.
                        "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
                          I'm just tired from spending so much time with your mom last night.
                          it was only a matter of time before the moms got involved in this thread.

Jennifer mm#1231

Scout7

it was only a matter of time before the moms got involved in this thread.
                            Of course. At least we answered your question first; give us SOME credit here.
                              Of course. At least we answered your question first; give us SOME credit here.
                              you're right. so, how was Jeff's mom?

Jennifer mm#1231

JakeKnight

I sat here for a very long time wondering if I should hit post. Blush
                                Sure. Why not? It's a fair question. But you know the hot button topics always get interesting. You'll just have to wade through the silliness to find your answer. Did you know the vast majority of elite runners are heel strikers? It's scientific fact.* * I have no shame.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------