10 mile race in mid-Sept....? (Read 754 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is it likely I could do this?: Bridge Run At this stage in the game I am able to do a VERY slow 5 mile run (12 minute pace) without any trouble at all...but a 10 mile race in 2.5 months.... Is this even feasible/advisable? I really have the racing bug, but I don't want to hurt myself and make it so I can't run a very special 5k in Oct. (an autism puzzle run--my little nephew is autistic and it's very important to me that I am able to run that in his name). The Susan G. Komen 5k is also 2 weeks after the bridge run and I want to do that, as well. Remember...I'm 33 (old, LOL) and still quite a novice. Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

aes

I checked out the race and it sounds like lots of fun. As most of us do, I am going to preface this by saying that I'm not a professional so this is simply my opinion and what I would tell to a friend. First of all, I say go for it and this is why. You are already a steady runner and have just finished a 5k. You mentioned that you are able to do a 5 mile slow run which means that you've already built up half of the race. If you start "training" on Monday then that will give you 12 weeks to train which I feel is very doable. One program that helps to give me an idea is a training "smart coach" at www.runnersworld.com you can go there, enter the time of your last race, how many miles you do a week, how long you need to train, etc. Then it will come up with a program to train by. Of course, you will probably want to make some adjustments so that it fits you best but I say go for it!! I'm still waiting this week out for my hamstring to clear up so I can "start" training for my marathon which is just 3 weeks after your race. Let's cross our fingers that I can make it. Let us know what you decide though. I think it would be a great goal to train for!!
      Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I think it is doable, so long as you keep your training pace slow, and give yourself a recovery week every two weeks. Your longest run so far is 5.5 miles. 2.5 months should be enough time to bring it up to the 8-9 mile range, and leave the longest distance for race day. It's all about staying injury free by giving your body time to recover. If you can do that, then 10 miles is doable. Good luck!
          Remember...I'm 33 (old, LOL) Wink k
          1st--Yes, you can do it. 2nd--33? Please. When I was 33, you were 12, so you're not going to get a lot of sympathy out of me! Big grin Distance runners, btw, don't hit their prime until they are between 28-32.
          My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

One program that helps to give me an idea is a training "smart coach" at www.runnersworld.com you can go there, enter the time of your last race, how many miles you do a week, how long you need to train, etc. Then it will come up with a program to train by. Of course, you will probably want to make some adjustments so that it fits you best but I say go for it!!
            Oh, that program sounds excellent! I will definitely check that out! And I probably wouldn't be running the race alone--I have a feeling that backroadrunner would do it with me! Big grin I think I'm gonna give it a go...I can always not register if a few weeks before the race I'm not feeling up to the challenge, too. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

1st--Yes, you can do it. 2nd--33? Please. When I was 33, you were 12, so you're not going to get a lot of sympathy out of me! Big grin Distance runners, btw, don't hit their prime until they are between 28-32.
              Big grin So...I can be dirt and you can be "older than dirt," right?! Wink

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Don't forget you can change your mind at the last minute and run in the 5 mile or even 5K that day if you're not up to it! The registration fee's just a few dollars different. With that in mind, why not sign up for it now to give yourself a little extra kick in the pants. Big grin We'll be cheering you on!

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Don't forget you can change your mind at the last minute and run in the 5 mile or even 5K that day if you're not up to it! The registration fee's just a few dollars different. With that in mind, why not sign up for it now to give yourself a little extra kick in the pants. Big grin We'll be cheering you on!
                  Ooh, I could do that--change at the last minute? Hmmm...I may go ahead and register, then. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Of course, you risk someone razzing you mercilessly if you don't prepare properly and THEN chicken out... Not that anyone _I_ know would give someone else a hard time... Roll eyes

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Good point! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

"I can always not register if a few weeks before the race I'm not feeling up to the challenge, too." Declare it! Register now, that will be more motive for your training. It is totally doable! Good luck, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...I see my "friends" have a death wish for me! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Just weeding out the competition... Evil grin Wink Evil grin Wink Clowning around

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just weeding out the competition... Evil grin Wink Evil grin Wink Clowning around
                              :insert ROTFLMAO smilie: Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well, dammit, if I'm going to shoot for this race, then I might as well go for the Grand Rapids half marathon at the end of Oct... Big grin I'm not going to commit to anything this far in advance--my FIL's health is deteriorating (he has been fighting bladder, liver, kidney, ureter, and now cancer on his spine for over a decade)...his luck with chemo may be nearing its end. But I will still train with the goal of these two longer races. k

~ Sarah Kay